Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Update on How DD is doing after trying some of your advice! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52407)

EmnJJsMom 10-16-2006 08:21 PM

Update on How DD is doing after trying some of your advice!

Earlier today I was so excited about hitting the 9 month mark. Then today at the dr office, her ped tells me she wants me to supplement because DD has lost 2 lbs in the last 2 months. I said...Well she's peeing plenty and pooping 0-3 times a day. She said that even with that, she is obviously not getting enough breastmilk. I don't know what to do :( Yes she has been VERY crabby lately, waking 2-4 times a night to nurse, which she hasn't done since she was about 4 weeks old, and yes she has lost weight, and yes I'm nursing her 12-13 times a day...but if she's peeing good, I don't get it?? Also, we are having a few issues nursing because of teething (which she admitted she has teeth coming in)

She wants me to nurse her and then give her a bottle after EVERY FEEDING :yuck: She has a weight check next week.

You think I can spend the week doing extra pumping and drinking mothers milk and see if that helps before I settle on supplementing ?? I never wanted to give her an oz of formula :cry:

It just kills me, I feel like I've failed her. I told my mom about it too and my mom is all "Don't you realize you have to do what is best for her?? You can't be selfish and force her to breastfeed only just because that's what YOU want" etc etc etc...that's all I've heard all night :cry:

mom2kailinconnor 10-16-2006 08:33 PM

Re: Just when I finally made it this far...

I am not bfing anymore (that's a different post, lol) but I would think that some extra pumping and something to boost your supply would be a good idea. It definitely sounds like she is not getting enough with her change in behavior, but I don't think I would give in to supplementing just yet, jmo. You know what is best for your baby girl and good luck with whatever you decide!

mom2kailinconnor 10-16-2006 08:34 PM

Oh, and I meant to say CONGRATS on your milestone, it really is a success that you have made it this far!

BeedieWeedieB 10-16-2006 08:46 PM

I agree, dont give up yet. You have done great to get this far. My 8 month old is a chunk but I feel I cant keep up with him. I never seem to have a good supply, my letdown always takes forever and I can hardly pump anything ever. That said my oldest nursed for 17 months, not exclusively and he's a thin boy but healthy.
The weight loss could easily be due to teething anf not wanting to really eat a ton.
GL mama,
heidi

babygirls2 10-16-2006 08:57 PM

Oh no....:hugs: ...honestly...IMO, I don't get the huge fuss over 2 lbs in 2 months! :headscratch: My DD can poop that in a day. KWIM? I mean as long as she is in her percentile and hasn't fallen off of it, she is having her poops and pees like she is supposed too, I don't see why her pedi should be asking you to supplement. :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:...Personaly...I would wait it out a little longer. Is she on any solids? My dd has just really started them in her daily routine. She gets 3 oz of BM and cereal in the AM and then 1 oz of veggies in the evening. If she isn't, maybe she's letting you know it's time to start. :dunno: My DD's weight came to a stand still for the last few months. I mean she gained only like 3 lbs in that amount of time. Then in the last well check...she went up 6 lbs IN ONE MONTH! :spit: You might try adding more protein and calories to your diet. Have you lost any weight? What the nurse told me at the health clinic (closest thing to an LC around here, :rolleyes:) is that if my weight is at a stand still then I am getting enough calories and fat to nourish us both. If I am losing weight then I need to take a look at my diet to make sure that I am getting enough of the right foods. If I am getting PLENTY of cals and fat and still losing...then I am blessed with a high metabolism. Unfortunetly.....I'm not and I am at a stand still and have been since I lost most of the preggo weight. :yuck: ....Anyhoo.....
My DD does most of her nursing at night and then has a/b 8 nursing in the daytime hours. (She nurses a/b 4-6 times at night.) So basically all night..LOL...It mostly started like that when the teething started. She is getting in 6 teeth right now. They have just broken through today. So I say it's your DD's teething that has put a halt to the weight gain and that I would wait a little longer to see how she does. If you do everything you can to bulk up the supply and spend all your time and effort nursing and pushing the BM to her and if she has lost weight at the next appt...then I might would consider either starting solids or supplementing an oz or 2 or formula. Just pump, pump, pump...to keep up the supply though if you do!!!! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: ....I will be keeping my fingers crossed that she gains like crazy and her pedi will stick her foot in her mouth!!!!!! :goodvibes:

kht2006 10-16-2006 09:02 PM

JMHO your on the right track to increase supply and pump. teething can cause weight loss. Also check on your diet make sure you're getting lots of good foods. Also, make sure she is getting lots of hind milk it has more fat and calories than foremilk. Congrats on making the nine month milestone. We're not there yet, but we're keeping it up.

EmnJJsMom 10-16-2006 09:11 PM

She has 1 meal of solids in the evening. Homemade oatmeal or a veggie or both...usually like 2-3 oz of each of them or 4-6 oz of just one of them. I tried to up her solids a few weeks back and she got very constipated and actually started nursing MORE after that. She munches on food all day tho, either a bit of banana here or some cereal or bread...finger foods. Just a tiny bit at a time, usually when my toddler is snacking because DD will try to steal her food.

A month and a half ago I cut back on my excersizing and increased my calories to try to help bring more milk in. I have put on 4 lbs in the process.

DD went from 80th percentile at 7 months to 20th percentile at 9 months. She is almost the same weight she was at 4 months old now! She is in the 95th% for height so obviously she is LOOKING skinny, but I don't see the ominous side of it like my ped does! My sis was 18 lbs at 3 years old and perfectly healthy...DD was 19 lbs at 6 months old, OBVIOUSLY a big chunk for her age...isn't it normal for them to thin out???

I just don't want to give up on her :cry:

OH and also, the ped said with cloth dipes you can't gauge the amount of pee because of the way they are :headscratch: That one is new to me! She says dd's constipation a lot is a sign of low supply because even if she is going often, her bm's shouldnt be "hard" yet and she should never "strain"...which she does.

*sigh* the final issue with it is that there is NO WAY I am going to get her to take a bottle!! I can't get her to take a bottle of pumped breastmilk muchless nasty bitter formula!!! Seriously! Sippy cup either!

I think I'm going to spend this week trying to boost my supply and see what happens then. I'm also going to talk to my LC because I haven't met a ped yet that really truly "encourages" breastfeeding...

KnottyLDSMama 10-16-2006 09:18 PM

Good luck mama. When DS was born, he pooped like, once a week, and everybody kept telling me that that was normal for breastfed babies. It seemed like he had plenty of wet diapers...but he ended up FTT and I had to start supplementing. What should've been the biggest clue to me was that he cried ALL the time. But I just figured I had a very high needs baby, kwim? I hope you can get your milk up. It made me sick to my stomach to give him that first bottle, but you have to do what's best for your baby, and if you truly ARE having supply problems, then supplementing is going to be what's best in the end. *hugs*

EmnJJsMom 10-16-2006 09:26 PM

She is a very high needs baby, she has been from day 1! She will not play outside when it's sunny because she doesnt like the sun, she hated last winter because it was cold, she threw a screaming fit walking from the house to the car no matter how bundled she was, she wont play outside now because she doesn't like when the leaves crunch, she throws a screaming fit.

So I kind of assumed that the new crabbiness was a combination of teething and Em's personality. The ped admitted that it "could be" but she should have formula to be on the safe side.

kingdink 10-16-2006 10:39 PM

If you're having supply issues, I would try to work on that first to see if it helps. I wouldn't jump into supplementing right away because that will only make a supply issue worse. And what does she know about CDing to know that you can't tell how much they go. That makes no sense. I can tell more now how much my DS goes than when he was in sposies. Have you had issues with this pedi before? If it comes to it, you have to do what is best for your daughter and if that means formula, so be it. But give it a week and really take care of yourself and do whatever you can think of to boost that suppy. Good luck!