Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   C-diff (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52144)

Luvmybabies 10-16-2006 11:43 AM

C-diff

Anyone dealt with this?

kimb96 10-16-2006 11:45 AM

Re: C-diff

I'm a nurse, I've seen plenty of c diff.

Luvmybabies 10-16-2006 11:48 AM

Our GI's office wants me to bring in stool samples from Corey to check for it.... when I called our ped's office about it they said they wanted to see him right away? I have been in tears all morning here, I haven't even attempted to look and see what it is.

I originally called the GI on Friday because Corey had mucous in his stools again, they never got back to me until I called (angry) this morning. He still has the mucous in his stools, they are bright green and he's having very painful gas.

kimb96 10-16-2006 11:59 AM

C diff isn't that big of a deal, it can be easily treated. It is mostly an oppurtunistic bacteria. Usually people get it after being on antibiotics. C diff actually lives in the intestine and is considered a bad bacteria if it gets out of control. The good bacteria keeps the c diff under control and keeps it from flourishing. If the antibiotics kill off the good bacteria, the c diff can grow and wreak some havoc on the intestines. It causes diarrhea and cramping. It also smells terrible, once you smell it you will never forget it. Most of us in healthcare can diagnose it from a sniff :yuck: It isn't terribly contagious as long as you are washing your hands real good after changing diapers. Washing in hot should kill what is in the diapers although you might want to move the pail into a garage if you can until he gets over it. I would clean the pail with bleach after washing diapers too. Here is good site that explains it pretty simply. I hope Corey is feeling better soon :hugs:

http://www.cdiffsupport.com/aboutcdiff.html

ETA from you described Coreys symptoms sound more like rotavirus. The green stools are more consistant with rotavirus than c diff although I have seen it in c diff.

Luvmybabies 10-16-2006 12:03 PM

Thanks for explaining and the link Kim, I feel a bit better after reading that.
He's never been on antibiotics, so maybe that's not what it is. The poor kid has just been through so much, I wish we could get his belly feeling better :(

Okiemunchkinsmom 10-16-2006 12:36 PM

My dfd was diagnosed with c. diff at 4 mo old. A round of vancomycin took care of it. I have to say the vanco seemed to make her feel a lot worse than the c. diff did.......she was miserable and it actually made her have blood in her pooh. Her pooh was bright green, and the smell is something like sulfery-boiled eggish-barfy. She also had never been on antibiotics, in fact she had none of the risk factors for having it.

I would highly recommend you read everything you can find on c. diff if your son is diagnosed. The spores can hang around for YEARS, so it's best to be as careful as you can with changing and diaper areas. And everyone needs to wash, wash, wash!

geckoed 10-16-2006 03:32 PM

my son had this. And he's allergic to vancomyacin so it was a bit of an ordeal for us. Let us know what the culture shows

Luvmybabies 10-16-2006 07:12 PM

Well, after seeing the ped and then speaking with the NP from the pedi GI's office they aren't convinced that its c-diff. With all the issues that Corey has had (food allergies, still barely eats solids) with his belly and gi tract they want to do an endoscopy. That wasn't a total shock to me since it was mentioned over the summer. She mentioned something about an irritation of his stomach lining - in much bigger medical terminology, I was on my cell phone and didn't have a pen to write it down though. I'll have to call them in the am if I can't rack my brain and figure it out, first word started with an L second word with an H (awful, I know).
Soo.... next time he poops I need to get it down to the lab for testing and a culture.

Luvmybabies 10-17-2006 01:31 PM

Well, poop is off to the lab. I called the GI's office this morning - it is Lymphoid Hyperplasia of the stomach that will be checking for on the endoscopy.