Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Humidifers in baby/children's room (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53391)

Zan 10-19-2006 01:07 PM

Humidifers in baby/children's room

It's starting to get really cold and dry here and I'm thinking now is the time to get a humidifer for DD room. Extra incentive now- she's starting to get a cold. Have you found them to be really helpful?

I've been looking for an inexpensive and quiet one and I can't seem to find that combo. It's either really expensive or really loud! Any suggestions?

Also, do you run the humidfier all the time or just during the evening or when DC is sleeping?

CarrieMF 10-19-2006 01:37 PM

Re: Humidifers in baby/children's room

We don't run ours often because it's a warm mist one so it breeds bacteria. It also makes the doors swell so we can't close them. It isn't loud though, we don't really hear it unless it is first turned on and warming up.

Since we have had the fish tank(30gallon) we haven't had humidity issues either.

Ontariomama 10-19-2006 02:23 PM

I'll have to check the brand of ours, but when it's turned on low (all we need in a 10x12 room) you can't hear it at ALL! :D

It's a cool mist so I usually just leave it on all the time, but leave baby's door open during the day so it gets out to the rest of the upstairs too. :) I just notice in the morning that everything has that "damp camping" feel to it, kwim?

Indianamom*2 10-19-2006 04:05 PM

We have a Vicks warm mist its pretty quiet, but runs out quickly.

The PED told us NOT to use a Cold mist because it doesnt kill the bacteria and just spreads it around.

CarrieMF 10-19-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

We have a Vicks warm mist its pretty quiet, but runs out quickly.
Ours is the vicks one. It lasts 24hours but I know there are smaller versions.

Indianamom*2 10-19-2006 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF (Post 382509)
Ours is the vicks one. It lasts 24hours but I know there are smaller versions.

I think ours last about 12 hrs, longer if we turn it off right after he gets up.

mama23boys 10-19-2006 06:47 PM

we use a cool mist one in our room bc thats what the doc said to use months again when he was sounding congested. i dont notice the room being damp or anything liek that.

its one i got at walmart for about $20 and while its not super quiet we dont notice it night anymore.

BellaRia 10-19-2006 10:14 PM

(Hi, I'm new here! :mrgreen: )

I have a regular humidifier in my son's room all year round. He sleeps better with the 'white noise' in the background. But I also have the Vics steam one for when hes ill.

tararaboomdeea 10-19-2006 10:21 PM

I really have not found them to be THAT helpful. My older two will benefit from the warm mist at night, but we have to still use the cool mist for the baby and it only seems to make his room cold. You should only leave it running at night, or intermitendly during the day, changing the water often and rinsing the filter to make sure you don't have mold.

MamaMegan 10-19-2006 10:26 PM

We have a few-- partly for the kids (DS has really sensitive lungs) and for our guitars LOL-- in the winter our place gets awful dry.

The bedroom has one that's shaped as a frog LOL, and a penguin in the livingroom. ;) They're both quiet and nice-- but have to be on a completely level surface. We have a cheapo loud one in the office with the guitars.