Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone have arrhythmia (skipped heart beat) during pregnancy? UPDATE (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538157)

cyndyinohio 09-04-2008 10:09 AM

Anyone have arrhythmia (skipped heart beat) during pregnancy? UPDATE

My heart is "skipping a beat" quite frequently ever since week 5 of my pregnancy. Sometimes it lasts for hours (usually in the evenings), and sometimes it just happens once. Has this happened with anyone else? It's not painful, but annoying. I feel like I need to catch my breath. I don't have insurance yet, so I can't afford to go to the doctor unless it's something serious.

UPDATE: I read somewhere that a deficiency of magnesium/calcium and/or Omega-3 oils may cause this condition, so I bought some products from www.beeyoutiful.com. Ever since I started taking their Supermom, Bone-Ami, and Omega-3 products, my arrhythmia diminished. Yay!

TwosCompany 09-04-2008 11:08 AM

Re: Anyone have arrhythmia (skipped heart beat) during pregnancy?

I had this problem and was on meds for it before I became pg with DD. The problem "went away" during my pregnancy and has yet to return. It was happening a minimum of 60 times a day. The doctor did an EKG and determined it wasn't really a problem, just an annoyance for me. I took 50mg Toprol daily and that took care of the problem straight away. Toprol isn't safe during pg, but there are others that are. HTH!

MommaTooters 09-04-2008 11:30 AM

I have MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse) and it basically does the same thing. That and it races for no reason at all. It could be from the extra blood flow created by pregnancy. I know that when I am pregnant mine acts up more often...VERY annoying but nothing too bad that I can't handle. I would keep an eye on it and try to get into see a dr asap just in case it's something more serious.

4boys1girlforme 09-04-2008 11:39 AM

I had something similar:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=248779

I went to a cardiologist- had an EKG, had a U/S on my heart (normal) and wore a holter monitor for 24 hours. They didn't find much but wanted me to wear a 30 day monitor after giving birth- I'm happy to say I've had no problems in the last almost 6 months since having DS4.
For the record this was my 5th pg and I never had any problems with any previous pg.

staceyroo77 09-04-2008 11:41 AM

I get palpitations every now and then, since becoming pregnant, but mine only last a few seconds at a time.

Proverbs169 09-04-2008 12:02 PM

I actually do with this pregnancy- never before this though. I had an EKG (came back normal) and then a 24 hour halter monitor hooked up about a month or so ago and it caught just 2 PVCs (premature ventricular complex). I can have up to ten or so a day. For me, though, there's nothing that they will do because it's pretty minor & harmless. As the PP said, they only last a couple seconds.

Some triggers can be pregnancy (surprise, LOL), stress, and caffeine. Most of the time they are no big deal but I would still get them checked out asap. :hugs:

mbsr76 09-04-2008 12:06 PM

My heart does the same thing since being pregnant this time. It also did it when I was pregnant with my son. I have heard of it happening to other women, too. I am going to ask my MW about it at my next appt, but I don't think it's anything serious.

Roseplummer 09-04-2008 12:07 PM

I had it, well I always have it but it was worse during pregnancy. My ob told me to hold my breath and bear down (think bear down like trying to push a baby out) for a few seconds. He said it makes the heart sorta restart.

starbuckmom 09-04-2008 12:09 PM

I have whats called SVT. Supraventricular tachycardia. Basically, my heart beat can get up to 180 beats per minute. My first episode was back in May and I was in the ER because of it not knowing what it was. I had 3 more episodes after that in June and I thought it was from caffeine. Since I cut out caffeine, I haven't had anything. Fast forward to last Wed a week ago, I woke up with my heart racing. Come to find out it my back was out. Here is the link to the story:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=531186
I also was having palpitations but they pretty much stopped since my chiropractor adjusted my back. I have gone back to see her 2 times since then. This morning being one of those times. My pinched nerve keeps coming back and she wants to make sure that it doesn't happen again. I will see her again on Monday. I see my heart dr on Tuesday and will be filling him in on all this. I know that after the babies are born, I will have to have a surgery where they go in thru and artery in my leg up to my heart and clip something in my heart. My problem is electrical. I have something that is misfiring. Not fun!

You might want to see your chiropractor and see if your back is out.

thefragile7393 09-04-2008 12:38 PM

Yes. Even had it at times before pregnancy. Sent to a cardio, great waste of $20 bucks. Had the first time as well. I was told to lay on my left side and no caffeine, little sugar. Worked so far for me, but that's just my experience.