Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Does anyone else have a late/slow talker? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52202)

laneylue+2 10-16-2006 01:01 PM

Does anyone else have a late/slow talker?

DD is almost 20 months old and she only says around 27-30 words and 1/3 of those would sound pretty much the same to a stranger (like ball, bath, bubble, baby), though DH and I know what she's saying.

I talked to her pediatrician about it last week and he said that's fine, that they only expect around 20 words at her age. However, on another very busy birthboard that I use, the babies her age are saying all kinds of things that DD doesn't. For instance, they say "no" and say their name and stuff. DD only shakes her head no and doesn't call herself anything yet.

DD has always been relatively quiet. She never was a crier unless she was hungry, never a big babbler, she's always quiet in the car, etc. She was always very ahead in her physical milestones such as sitting up, rolling over, crawling, walking, etc. She understands pretty complex commands and knows a few signs that I have taught her.

What really drives me crazy is that she can't (or won't) say the basics, like "food," "hungry," "eat," "thirsty," etc. so sometimes it's hard to know what she wants, yet she says "football" and "good dog" which are totally useless to me! She does say "I love you" and "thank you" though they aren't pronounced well, but at least those have some use!:giggle:

Anyway, sorry to ramble for so long but I was just wondering if anyone else has a DC who isn't very chatty.

CarrieMF 10-16-2006 01:06 PM

Re: Does anyone else have a late/slow talker?

She sounds fine to me. My youngest didn't talk until she was 2 and didn't say her name(or attempt anything) until she was 3. My other 2 talked earlier. I couldn't tell you when my kids said "hungry" or "thirsty" those are kinda complex words for a not quite 2yo. They pick up on the simpler words first because they're easier to say.

masonite 10-16-2006 01:09 PM

Um, most definitely! Camden is 20 months old, and says maybe three words. (Literally!)

Mason (his big brother) was kind of a slow talker too. But, he was SUCH a thinker, that he was observing first. Then, BAM he all of the sudden started talking full sentences. He had what they call a "language explosion."

Camden doesn't look like he'll do that. He's most likely delayed due to all of his health problems, but we're having evaluated (for speech delay) in a few weeks. He has been delayed in most bigger things too (walking, crawling, etc.) so I'm not super worried. :)

It's so easy to compare your babies to other peoples babies. We just have to remember that each child learns and grows at different rates. She might be focusing on something else right now, ya know?

rowynne 10-16-2006 01:55 PM

Sofia has a HUGE vocabulary at 20mos but STILL doesnt call herself anything but "baby" & doesnt call my middle dd anything either (Julia). "average" words a child should have is 25-50 by 18mos. (thats they only standards I could find when I started writing down dds words at 15mos). Between 20-24mos I have found that most kids have a language explosion. They will go from just a few words to a ton overnight & you will be like WTH?????

geckoed 10-16-2006 02:29 PM

:giggle: relax hon. My DS is over 20 months. He says Mom, and dada. He can wave bye-bye now. Thats it. He points out what he wants and understands a lot. Not as much as most kids his age. But he'll get there. He's going to be eval'd just to see if there is an oral motor issue. He never babbled and didn't coo until after 6 months of age. But he's got awesome communicative intent, and great social behaviors. Its NOT autism like my oldest... he's just a late talker.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 10-16-2006 02:43 PM

she sounds right on track to me :)

some mamas, not saying here but in life say "oh my child can"
and insert lots of things, alotof the time thee child doesnt do half of what they claim but some do it for attention in making it seem like there child is just that more advanced than everyone else's, als you got the "birds" which is what i call them, they say oh my "baby" does that "TOO"
alot of times, people just say there child is at a stage of doing what others are doing just so they don't feel like there child is behind.
hope that makes sense
i think your baby is right on track, so nor worries:thumbsup: **BigHugs**

Kimmomy2dom 10-16-2006 02:46 PM

She sounds fine! My two year old "talks" a lot but doesn't SAY much, LOL. His doc asked how his talking was (he screamed all the way through his 2 year check up) and I said "fine". I don't know if it is by his definition, but I think it is, KWIM?
My dad didn't talk 'til he was 3...

bobandjess99 10-16-2006 04:20 PM

Wow...i do developmental screenings professionally and that many words at that age is WELL above the level of "being worried"......I'm sure dd didn't have that many words then...she sort of didn't talk a lot until very recently, and is now exploding with words......

desertblossom79 10-16-2006 04:38 PM

She sounds just fine to me too. At 20 mos, my older dd has NO words, not even one all she did was grunt, point and cry. We had a home visit with a SLP who was just sure she could get dd to talk and I just wasn't supplying her with enough words. She was impressed with how I gave dd words for everything but even she couldn't get dd to do more than grunt. Her cognitive skills scored in the 36 mos range at that evaluation (she could understand things like a 3yo at 1.5yo) but her expressive score was 6-9mos (she had the verbal communication skills of an infant) But she STILL did not qualify for therapy! They wanted her re-evaluated after she turned 2yo if she still wasn't talking. About a month after the first eval she started talking in full sentences and she hasn't stopped since! She's smart as a whip and quite gregarious now. All this to say every toddler is different and I agree with the poster who said some people exaggerate (or flat out lie sometimes) about what their child can do. :hugs: to you mama, she sounds like a normal toddler to me.

Jeni

milniks7 10-16-2006 10:09 PM

My ds, #6 was a really slow talker..and let me tell you...he hardly had any words at two..but now at 4..the kid never, and I mean never..shuts up..lol! He would talk to a door post if it would listen...he has sooo much to say..it is exhausting..lol. My littlest is 16 months and only says mom and dad and one sib name...

Nikki
mom to Shea,Anya,Molly,luke,Noah,Aedan and Lachlan