Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Do people treat you differently because you use cloth diapers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535935)

SewGreenBaby 09-02-2008 07:23 AM

Do people treat you differently because you use cloth diapers?

I started CDing when my son was 5 months (1 month ago :) and I feel like the majority of my "Mommy & Me" group think that I'm weird and socialize with me less because of it. :crying: They make me feel left out and sometimes I wanna quit going, but there aren't any CDing groups in my area. Just wondering if anyone's had any unpleasant/funny experiences with peoples reactions to cloth diapers.
BTW: I did convert 1 momma to cloth diapers! And she feels like the group thinks she's weird, too.

georgialee 09-02-2008 07:43 AM

Re: Do people treat you differently because you use cloth diapers?

Yes, I do think many people are snobby and judgmental to mamas who CD their kids. I think they think we're hippies or something. :giggle: I hope that as CD'ing continues to get more mainstream that people will be more accepting of it. :hugs:

Hippy 09-02-2008 07:46 AM

Maybe I'm lucky but most of my friends CD and if anything I get more comments on how cute our diapers are when I am out in public.

cicely_m 09-02-2008 08:07 AM

i also feel like people at playgroup and gymboree don't talk to me as much... but there are other differences other than cloth diapering-- BFing in public, not wearing full makeup all the time....

keonli 09-02-2008 08:09 AM

I've noticed that my relatives will say "Oh that's cool" but never ask me more about it. I've already gotten the reputation of being an overprotective, strict mother and I'm already shunned by them because I have more than a high school education, but you know what? I don't care! I know I'm way cooler than them. *giggles*

MadeInChina 09-02-2008 08:09 AM

I don't get weird snobby looks usually. I usually get comments about how cute they are or how they've never seen anything like them. I've had one mama who was flat out rude about it...but I've attributed that to her lack of knowledge of the CDing world. I think she'd be a CD mama if she'd figured it out on her own before I had. weird. :)

Jenny Lynne 09-02-2008 08:44 AM

First, Georgia, that set in your avi is absolutely TDF.

Yeah, sometimes I get funny looks, but a lot of my friends tend to be crunchier and also CD as well, so we all go well together.

I get totally funny looks when I tell people that I make and sell my own laundry detergent, though. You'd seriously think I was growing horns. They think that's just the stupidest thing they've ever heard of. [sigh]

sunnie_skys 09-02-2008 08:51 AM

my MIL is wierd about cloth. We just went for 3 days to Cedar Point, OH (sandusky) and she was watching the baby and she said you have disposables for her right? Uhhhh...yes Brenda i have disposables for you. Jeez...Other people think its kinda cool.

alicia+2boys 09-02-2008 08:56 AM

Seriously? I'm a newbie. I can't believe people would treat you differently. That's so crazy. People are so ignorant.

MatildasMum 09-02-2008 09:01 AM

I've never had a problem.