Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Every.two.hours (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526643)

*Katherine* 08-22-2008 06:15 PM

Every.two.hours

That's how often my 11 month old nurses. I am SO tired. We had been used to getting at least 5 hours at night out of her and now it's every two hours. I have a 2.5 year old to take care of also, so I need to get some sleep. Sometimes I sleep through them, sometimes I don't. I just don't know why she is nursing so often now. She doesn't eat much in the way of solids, I just put her in the high chair at mealtimes with some finger foods since she won't eat anything from a spoon, so sometimes she eats, sometimes she doesn't. I just don't know what to do and I feel like I am slowly going crazy. The daytime doesn't bother me much, but nighttime is crazy!

sunnie_skys 08-22-2008 06:18 PM

Re: Every.two.hours

she is old enough to sleep through the night without eating. Not saying you should not feed her just saying she is old enough.

ForeverYoung 08-22-2008 06:24 PM

My oldest did that too...but, with us at least, it was a matter of a habit. I would give him the booby as a pacifier! LOL That said, because of this, we didn't get more than 3 hrs a sleep (after 10 weeks on) until he was a lil over 2 years old.

I think, sometimes, it just becomes habitual. (NOT saying it's the case with you all, but something to think about!)

Good luck!! :D

MsBurrows 08-22-2008 06:24 PM

My oldest daughter seemed to nurse constantly at night, and only got more and more into it. At 21 months I night weaned her, and she started sleeping completely through the night in 3 days. I would offer her a sippy cup of water, but she didn't want that. She just liked nursing, lol. So I'd hold her, comfort her, do whatever I could. But not lift my shirt.

I wouldn't do that under a year though. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of suggestions. Outside of maybe waiting until she's older and then trying to nightwean. Even partially. Like say between 11pm and 5am or so there will be no nursing.

Good luck to you! I just put up with it until my baby was older. But it's hard when your tot is a big nurser. Hope your baby will cut down on her own soon and you can get some rest.

She may be having a growth spurt or wanting comfort for teething.

mama2riaan 08-22-2008 07:33 PM

Good luck mama, we are in the same boat but more like every 3.5 hours. If this is new she may just being going through a growth spurt and just needs that little extra.Or like us it could just be a habit.

I Smile Because Of Them 08-22-2008 07:36 PM

Could it just be that she needs comfort at night. I know my DS would just nurse for comfort at night. She might not be hungry, she probably just doesn't know how to put herself back to sleep after waking up. Good luck mama, I know it's hard. My DS was a terrible sleeper at first. Once he started eating table foods he did sleep longer but it could just be coincidence.

ForCryingOutLoud 08-22-2008 07:40 PM

My DD has been doing this lately as well. She was doing so good only waking once a night and now last night she was up 3 times. I am so tired! I can see molars coming in...so I am hoping it is just a teething thing and for comfort. Sometimes if daddy just holds her and sings a little she settles down and goes back to sleep.
I am with ya! I have my 3 year old and 2 other kids that come here during the week. I need sleep! :hugs:

*Katherine* 08-22-2008 07:40 PM

If she wasn't actually eating (can definitely hear her gulping and swallowing), I would totally be doing something about it hardcore, but if she's eating, I don't want her to starve...sigh....I just need more then 2 hours of sleep!

RockinClothBunz 08-22-2008 08:18 PM

My dd goes through phases like that. She is 21 months old. It usually happens during teething or on the verge of her getting sick. DS is 3 so I know where you are coming from. Seriously, I just try to sleep through them. Co-sleeping has saved my life. If I didn't co-sleep, I'd be WAY too tired to take care of both kids.

reesesmom 08-22-2008 11:10 PM

BIG hug!!!!

I understand that when they are really eating, it is hard to not try to "work on it". I would assume something is up - like GS, teething, etc.

Is she walking? Or new to it?? Maybe she needs the extra calories b/c of that. My DD is crawling and pulling up and waking one time in the night to feed.