Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How many dried beans for a crock-pot with ham? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53345)

keegans_mommy 10-19-2006 10:41 AM

How many dried beans for a crock-pot with ham?

Ok, I have 2 16 oz. bags of white beans to make ham and bean soup with and a large crock pot. We are feeding 6 family members and want to have left overs. I have a nice sized ham bone with good amount of ham on it but how much of the DRIED beans do I need? I am starting with them first, today.

TIA!

yellowcampcat 10-19-2006 10:50 AM

Re: How many dried beans for a crock-pot with ham?

I use one bag (16oz) of dried beans soaked overnight to make navy bean soup with ham for 3 people with leftovers, so I'd use both bags for 6 with leftovers. HTH:thumbsup:

keegans_mommy 10-19-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowcampcat (Post 381228)
I use one bag (16oz) of dried beans soaked overnight to make navy bean soup with ham for 3 people with leftovers, so I'd use both bags for 6 with leftovers. HTH:thumbsup:

Thanks Kristin! I am off to start now! :goodvibes:

bobandjess99 10-19-2006 12:54 PM

I use 1 bag mixed beans plus 1/2 bag navy beans to feed 6 people, with leftovers...but, 4 of those 6 people are kids.....and i soak at LEAST 2 days....you'll notic that they really start to bubble that second day, way more than the first day....

aept 10-20-2006 10:37 AM

What else do you add? Onion? Spices?
TIA!

stacim 10-20-2006 12:17 PM

I just made bean w/ bacon soup in a 6 quart using 2 lbs. great northern and a half pound of navy. We got two meals out of it for a family of 6 (only 5 eating a quantity worth counting).

Just a side note: I have found that I can cook great northern beans w/o soaking and they do just fine. We also like to make our bean dishes a day before we eat them. They taste much better the next day. :mrgreen:

keegans_mommy 10-20-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobandjess99 (Post 381686)
I use 1 bag mixed beans plus 1/2 bag navy beans to feed 6 people, with leftovers...but, 4 of those 6 people are kids.....and i soak at LEAST 2 days....you'll notic that they really start to bubble that second day, way more than the first day....

Ok, I am a BEAN moron LOL I started the beans yesterday, did a pre-cook for 10 min. let them sit for 1 hour rinsed and then put in the crock pot and let them cook over night. I turned off the heat and now have turned it back on for this evenings meal with the ham in it. The beans are TOO soft now! :banghead: I cannot get this right and it's driving me mad!

I need someone to hold my hand while I make beans :giggle:

katiejack 10-20-2006 03:15 PM

As one of my ex-roomates dubbed me the "Crockpot Queen", I have a lot of experience with crockpots and beans (just don't ask me to make cookies - that's a very hard task for me not to burn them)! Anyway, I never presoak my beans and just add them to the water and whatever else I put in there. It takes a 16 oz. bag of dried beans about 4-5 hrs. on high to be completely cooked (with no other things in there but spices, etc.). Just in case you wanted to know for future beanie recipes! :)

keegans_mommy 10-20-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiejack (Post 385233)
As one of my ex-roomates dubbed me the "Crockpot Queen", I have a lot of experience with crockpots and beans (just don't ask me to make cookies - that's a very hard task for me not to burn them)! Anyway, I never presoak my beans and just add them to the water and whatever else I put in there. It takes a 16 oz. bag of dried beans about 4-5 hrs. on high to be completely cooked (with no other things in there but spices, etc.). Just in case you wanted to know for future beanie recipes! :)

Thank you! :D

Luv2bemommy 10-20-2006 06:06 PM

What if you dont have any ham? What else can I put in with pinto beans in the crock pot? Or can they just cook alone?