Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone have an anemic child? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52541)

ocfb16 10-17-2006 10:01 AM

Anyone have an anemic child?

My 13 month old daughter was diagnosed with anemia yesterday. Are there any moms that have been through this? I am suppose to give her iron pills twice a day. I am basically wanting to know if your child got better with the pills or has this been a constant battle that keeps resurfacing? I read up on it and if your child has a low MVC level that typically means iron deficiency. Well my daughters MVC level was high but all the others low, so I am wondering if it is really iron or something else.

Indianamom*2 10-17-2006 06:50 PM

Re: Anyone have an anemic child?

DS has been anemic from day one. As an infant we had to feed him formula with added Iron, as he got older and off the formula (13 months) we had to make sure that he had some red meat or iron fortified veggies and sometimes add the liquid drops to his water or juice.
When he was 1-1/2 we had to start giving him Flintstones chewables with added Iron.
He gets his hemoglobin checked at every appt and while it is still around 9-10 its not as bad as what it was (about 5-6). A good hemoglobin check will be at a 12, but a 10 or 11 is good too, BUT every doctor considers it differently.

kezoo 10-17-2006 06:58 PM

My daughter had low iron (but was not officially anemic), and the ped wanted us to give her the iron drops. I said no, I wanted to get her iron up w/ food, etc. So, I made her liver stew (she loved, I gagged at the smell), bought a cast iron skillet and started cooking as much of her food in it as I could, and gave her a herbal tincture (yellowdock) that is indicated for low iron. At 1 year, her hemoglobin was 7.8 and at 13 months it was up to 9.8! :) Check out kellymom.com for more info about iron supplementation.

9800Emily 10-17-2006 07:48 PM

My dd isn't anemic, but my mom, me and two of my sisters were. We all had to take liquid iron supplements at one time or another and they were nasty :yuck: . To help with it I have been taking a prenatal vit since I was 15 and so does one of my sisters. For us it has been something that tends to resurface. Diet changes can help, but not for everyone and I do not eat red meat normally and am allergic to spinach (no really, like swell up go to the ER allergic) so that ruled out two of the best sources of iron for me. If I was you I'd try diet things first, but if it doesn't work give the supplements. When I'm anemic I can tell with in a few days, it sucks. I get weak and am tired all the time.

ocfb16 10-17-2006 08:01 PM

Thank you for that website. I am actually anemic myself and hated taking the iron pills. I still haven't quite figured out what to eat to get mine up. I constantly stay tired and dizzy (almost feel like I'm preg) all the time. But with her I just dont want to shove pills down her throat twice a day. So I was hoping that you all had delt with this an alternative way. And it seems you have, thanks for the advice!

Indianamom*2 10-17-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocfb16 (Post 376761)
Thank you for that website. I am actually anemic myself and hated taking the iron pills. I still haven't quite figured out what to eat to get mine up. I constantly stay tired and dizzy (almost feel like I'm preg) all the time. But with her I just dont want to shove pills down her throat twice a day. So I was hoping that you all had delt with this an alternative way. And it seems you have, thanks for the advice!

Diet is a very good way unless you have a very picky child or it is really bad (like my DS).

For myself, I treat mine with diet. When I get low, I drink V8 Splash which is a really good source, also red meat, veggies, like greens, brocilli, potatoes.
Now that I am preggo I take 2 of the Flintstones chewables a day and it helps.

ocfb16 10-17-2006 08:13 PM

I dont know if I could get V8 down...lol! I hate veggies...but trying to make myself eat them more.

Do you know if my 13 month old can have V-8 juice?

Gloria 10-17-2006 08:21 PM

my boys are both anemic and so am I! There levels last year were both around 8 and now they are around 10. We have been working really hard to watch what they eat. The girl that did the Iron test told me it wasnt something they inhereited from me, but that it was something they would have trouble with cause I feed them when I eat and I tend to eat things that arent as high in Iron, i guess?

Im watching this thread though!

I give my boys 2 gummy bear vitamins a day and I think it has helped. I would be careful with those though cause my 2 year old climbed to the highest cabinet above the stove where we keep them and got them down AND managed to get the so called "childproof" cap off and ate about 15 before I realized he was being to quiet!

Indianamom*2 10-18-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocfb16 (Post 376805)
I dont know if I could get V8 down...lol! I hate veggies...but trying to make myself eat them more.

Do you know if my 13 month old can have V-8 juice?

The V8 Splash is fruit juice. Its in the Juice aisle with the Juicy Juice and stuff. Its called V-8 Splash and its really good.

geckoed 10-18-2006 05:39 PM

My guy is anemic. And sometimes his hemo. is fine (12) but his rbc's are small and pale and other numbers are off. He did take iron drops for a while, but 1/2 of what the ped wanted. Then slowly 1/3, then 1/4 then none meanwhile I added iron rich foods and watched the other vitamins, especially B's. His numbers are pretty good now (almost 21 months) but its something we're aware of.