Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Camping and pumping (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53273)

kgsd 10-19-2006 08:06 AM

Camping and pumping

I'm going camping for 4 days without Katie. I figure that's long enough that I will need to pump while I'm gone. It's been about 20 years since I've been camping (and I definitely didn't pump then) so I need to figure out how to make this work. I don't know if I'll have running water and I definitely won't have electricity or a refrigerator.

Battery pack to power pump - check
Sanitizing wipes to clean pump parts - check

So now how do I keep the milk cold? My friend is bringing dry ice in a cooler to keep the food cold, but will that be good enough for the milk for four days?

kht2006 10-19-2006 09:40 AM

Re: Camping and pumping

I'd get a thermometer for the dry ice cooler so you'll know how cold it is.
You might have to pump and dump for the first 2 days since you won't be able to freeze the BM. Then pump and put the BM in the bottom or coldest part of the dry ice cooler. (you might check the LLL website for storage guidelines)
You might consider a car adapter as a back up for your pump, or make sure that you battery pack has a really long life. My battery pack lasts through 1 pumping with rechargable batteries. Medela makes a car adapter.
HTH
Karen

kgsd 10-19-2006 10:09 AM

Thank you VERY MUCH for the reply. I've never used the battery pack so I had no idea.

I am really not looking forward to camping, and this is just one more reason. Blech. But I said I'd go...

Shawna_L 10-19-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kht2006 (Post 380987)
You might consider a car adapter as a back up for your pump, or make sure that you battery pack has a really long life. My battery pack lasts through 1 pumping with rechargable batteries. Medela makes a car adapter.

I second the recommendation on the car adapter. My battery pack eats batteries like potato chips. My car adapter has been a life-saver...I am now completey shameless and will pull over and pump anywhere and everywhere. :mrgreen:

kgsd 10-19-2006 10:53 AM

Do you think I could use a hand pump? My Medela PISA came with a hand pump. I've never used it, and I wonder if it will do as good of a job at keeping up supply as the electric pump. (Keeping up supply is my main reason for wanting to pump. I am lucky to have a lot of frozen milk. Although if I'm going to pump, I'd rather not have to throw the milk away.)

As far as the storage goes, LLL says up to 8 days in a refrigerator between 32-39 degrees. Do you think that would be OK if I take a thermometer? What kind of thermometer should I use?

mmskids 10-19-2006 11:07 AM

I've used my battery pack a few times while camping and I didn't find that it ate batteries as much as my old one did. Though I also have the outlet adaptor.

Are you going to a campground? If so, you may want to ask how much for electricity. Would be worth it for the pump and get a cooler that can plug in.

I have gone without for 2 days. We have one of the 4 day coolers. I use ice. I found that it kept it cold enough.

Normally, we store our milk (regular) in there during our 2 week camping trips. Every day, we drain the water and add fresh ice.

Shawna_L 10-19-2006 11:10 AM

I have only tried my hand pump once and I was terrible at it! :blush: Maybe get it out and practice with it a bit?

I have a thermometer that I leave in my fridge, it's just a little round thing that I bought in the kitchen section at Target. Something like that might work.

kgsd 10-19-2006 11:11 AM

I don't think there will be electricity there, but I will definitely bring my power adaptor just in case I get lucky.

TWO WEEK camping trips? Holy mackerel. Four days seems like forever to me. :mrgreen:

kgsd 10-23-2006 01:01 PM

HELP!! I finally got a chance to buy the Medela wipes for cleaning pump parts.

I didn't realize that these are just like regular wipes and there are no special instructions for getting into the nooks and crannies of the pump parts. I'm wondering if these will do a good job of cleaning the parts.

For those of you who've pumped while camping, what did you do about cleaning pump parts?

THANK YOU!!!!