Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   9 mo loooooooose stools -UPDATE IN 1ST POST (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52280)

CMamma 10-16-2006 03:39 PM

9 mo loooooooose stools -UPDATE IN 1ST POST

WELL WE JUST GOT BACK FROM THE ER. THEY WANTED US TO GO TO THE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL AFTER CONTINUED DIAREAH & HARDLY ANY EATING ON THE 9 MO PART YESTERDAY & THEN NO DRINKING TODAY & HE STARTED TO PUKE TO BOOT BUT AFTER 3 DETOURS & AN HOUR + 40 MINS IN THE CAR TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THE HECK WE WERE WE JUST WENT TO THE HOSPITAL WE COULD FIND! ANYWAY, THE DOC SAID IT'S ROTAVIRUS FOR BOTH BOYS. :cry:

THE 3 YO IS OK... FUSSY/CRANKY/SMART BUTT TO EVERYTHING I SAY. GUESS THAT'S HIS WAY OF BEING SICK!!!

BABY IS FUSSY... FEELING BETTER AFTER THE IV I GUESS. WAS TOLD NO MILK BASED STUFF OR FOOD. FLUIDS/PEDIALYTE-ISH STUFF ONLY WHICH SHOULD BE FUN FOR THE NEXT 24-HOURS SINCE HE WON'T TAKE PEDIALYTE & I DON'T BLAME HIM - TASTES LIKE CRAPOLA! LOL THEY WERE GOING TO ADMIT HIM IF THE IV DIDN'T HELP BUT HE SEEMS A LOT BETTER. STILL NOT 110% BUT WAY BETTER & HONESTLY I'M HAPPIER WE'RE AT HOME.

Anything I can/should do for him? My older DS has them too... so I'm not sure if it's related at all. I thought older DS was diet since he's not acting sick at all. But younger DS has been really fussy the past day or two & then all the sudden he's pooping up a storm (3yo has just had 2 loose stools so could just be fruit since it's one today & one yesterday he's not sick at all).

The baby is like pooping every chance he gets & it's runnnnny. It stinks to high heaven. He's not very willing to drink anything. I'm having to really force the issue. He drank once at 7 am & once around 3 pm & it's 5:30 now & he's resisting. He's had one pee dipe & the rest lots & lots of poo. He's slept 4 times today which is really odd for him - long naps & acted rather fussy too.

Any suggestions? He seems more willing to eat than drink. And I've tried offering liquidy-ish foods & he won't take them. He'll only take bread or puffs... no nannas, fruit, etc. It's bread/puffs or nada.

sunshinebabies3 10-17-2006 08:07 AM

Re: 9 mo loooooooose stools

IT SOUNDS LIKE ROTAVIRUS! I hope not. I would get the baby checked out. dehydration can happen quickly with no major signs. and if it is rotavirus, you need to know b/c it is nearly impossible to kil and super contagious!!! you'll want to boil your dipes or something!!

as for symptoms, you can get some lactinex granules at the pharmacy and they make a world of difference! you just sprinkle them in some yogurt or something and they take them.

also--the brat diet.

bananas rice applesauce toast

it is supposed to help. good luck!

CMamma 10-17-2006 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshinebabies3 (Post 374578)
IT SOUNDS LIKE ROTAVIRUS! I hope not. I would get the baby checked out. dehydration can happen quickly with no major signs. and if it is rotavirus, you need to know b/c it is nearly impossible to kil and super contagious!!! you'll want to boil your dipes or something!!

as for symptoms, you can get some lactinex granules at the pharmacy and they make a world of difference! you just sprinkle them in some yogurt or something and they take them.

also--the brat diet.

bananas rice applesauce toast

it is supposed to help. good luck!

That's the scary thing I was thinking.

I've never heared of lactinex. They are safe for his age?

He won't eat anything but a little bread or puffs... that's it & I have to force the issue.

I must take him in you think?

sunshinebabies3 10-17-2006 09:59 AM

we gave lactinex around that age and ours are preemies. I would take the youngest one in. he could get dehydrated quickly. I would try the pedialite and water now though. but yeah, i'd take him in. you dont want to be in the ER tonight if it is rotavirus!

CMamma 10-17-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshinebabies3 (Post 374899)
we gave lactinex around that age and ours are preemies. I would take the youngest one in. he could get dehydrated quickly. I would try the pedialite and water now though. but yeah, i'd take him in. you dont want to be in the ER tonight if it is rotavirus!

I just called. They told me he doesn't need to be seen. They actually said to stop BFing or FFeeding him & only offer him clear fluids :headscratch: but no BM or formula for 24 & nothing red... then tomorrow try BM or formula + rice cereal, nannas & applesauce. I'm confused.

CMamma 10-17-2006 07:34 PM

Re: 9 mo loooooooose stools -UPDATE IN 1ST POST

:bumpsign:

9800Emily 10-17-2006 07:52 PM

:hugs: Sorry you babies are so sick. Hope everyone is felling better soon.

Leininger27 10-17-2006 10:32 PM

Rotavirus is awful! All 3 of my older kids had it (at different times) and they all were in the hospital for it! It is very contagious so make sure you wash hands often and you are going to want to do something with your cd!

You are really going to have to push fluids! That is the main concern!

CMamma 10-17-2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leininger27 (Post 377216)
Rotavirus is awful! All 3 of my older kids had it (at different times) and they all were in the hospital for it! It is very contagious so make sure you wash hands often and you are going to want to do something with your cd!

You are really going to have to push fluids! That is the main concern!

Luckily, or unluckily, however you want to look at it, when it all started, my oldest was at school & they have Pull-ups at school & so he was in sposies there... & for my youngest we happened to have a pack of sposies from a friend we were using b/c we had a busted pipe b/c of some digging that caused a break in our water line (it was wash day & I had stretched it to the limit & ran out of course I was doing a wash when the line broke). Long story short, we have been in sposies a couple days... & I just decided to keep it that way to keep the risk away from having to fight to kill the virus. Not interusted in fighting that battle. I don't need any more :banghead: than I've had!

janendragon 10-17-2006 11:24 PM

are you breastfeeding? because thats not considered a milk product

btw, i just read above.... BM IS NOT TO BE STOPPED, they are lying, the best thing for your dc right now is BM, its better and easier absorbed than pedialyte!