Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   9 month old biter! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5261)

HumblePie98 05-11-2006 03:29 PM

9 month old biter!

My baby is a biter! I have no idea what to do? He's leaving little red welts on people. His brother was hugging him and he sunk in and got his cheek.

:cry:

marvelous 05-11-2006 09:49 PM

Re: 9 month old biter!

I had a friend who went through this with a 4 year old (at the time.) She said it was one of the hardest things she had to do, but one day she bit her back. She said her DD had this look on her face like, "Mommy, how could you?" but she stopped biting altogether. I guess she finally realized what she was doing to others.

I don't know that I would do the same thing, but that was one experience.

MamaStace 05-11-2006 10:25 PM

I don't think biting back teaches anything except that people DO bite!!! Babies don't have the cognitive development to think, "Wow, if mommy bites me and that hurts, it probably hurts when I bite other people!"

My suggestion is to firmly tell the baby "No" and set him down away from whoever he bit for a minute. He'll get the picture that if he wants to interact with others, he better not bite or he'll be taken away every time!

allycat 05-11-2006 10:42 PM

We are going through this with our 2 year old. He has bitten, pulled our hair, and scratched all of us and has been especially aggessive at church and our homeschool coop with 3 other little boys and a girl that are all his age. He has really beat them up to the point of bleeding. He does not give any warning signs usually and just attacks. Very frustrating and sad.:cry: :blush: We have stopped taking him to church and just avoiding the whole situation all together. When it comes to that type of violence, we decided that it wasn't worth trying to take him to church and having other children be hurt and observe his bad behavior to mimic. We have let everyone be aware of it and have very supportive friends, thank goodness!!

My friend told me to bite him back too, and that she did this with her son, but now her son is acting out again some too. I think it is hypocritical to say no bite and then bite them. I think Dr. Sears' article is very good about aggresive behaviors. Someone else on here told me about it. It is very helpful. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/6/T063900.asp#T062400 I have tried #6 in this link about taking your sons arm and pressing it calmly and firmly against his OWN teeth as soon as he bites, to show him how it hurts others. This seems to have helped some. My son gave me a horrified look when I did this the first time and did not enjoy himself at all. Just remember to do it calmly and matter-a-factly and if you can't do it without anger, then don't do it. My son will laugh when I give him a time out or if I tell him not to bite. I've noticed the best thing to do is isolation immediately after the incident from other children and also to avoid situations. Hope all ends soon for us both!!:goodvibes:

HumblePie98 05-12-2006 07:01 AM

Thank you everyone! I'm going to give this a shot......

Shay 05-12-2006 07:28 AM

We did the bite back thing too but my DSD was about 3 yrs old. A baby won't understand. I had a friend who wnet through a young biter and she use a little lemon juice and put it on the babies tongue when were he bit.

happy2bhome 05-13-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumblePie98
My baby is a biter! I have no idea what to do? He's leaving little red welts on people. His brother was hugging him and he sunk in and got his cheek.

:cry:

:confused:

My 9-month-old is starting to bite a bit too.... but I take as a (late) cue that's he's hungry :giggle:

HumblePie98 05-13-2006 03:57 PM

He's not hungry when he does it. When he's hungry he tells me My BABA.

happy2bhome 05-13-2006 04:21 PM

Hmmmm.... :headscratch:

Baba can mean so many things.... (in our house, it means Daddy)

Do you know what he's referring to?

I agree on trying to move & re-direct him. But it doesn't always work well with my 9-month-old - sometimes he's very determined to keep trying what he wants to do

:hugs: :goodvibes:

TaivensMama 05-13-2006 07:37 PM

at nine months a baby doesn't knwo cause and effect at four years they do but I don't know about biting a child back to teach them explaining to them that biting hurts people would have the same effect as doing it to them...Taiven was never a biter he did bite once while nursing I said NO sternly and took him off the breast he was ten months old and that was the only time he bit, their are a ton of kids who having a biting issue though...maybe offer a pacifier or frozen teether to bite on... or a wet rag..or a biter biscuit maybe the sensation of biting feels good...I like the sesation myself and often bite my fingers...I am sure he is not doing it out of rage or anger at that age...