Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Demand Nursing/when/does it end? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53294)

eochoa 10-19-2006 09:07 AM

Demand Nursing/when/does it end?

Ok, so with ds I used demand nursing, like until he was weaned, everytime he wanted to nurse I made every effort to feed him asap. . .if we were out in public and he was over 1 already I would to to the car/a fitting room, etc.

Well, with dd, I was just wondering, I know at times she is nursing for comfort, not necessarily for food. Should I try and find another way to sooth her, or just let her nurse? I mean, is that still considered "nursing on demand?"

Had some issues with her Ped yesterday (told me to have her cio at night and let her go 10 hours without nursing) and I guess I just need some support! Thanks mommas!

crydparker 10-19-2006 09:11 AM

Re: Demand Nursing/when/does it end?

cio? why? Is she overweight? My dd nurses whenever and however long she wants to. She is a chunky monkey, but it's ok for now. Really said cio? That makes me want to cry with her.:cry:

Leininger27 10-19-2006 09:14 AM

Wow. You ped sounds like a real A$$! I don't know how old you dd is, but she looks young in your avi. I know kids that are over 1 yrs old and they still don't sleep through the night.

If her comfort nursing does not bother you than I say do what works for you and the baby. My ds comfort nurses and it was really starting to wear on me (or my nipples :giggle: ). I tried every pacifier that there is out and he would not take a single one! I have given up on the paci and let him comfort nurse if needed. He is 5 months now and he has found his thumb or arm so that helps! He has slept through the night since about 6 weeks, but every kid is different so I would just do what works best for your family!

eochoa 10-19-2006 09:14 AM

She's only in the 10th percentile for weight, and she's 11 pounds, 4 months old. I know I felt like crying when he said that too!

MamaMel 10-19-2006 09:18 AM

we nurse on demand here. As she gets old and gets a little more active it wont be as bad. my DD is 7 months and still wakes up every 1.5 hours to nurse

Kimmomy2dom 10-19-2006 09:20 AM

Do whatever feels best for YOU. And get a new Ped! Ugh, what a *beep*

eochoa 10-19-2006 09:29 AM

yeah, my ds still gets up in the night, he's weaned and he's 2.5, but since we still co-sleep, he likes to make sure we are still there at night! LOL

With dd, normally she goes 4-5 hours at night, so for me, that is sleeping through the night, but apparently her dr doesn't have the same opinion! LOL We are military, and moving in Dec, so she'll have her 6 month appointment there, and then I'll try and find a more attachment parenting minded dr for both kids at our next station.

BTW, I know she nurses more since she sleeps with me, but that's ok, because I normally "sleep" through her nursing sessions at night anyways.

All I can think of is I must have looked really tired yesterday! Both kids have had a cold and dh is deployed, so I've been running a little low on energy, but I wasn't complaining about it or anything.

Mommy2JJ 10-19-2006 09:44 AM

Ugh why are doctors so pro cio?? I had a doctor tell me to let my ds cio for 2 hours if needed :banghead: . I won't even let him cio for a minute so he can shove that up his you know what.

My ds has reflux/food intolerance issues and use to be a HUGE comfort nurser, he still is sometimes, but it is way better. I did try to find a paci for him, but he wanted the real deal.....so he got the real deal whenever he wanted it. I would say especially if your dd is in a low percentile I'd nurse as much as possible.

We cosleep and ds is not sleeping through the night and he is almost 16 months. I am with you I hardly wake up when he nurses at night, so a few times a night doesn't bother me one bit.

Wow my heart goes out to you home alone with two kiddos :hugs: . So thankful for you and your family giving up so much for our country. I am exhausted too ds has a cold, is teething, and just had a failed milk trial so he has been up every hour and dh might as well be out of the country since he sleeps through it all......

LimeInTheCoconut 10-19-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eochoa (Post 380865)
She's only in the 10th percentile for weight, and she's 11 pounds, 4 months old. I know I felt like crying when he said that too!

Oh, please. What does he care how often you nurse her at night? Is he the one getting up with her? Give me a break. This is not a medical issue, so he should just stay out of it, IMNSHO (=in my NOT SO HUMBLE opinion:cool:).

My DS is 9 months old and still wakes up once a night to eat, and it's not because he doesn't eat during the day. He eats lots, both solids and milkies, but he's still hungry when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

I'm okay with that...I remember waking up hungry in the middle of the night when I was pg, and I'm sure glad nobody made ME cry it out! :laugh:

When he was 4 months old, my DS was waking up at least two or three times during the night to eat. Breastmilk digests quickly, and 4-month-olds do not have very big tummies. Duh, Dr. Cry-it-out. :banghead:

And I should add that I know a lot of babies wake up even more than my son did/does. Just follow your good mommy instincts and feed that kid! :thumbsup: