Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me with my non-sleeping, cranky daughter! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5348)

riandkymommy 05-11-2006 08:04 PM

Help me with my non-sleeping, cranky daughter!

My daughter, Kyla, has always had a mind of her own. She is and always has been a very needy baby, which isn't a big deal as I wore her anyways when she was younger! Now that she is older (only 8 months) she will not let me use the sling or the snugli with her, I have to carry her everywhere, which gets quite difficult when I am trying to do something like dishes or cooking! She has also gotten in a habit of waking herself up by rubbing her feet together VERY hard. There is nothing I can think of to make her stop. I rub her feet for her softly, thinking that maybe it was a habit or her feet were itchy or bothering her or something, but it helps only for a few minutes then she is screaming again, and she does it while nursing, while she is sleeping, whenever. Her naps last 45 mins tops. She doesn't sleep the night through, isn't even close. The minute I close my eyes to go to sleep, start the shower/bath, go to switch laundry, ANYTHING, she is up screaming bloody murder. She has always been a screamy baby, but now with DH being gone, I am finding it hard to enjoy a shower because she is screaming in the stroller outside of the shower! Yes, she is in the bathroom with me. I have tried bringing her in with me, but she hates that. My son was such a good baby, and still is a good kid, Kyla is taking everything out of me. I need a new suggestion. She sleeps with me for the majority of the night, I put her in her crib if I know I am going to have to go do something like laundry or a shower, but she knows when I lay her down.

Any suggestions at all?? I will try anything!! Thanks mamas!!

Ontariomama 05-11-2006 08:12 PM

Re: Help me with my non-sleeping, cranky daughter!

I wish I could tell ya it was going to get better, but Nathan is still like that! lol He scratches behind his ear though to wake himself up....

BUT, if you start smelling too bad, LMK and I'll come over so you can get in the shower.

Is M back next week or after the long weekend? I'm so glad Adam didn't have to go.... Nate's been such a booger with these teeth coming in (yay! 2 more! He's catching up to everyone! lol), even WITH Adam home, I haven't showered since Tuesday - by the time I get Nathan to sleep, I've passed out and Adam wakes me up around 10 to go to bed...

We doing coffee tomorrow???

riandkymommy 05-11-2006 08:25 PM

Mike gets back next Saturday, hopefully during the day.

Yes, we will be at Timmies at 1! It should be fun, how many kids are you bringing? I will have both of mine!

Ontariomama 05-11-2006 08:27 PM

Will have Nathan and A. Evan gets home from school at 3:30. Where do you sit? In the main restaurant or where the old smoking section was? I don't want to be the moron wandering around Timmies, y'know?

riandkymommy 05-11-2006 08:31 PM

Old smoking part and we shut the doors, even though one of the girls there always opens them again. Ugh. I hope she isn't working tomorrow! There will be LOTS of kids there so it will probably be better to have the doors shut!! LOL!

Ilovemycritters 05-12-2006 01:16 AM

I wish I can help but my daughter is in the same boat as yours, and when I put her down she's a flying mommy seeking missile. She refuses to go to my husband and is all about me ALL DAY, and I used to wear her but now she just hates slings. I don't sleep at night anymore and don't get any sleep during the day because I also have a 3 yr old, and actually right now it's 315 a.m and my daughter is wide awake. JOY!

Her habit to wake up is swinging her arms around when she sleeps till she's awake, and she thinks is play time because she wakes up giggling and trying to crawl off my bed.

Hang in there! Hopefully is just a stage, my daughter is 10 months old

meco 05-12-2006 02:55 AM

I just had to find the things of the moment. A thing that worked well was bouncing or rolling back in forth or in circles (gently) on a yoga or exercise ball.

I also found at that age DS wanted to be high up on my back where he could see in a wrap or some sort or a mei tai. Do you have a long piece of sturdy fabric? You can use it to do a high back wrap and see if she might prefer a different position.

I hope you find something that works for you.

riandkymommy 05-12-2006 07:39 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I have never tried a mei tai. I might have to invest in one! I am willing to try anything! I have dishes from a few days ago just waiting to be washed!

Everytime I try and complain to my mom she laughs and says I was the same way! Apparently like mother like daughter!

wbkt8 05-12-2006 07:43 AM

that's a tough age for sleeping i think. my dd still does the scratching herself (ears & nose) to wake herself up. and that was a particular rough period for sleeping as i remember too - lots of teething and getting mobile. it was also murder trying to get her to take naps some days and she would just be beyond the point of exhaustion and that just made it worse.

taking lots of walks was good for us. and i would have to take her driving some days just to get her to take a nap for an hour or what not.

and it always seems that everything is worst when dh is out of town doesn't it....

:hugs:

Ontariomama 05-12-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riandkymommy
Thanks for the ideas! I have never tried a mei tai. I might have to invest in one! I am willing to try anything! I have dishes from a few days ago just waiting to be washed!

Everytime I try and complain to my mom she laughs and says I was the same way! Apparently like mother like daughter!

Do you want to borrow mine for the weekend? LMK! I'll bring it to coffee & give you a mini-lesson! As if those mamas didn't think you were weird enough, along comes your AP, baby-wearing, co-sleeping enabling granola neighbour!! lol