Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How often does you EBF baby poop? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538016)

CarolinaMama 09-04-2008 07:54 AM

How often does you EBF baby poop?

My dd is 7 weeks old and has totally changed her "rhythm". At week 5 she didn't poop for 7 days and when she did it was a MAJOR blow out - thank god we were home because a bath was required. She then waited another 4 days to go again and now we are another stretch of 5 days. She has super stinky farts (which I know is going to embarrass me in public very soon) and does seem to have some gas issues. I should add that she does have plenty of pee dipes so that plumbing is working just fine. I talked to my local LLL advisor and she says this is normal and not give her gas drops. She actually said "people have gas all the time, we just don't sit around and stare at them all day like we do babies:)"

I do not have supply issues, although if I get lazy and do not latch her on well I get clogs easy. Do I need to start eliminating things from my diet? Or is this as normal as my BF guru says?

mom2LBJ 09-04-2008 08:33 AM

Re: How often does you EBF baby poop?

When EBF, DS pooped once every 7-10 days. He had plenty of pee dipes and stinky little baby farts all day long. His ped said that as long as hes happy and when he does poop it isn't hard, solid or formed, then hes perfectly fine. She said its called complete absorption(?). Where hes getting just the right amount from nursing and there isn't any waste. Just one of the many rewards of nursing, less poop! And as long as the gas is coming out one end or the other, why worry? Farts are a normal part of a healthy working digestive system lol Welcome to motherhood, you're going to be embarrassed in public many, many times. Id just enjoy it while it lasts, because once we started solids at six months he poops allllll the time now :yuck:

cheeky 09-04-2008 01:05 PM

sounds like everything is pretty normal. as long as baby's happy and still peeing and when she does poop it's not hard i don't think she's doing anything out of the ordinary. my son does that every once in a while too, not poop for a while then overload! and gas is normal, i know i burp and fart all the time! haha. but my muscles are developed enough to get them out easily. everytime i change my son's diaper i pull his legs all the way so they're stretched out, then gently push his knees toward his tummy, then slowly back and forth like that a few times. this almost always gets extra gas out (don't do it if they've just eaten though, it might come up the other end lol).

Grrchurch03 09-04-2008 01:10 PM

dd was ebf and pretty much pooped every diaper, or at least a little bit pretty much every diaper for the first 2 months, after that it has been 2-3 times a day.

fuzzycakes 09-04-2008 07:01 PM

I've heard it's normal for bf babies to go up to 10 days w/o poop.

DS1 pooped w/ every feeding it seemed like!
DS2 poops once or twice a week- which is nice, because I like to just lay a pf in a cover instead of snappi'ing right now, so not as many messy covers!

ttmomma 09-04-2008 07:09 PM

Friday and Sunday!!

He's been on that p**p schedule since...I think for like that past 6 months now. It's great for EC'ing!!

*Katherine* 09-04-2008 07:15 PM

Sounds totally normal. E went 2 weeks before pooping before. Man, that one was bad! She will usually go every few days and a couple of times the day she goes

knoxmama81 09-04-2008 07:27 PM

Perfectly normal for that to happen. My DD used to poop every feeding or two for the first few weeks then she suddenly went to pooping every 5-6 or more days.

CarolinaMama 09-04-2008 07:57 PM

I am so glad to hear that. I have family members that think she must be miserable because she hasn't. As always, I am SO glad you mama's are out there to ask all my many questions to:)

mom2ari 09-04-2008 10:18 PM

my DD has been going a couple days w/out pooing also, then she will either poo one big one, or will poo about 5 times a day for one day then we start over :) Also, as for the embarassing farts... we were just at a friend's wedding this past weekend. We took DD with us because it was out of state and I didn't want to leave her over night with a sitter yet (even fam - she just turned 4 mo) Anyway, before the cerimony started there was piano music playing. DD decided that when the music stopped it would be the perfect time to pass some gas, VERY LOUDLY! At least half the church turned around to look and A was smiling away. A couple people asked, "Was that her?" We just chuckled and said yes. The guy in front of us said, "Aww that was a good one, I was gonna claim that one!" lol