Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Grow Me a Rainbow? Have them? More Questions... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5397)

beenwaitingalongtime 05-12-2006 02:14 AM

Grow Me a Rainbow? Have them? More Questions...

I'm new to CD...starting w/ FB, but came across these 'prefitteds' and am thinking I can handle these. I'm confused, though. Can you help?
Have any of you tried Grow Me a Rainbow prefitteds? WDYT? If you didn't pay extra for snaps or Aplix, how would they stay on? Snappi? How the heck does THAT work?
And what's the deal w/ Hyena carts, when she has a store? Are the prices cheaper? Can you get them faster 'cause they're already made? (Or is it just the challenge of trying to beat other ladies out for them?)
I see she offers embroidery. For the prefitteds??? Don't they go under a cover? I'm very confused (yet VERY interested, at the same time :blush: ) If I were to use these prefitteds, what liner needs to go into them? DD is an avg. pee'r...I guess. She's been in Pampers thus far and never leaked--but those things seem to hold anything (and I religiously change her every 3 hrs.)
TIA.

Cottonspuds Boutique 05-12-2006 03:05 AM

Re: Grow Me a Rainbow? Have them?

They are a prefold.. i think they come with a liner, they pin on if fasteners are not used.

Some mamas, like myself only used a cover once the urine has soaked through summer time mainly. Basically, I let my daughter go around without a cover if I feel like it. When she feels wet i change her or put a cover on her.

Some people are closing up shop and moving on to hyena because it is cheaper and easier to handle than a conventional online store. Most likely you can find lovely items there and most are 1 of a kind and so there will be items that are big $$. make sure you ask about the WAHM your buying from jsut in case (make sure they have good reputation)

i hope this helps...

If you have any questions you can yahoo /im me at cottonspuds - I am a 16yr veteran to cloth diapering.

navars2 05-12-2006 09:05 AM

I have a few GMAR pre-fitteds and a few Tinkle Traps pre-fitteds. I slightly prefer my TT's but they both work well. If you do not have aplix or snaps on the prefitted, you either pin or snappi on. I've not yet pinned them on...I've always snappi'd them. You will either need a cover or, as mentioned before, go coverless and just change as they get wet. I generally use Bummi Super Whisper Wraps or Wool over mine. Even though (up till now, at least), I've always covered them, it still brings a smile to my face to see the cute pre-fitteds on my son's bum. :) Anyway, I hope that helps! :D

myajdw 05-12-2006 09:18 AM

these look adorable and i have heard wonderful things. however...i wanted her to convert my prefolds (she says on her page she'll do this) so i e-mailed her to get all the info i would need and never rec'd a response. so i e-mailed again and no response, then again and again no response. but i have heard good things about these diapers. to me it doesn't look too hard to do yourself though, i know i'll be trying!

alisonsage 05-12-2006 09:20 AM

:yeahthat:

The GMAR are nice, but I slightly prefer the TT as well. :D

negrapy 05-12-2006 09:28 AM

I've been trying to get some GMAR made. She does have her own website and I emailed her...she did reply and she doesn't live that far from me. Yes they do need a cover if you are going to put clothes over them but if not...don't worry too much about a cover either. Do plan on making more diaper changes probably than disposibles. There are some other people that make similar items, fitted prefolds that is, tinkle traps, fanciful fanny, and phisy phants (or something like that) I am actually still waiting to try them so I really don't know what is best. However you may just want to try a trifolded prefold in a wrap or snap cover first and see what you think. It is really the cheapest option if you don't want to have to snappi or pin. Its really easy, even my husband does it all the time. That was our first method. Now I am hoping to get some fitted for the summer to go coverless or with a light knited soaker.
I don't think you actually need any liners or doublers. You could buy or make cheap fleece ones if you don't want her to feel the wetness, and a doubler would extended the period of time she could go without a change. There are some wahms that make very enexpensive ($1/each) ones if they don't come with the diaper. I wouldn't spend a lot extra before you know if you need them, or want them! I have overbought trying to find the "perfect system" as we have started cloth. My best advice, if you don't want to spend a lot, is to start slow, buy a few different options, try them out see what you like, then make an investment :) I'm not sure why quite so much money goes into a diaper either but of course, if you have the money and love the fluff...go for it...there are an amazing amount of options to cover a baby bum
I would and do pay more for a night system...I don't want a wet grouchy WAKING UP baby, and well you only need two or three diapers for night

jodi5 05-12-2006 10:20 AM

As the pp said, you might want to tri trifolding in a cover. I love it. When it is time to change, you open the cover, slide out the dirty diaper, slide in a new one and do up the cover again. My dh will even use this system. I trifold my prefolds and stack them in the diaper stacker when they come out of the wash so they are ready to go at change time.

I am getting a few prefitteds from GMAR to try too as I thought they would be nice if ds gets sick or if we want to wear his wool shorts that day. There are a lot of choices out there and if you like fitteds and covers than, a prefitted is a good option. If you don't want to have to fasten 2 items, then trifolding has more of the feel of an ai2. A lot of it is figuring out what you like. I love trifolding because it is the quickest and easiest for me, but everyone is different.

Best of luck.

negrapy 05-12-2006 01:10 PM

try fanciful fanny... maryann is quick to get back to you and cheaper than tinkle traps. very cute prefold fitteds!:happyclap:

Getz 05-12-2006 07:25 PM

I bought some GMARs used for the newborn stage. I like them. I usually didn't fasten them, just closed the cover around them.

I have Tinkle Traps now. I love them. I had emailed the GMAR WAHM about converting some of my prefolds but never received a reply.

myajdw 05-12-2006 09:34 PM

hmmmm seems like she doesn't get back to very many people. wonder why? i also did want to add that i had asked a diaper service (that was going out of business and selling off their dipes) about doing this and they SAID (whether this is true or not i dunno) that it's best to just leave a prefold as it is b/c by converting it you're taking material off and leaving it LESS absorbant than when it started. so i don't know. i'll probably send about 6 of my pf's to fanciful fanny and see how we like them, she got back to me very quickly as well. i want to try to convert one of my own first though and see if i can do it, then maybe i can save the money lol!