Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you "keep the baby awake" durring the day? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52667)

Ooey 10-17-2006 03:07 PM

How do you "keep the baby awake" durring the day?

I've been hearing that this is a good way to change her sleep schedual, which right now is 5am-3pm. Yep that's right my baby is awake all night and sleeps all day, and so do I :lostit:. I've tried keeping her awake durring the day but she gets really PO'd lol. How does this whole keep the baby awake thing work?

Kimmomy2dom 10-17-2006 03:08 PM

Re: How do you "keep the baby awake" durring the day?

Just play with her as much as you can. Favorite games, songs, toys, etc. I hate to say it, but she may just be peeved until her schedule gets changed to where you want it.

cyncyn 10-17-2006 03:30 PM

Also, make sure she is getting plenty of daylight as that help set her bio clock. Humans naturally want to be awake during the day (light) and asleep at night (dark). But we have to learn that first. And yes, she will be cranky until it gets straightened out. I always feel like telling your baby helps too, I think they understand a lot more than we know!

Lots of conversation as you go about your routine seems to help, as well as changing activities frequently throughout the day. Play the radio during the day, keep moving, keep the lights on. Not too many long car rides or stroller rides or anything else relaxing.

When it starts getting dark, let her see/experience the dark outside, then transition the inside to quiet, peaceful, dim lights, low activity level, soft singing, etc.

Make the difference between awake-time and rest-time very different, like night and day lol!

Kimmomy2dom 10-17-2006 03:34 PM

Oh, you live where it's nice! Take her outside! That can keep older babies awake (puts mine to sleep). Ignore this advice if it puts her to sleep, though.

urchin_grey 10-17-2006 03:54 PM

I agree with everything everyone else said as well... And if it really comes down to it, just start waking her up earlier (or get her to sleep earlier) a little bit at a time, whichever way works better for you. Plus, you got to figure out if you want to work forwards or backwards. LOL Like 5am-3pm then 6am-4pm then 7am-5pm, etc. OR 5am-3pm then 4am-2pm then 3am-1pm, etc. :giggle:

But I'm sure all those other things will make the transition go a lot faster than it would seem. :goodvibes:

Ooey 10-17-2006 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom (Post 375994)
Oh, you live where it's nice! Take her outside! That can keep older babies awake (puts mine to sleep). Ignore this advice if it puts her to sleep, though.

EEk! I wish we lived where it's nice, we're on the coast and it's nothing but clowdy rainy days here I'm afraid :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by urchin_grey (Post 376046)
I agree with everything everyone else said as well... And if it really comes down to it, just start waking her up earlier (or get her to sleep earlier) a little bit at a time, whichever way works better for you. Plus, you got to figure out if you want to work forwards or backwards. LOL Like 5am-3pm then 6am-4pm then 7am-5pm, etc. OR 5am-3pm then 4am-2pm then 3am-1pm, etc. :giggle:

But I'm sure all those other things will make the transition go a lot faster than it would seem. :goodvibes:

I've never thought about working forward lol that's a great Idea since today it was 7am-6pm lol Thanks!

9800Emily 10-17-2006 09:01 PM

This is what worked and works for us. When it is bedtime, we lay in the bed, even if dd isn't going to sleep, I make her stay in bed and keep it dark and quite. No toys and no playing. At first she would protest, but after a while she got the picture. This wasn't any fun for me and DH either because dd decided that this was the perfect chance to yell just because she could. When dd had her days and nights confused, during the day I wouldn't make her comfortable when she napped :blush: . I'd put her on the floor on a blanket and make sure there were toys where she would see them when she woke up and also kept the room bright and noisy, all of these things encouraged her to get up and play instead of put her self back to sleep. She decided that it was better to be awake during the day and play then to be awake and lay in the dark. It took us about a week to get her back to sleeping at night.

Kimmomy2dom 10-17-2006 09:37 PM

LOL, I meant it wasn't snowing right now. You have a porch to amuse her on or anything? It's just the fresh air that can help.

JustAugust 10-17-2006 09:40 PM

Go hour by hour. Keep her awake one hour more than normal, so tonight she'd go to bed at 6am and sleep until 4am, then 7am-5pm, then 8am-6pm, etc. etc. etc. until she gets around to going to bed at 8, 9, 10pm, whatever you want and the gets up in the morning. You could try doing 2 hours at a time, but hour by hour will keep her on schedule (sleeping as much as she does) but move her into a better sleeping schedule in a week and a half.

ETA: I just read the other responces and realized someone already suggested this. :laugh: Ignore me.

tillers72 10-18-2006 06:27 AM

I would definately work on the forwarding time thing...she probably won't resist it as much...but when you are keeping her up during the day, make sure you monitor her nap time too...this way if she is sleeping for 'too long' then you can wake her up and play until bed time and make sure she is good and wore out!!