Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Milk sensitivity...how did you determine it was a possiblity? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52018)

Samantha 10-15-2006 10:32 PM

Milk sensitivity...how did you determine it was a possiblity?

I Hav enever delt with sensitivites, but I think my DS might be having issues. And milk seems to be the culprit (havent done elimination diet, but I am confident in milk being the problem)

Anyways, what made you start eliminating things?

babydirtybike 10-15-2006 11:37 PM

Re: Milk sensitivity...how did you determine it was a possiblity?

My DS cried and cried and seemed in pain. No one in the house was sleeping and I felt like I was going mental. I figured there had to be some good reason for the crying.

I looked up online "colic and gas" and some sites suggested an elimination diet. I started just taking out dairy in within a day and a half he was a different baby. I then tried eliminating a bunch of other stuff as well.

Wheat and eggs were giving him a hard time too, but both are now ok. Dairy is still off limits. I have gone for 5 days without and then had some (4x) just to be sure, and it makes for a very long night.:cry: :banghead:

Good luck .

keikiko 10-16-2006 03:19 AM

It's very common for babies to have sensitivities to milk and soy protien as well as eggs, tomato, and wheat.

If you think it's only dairy cut it out of your diet and you'll have a new baby!

It was hard to get the hang of totally avoiding certain foods (accidently got a few soy lattes and realized it after the fact!) but you'll get the hand of it. I'm a couple months off soy and dairy and I don't even think about it anymore!

Beckyspapercreations 10-16-2006 03:22 AM

My ds had eczema from just a few weeks old. I never new that could be a symptom or allergies or sensitivities. When he was 7 month old I gave him yogurt and he broke out in hives, so it was pretty obvious.
Cutting all of his allergens out of my diet helped him immensly.

MistyP 10-16-2006 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydirtybike (Post 370970)
My DS cried and cried and seemed in pain. No one in the house was sleeping and I felt like I was going mental. I figured there had to be some good reason for the crying.

I looked up online "colic and gas" and some sites suggested an elimination diet. I started just taking out dairy in within a day and a half he was a different baby. I then tried eliminating a bunch of other stuff as well.

Wheat and eggs were giving him a hard time too, but both are now ok. Dairy is still off limits. I have gone for 5 days without and then had some (4x) just to be sure, and it makes for a very long night.:cry: :banghead:

Good luck .

:yeahthat: My DD also spits up a lot which is normal for my girls but the crying was horrible. I also talked with the LC that I work with after the ped's office said to give her cereal at 3 weeks :banghead: Anyway, the LC recommended trying block feedings since I have a huge supply, keeping her upright, and eliminating dairy and caffeine. I started the caffeine again and havn't had any changes. I have considered trying to eliminate more things to see if her spitting up would be better but havn't tried it.

The sad thing is DD #2 was horribly colicy and I didn't know about all of this!

MamaMel 10-16-2006 05:41 AM

my DD would cry and be gassy all the time. So I just eliminated all dairy and w/in a week she was a new baby. Now at 6 months she can do dairy fine. Just as a newborn I guess the milk proteins were to hard on her little tummy :hugs: its hard a first but I got used to it

Lisa-Rachelle 10-16-2006 06:56 PM

I've eliminated tomato, dairy and soy from my diet. And my daughters temperment and sleeping has really improved.
She was always gassy, fussy and crying. While she isnt a TOTALLY different baby, I do notice changes. One of which being the absence of excessive poopy diapers (she used to have 5 a day!).

MamaMel 10-16-2006 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennesseemom (Post 373353)
I've eliminated tomato, dairy and soy from my diet. And my daughters temperment and sleeping has really improved.
She was always gassy, fussy and crying. While she isnt a TOTALLY different baby, I do notice changes. One of which being the absence of excessive poopy diapers (she used to have 5 a day!).

im glad things are getting better for you

dirtdartwife 10-16-2006 07:02 PM

I never actually figured it out till my kids were older, believe it or not. :blush: Aside from my middle being colicky as all get out until she was 6 months old, and she SPIT UP ALL THE DANG TIME... so for her, it was a simple matter of figuring out what in the world she could hold down.

My for my oldest and youngest, their milk sensitivities didn't show up until they hit about a year. And when I would try to give them whole milk, their belly would get hard, they'd be gassy, and then their poop would have this acidic smell to it and they'd have the runs. However, the runs, because it was basically stomach acid, they'd get these "diaper rashes" that were basically acid burns. But as soon as I cut out the milk, they were good. My oldest outgrew it by the time she was about 2.5, and my youngest is only 17 months, so we've got some time with her yet.

good luck mama! :hugs:

CarrieMF 10-16-2006 07:05 PM

With my youngest she projectiled yellow for her first 3 weeks. I was fed up with and it took her to the dr. He suspected a dairy issue so we did stool samples(not easy with bf'd baby poop) and they came back as positive for a reaction. She was also a screamer and continued to projectile until she was 16months but it was not yellow anymore. I had to avoid all dairy plus the hidden dairy which is in so many things.