Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WWYD-Is it a bad idea? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53353)

Zan 10-19-2006 11:55 AM

WWYD-Is it a bad idea?

My DD is 5 months and we weened at 4 months-baby led (it was hard for me to accept). I had a chronic low supply and both of us had medical issues that prevented us to increase to a full supply.

Current issue- I've been sick with a nasty cold and I believe she's getting it- woke up with crusty boogers on R-eye and eyelashes. Anyway, she wouldn't go down well for her morning nap. She slept for about 15/20 mins and then woke up. I couldn't settle her and decided to give her my breasts. She didn't latch properly and of course there is no milk and relact is not an option. She did settle quite a bit and I'm sure it's because of the comfort assosication.

Is it okay for me to allow her to do this? Would you allow DC to do this for comfort? I guess I'm concerned I don't want to damage my nipples and don't think re-teaching latch would even be worth the time or work b/c of no milk. Plus she's has begining to teethe- seems to be a long drawn out process for her- at least a few weeks of fussy and no indication of breaking through anytime soon.

I like the idea of giving her comfort by giving her the breasts. But is this a bad idea?

mistylaureena 10-19-2006 12:01 PM

Re: WWYD-Is it a bad idea?

I don't know??? WHen I first had my ds he was really really cranky and crying all the time but my milk supply NEVER CAME IN but he was always get really calm if I just let him to the boob....and when we are talking about our sanity and our sleep I was willing to drive to china if it meant he'd be okay and calm....So if it works for comfort I don't see the big issue with it??

urchin_grey 10-19-2006 12:03 PM

I've heard of lots of mamas doing this, I don't think its a bad idea at all! If it works for the both of you, why not? :mrgreen:

Leininger27 10-19-2006 12:08 PM

If it works I say go for it!!!

Zan 10-19-2006 12:10 PM

Yeah, I totally agree that doing it for comfort for her is okay, but I'm most concerned about the damage to my nipples, kwim? Even her being on the breast for less then 2 min total between the two breasts my nipples were sore and red. I don't want to go through re-teaching her to latch nor do I think she'd cooperate.

kht2006 10-19-2006 12:27 PM

Could you use a nipple shield? She could be comforted and you wouldn't hurt as much maybe.

hby 10-19-2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kht2006 (Post 381367)
Could you use a nipple shield? She could be comforted and you wouldn't hurt as much maybe.

Using the nipple shield will not help the problem which is a poor latch. I think it is wonderful that you both are trusting your instincts and doing what feels right minus the nipple pain of course. There are many mothers that still nurse without milk for one reason or another like adoption, low supply etc..... I think it is totally worth it. Some mothers use what is called an SNS it is a nursing supplementer that has a tube with a bottle like thing at one end the tube is taped to breast nipple and when the baby nurses she gets the comfort of being at breast and the milk comes through the tube. I think it would be completely worth teaching her how to latch correctly. Being at the breast is not just about nutrition it is about comfort, bonding, trusting, loving, all the things mothers do for their babies. Take care of your nipples help her learn to latch on properly and break the seal when finished. I hope you find what works best for you and your baby.
Hattie

3girlymom 10-19-2006 09:32 PM

Hey mama....

With the eye stuff...might want to take her to the ped. She can have pink eye, or just an eye infection. Make sure you clean the eye off with a cool cloth, and make sure you keep all hands washed well. Pink eye is very contagious. If she's been teething, having a runny nose, or cold...she can actually get an eye infection (that isn't pink eye) from all the stuff that builds up...these type of infections get in from the back of the eye.

As for the nursing thing...let her suckle. Eventually your nipples will get use to it, just like with a new mama nursing. I've never heard of nipple damage. I second the SNS suggestion. I donated breastmilk to an adoptive mom who couldn't lactate, and she nursed her baby using this with the donated breastmilk she received.

Go with your gut, and your baby's lead.

EmnJJsMom 10-19-2006 10:44 PM

I don't think there is anythign wrong with it...You probably have a little milk there anyways, I never "fully" dried up after I stopped nursing my first daughter. 4 months after I could still express milk if I tried.

If you don't want to go through the issue of re-teaching her to latch...this is all kind of pointless though isn't it? I guess you could always try a pacifier and snuggle her close...dd simply wont accept the boob as "comfort" here...she eats and when she's done she wants off and that is that. So when she needs extra sucking and comfort, I give her a nuk and press my cheek to hers because she LOVES that.

Zan 10-20-2006 10:43 AM

I didn't even think about a non-pink eye infection- I'll keep a watch on it and call peds if I see it again. She seemed fine yesterday evening, and now this morning.

Thanks mamas for the support and advice. I know all about the SNS because I used it for our first 2 months of nursing. I guess I didn't even think about trying that again since relactating isn't possible but I know that it would work if I wanted her to re-learn the latching. I think I still have the SNS around here so maybe if she needs that type of comfort again, I'll try that.