Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Car Seat Dilemma: WWYD? (with 2 dc or more) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51845)

SAHMLamar 10-15-2006 01:51 PM

Car Seat Dilemma: WWYD? (with 2 dc or more)

It's pretty long. :giggle: OK- So my mom offered to get my YDD a new carseat for Christmas. My ODD is currently in a Britax Roundabout and we love it. YDD, still in her carrier (but will definately need a new one by Christmas).

We plan to have more dc and are currently thinking we'll just allow the Lord to send them as He feels. Though with 1st dd, no AF until I started weaning at 13 mo. No sign of her now... All that to say that we think we could have another dc within 1-2 years again...

So I was thinking I'd get ODD either a belt positioning booster, like the Britax Parkway. Or maybe a seat , the Platinum CarGo Booster Car Seat by Graco, that is a 5 pt. harness until 40 lbs, then belt postitioning until 100.

My ODD will be 2.5 right before Christmas. Following the growth chart, I estimate that at Christmas she will be almost 37" and almost exactly 30 lbs. I guess what I'm trying to figue out is what to do?

ETA: We have a car now (Toyota Camry) and HOPE we'll have a van by the next dc, but no guarantees, so space is an issue...

I could get ODD a new carseat that will last her until she outgrows them at 8. And a Britax Parkway def. would last that long. But would she really be safe in one at 2.5? I could get her the convertible booster, and then when's she's like 5, get her a small booster and give the convertible to my YDD. I could leave her in her Roundabout until she's about 5 and then get her a regular booster seat and get YDD a roundabout, too. If got YDD a roundabout, we could hopefully pass that one to a new baby, and pass ODD's down to YDD. Following?

I do like that most of the other carseats have cupholders, as we allow drinking in the car. And we're really tight not using a carseat that has expired (they expire after 5 years of use) and her roundabout will expire shortly after she turns 5.

I just don't know how long a child should be in a 5 pt harness vs. a belt positioning. I just really don't know what to do. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Hope this wasn't too confusing. Thanks.

kezoo 10-15-2006 02:08 PM

Re: Car Seat Dilemma: WWYD? (with 2 dc or more)

IMO, a 2.5 year old should NOT be in a booster. We talked to the people at our local children's shop (they are VERY knowledgeable) and their comment was that a 5-pt seat is much safer than a booster, and a booster shouldn't even be considered until about 4 years old. I don't think a Roundabout will last your ODD until she is 5, as it goes to 40lbs max, and there is also a height max. My ds was 29lbs when he turned 2 and now at 3.5, he's close to 40lbs. I would suggest giving the Roundabout to your YDD and getting either a Marathon or another Britax convertible seat for your ODD. We recently bought a 2nd Marathon and I found some great deals on the web for last year's fabrics and free shipping. :)

jkelstaten 10-15-2006 02:16 PM

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I *think* there is an age requirement for a boster, not just height/weight. Just like the rear facing car seat for infants. I did look at the one car seat you mentioned that had the 5-point harness & then could convert to the belt-positioning booster. It looked really nice to us, but we ended up going a totally different route.

napua 10-15-2006 02:38 PM

I would never put a 2.5 year old in a booster. They just are not as safe as a 5 pt harness. My 5 year old is still in a 5 pt and will be until she is 8 years old and no longer in a carseat.:goodvibes: Have you thought about getting her a Britax Regent?

kimb96 10-15-2006 02:44 PM

I would not put a 2.5 year old in a booster. The mininum requirements to be out of a harness is 4 years AND 40lbs. A harness is safer than a booster even beyond the requirements so the longer you can keep her harnessed the better. I would also suggest a marathon or decathlon for your odd and give the roundabout for your younger dd. I did see decathlons marked down to $219 shipped.

singlemomto3 10-15-2006 03:03 PM

You probably need another carseat that goes past the 40lb harnessed limit. Then when your older one outgrows the roundabout, you can switch them so the baby is in the roundabout. My daughter is outgrowing the roundabout at 4 years old and only 35lbs. So doubt it would ever last to 5 years old. Harnesses are safest, so stick with those until your children don't meet the weight requirements.

KnottyLDSMama 10-15-2006 03:10 PM

Yeah, like they all said. lol You have to be 4 AND meet the weight requirement before you're even allowed to be in a belt versus a harness. But IMO even 4 is too young. DS is still in his carrier (but will need a new one in a month or so, as he's 6 months old and already approaching 28 inches), but we'll be getting a Britax for him that he will use until it expires.

MamaMel 10-15-2006 03:12 PM

I would get your ODD a new carseat. Either a marthon, decathalon or the new fisherprice that is made by britax, and then move YDD in the roundabout. I just but my DS the decathalon and he's 2.5. He's no where near mature enough to be in a seatbelt and plus hes only 35 pounds.

SAHMLamar 10-15-2006 07:52 PM

Stupid question. If you're supposed to have a child in a 5 pt harness until 4, then why does BRU site say Britax Parkway is made for children 3-8? Please don't think I'm stupid or irresponsible. :sadno: I just haven't made it this far into carseat life. When we got our Roundabout, I thought my ODD would be in it for a long time and we'd deal with her next carseat when she outgrew it.
I also have a friend who has a ds that is a large boy and she put him in a booster seat (belt postioning) at 3. So I just assumed based on her and the age range for the seats that this was normal.

So how do these seats fit in your car. I mean if I have to squeeze 3 carseats in the back seat of my car, can I fit a Roundabout , an infant seat and a marathon or decatholon in a Camry?

What other seats go higher than 40 lbs in a 5 pt harness?

Thanks to you all!

MamaMel 10-15-2006 08:06 PM

im not to sure on whats right or wrong about ages and booster seats. I just know my kids will be in 5pt harnesses for as long as possible (65 pounds)

Here is a link the the fisher price one its made by britax but w/out all the bells and whistles it goes to 55 pounds

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Fisher-...onvertible.pro