Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Cooking Beans (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54095)

Sarah 10-21-2006 11:41 AM

Cooking Beans

I'm now on our third bag of 15 bean soup mix. Every time i try to cook these they send up being mushy and completely breaking apart.
How do I cook beans so they are cooked,but not broken apart and gross

Indianamom*2 10-21-2006 12:19 PM

Re: Cooking Beans

What are you cooking them in ?? I put all my dry beans like that in the slow cooker on low and cook for several hours during the day. I have had one pot get mushy on me and that was because DH turned it on High and didnt tell me.

I dump the bag in a pan and seperate the bad ones out, put in a pot on the stove for about 2 mins let it boil just long enough to make the skin wrinkle, rince in cool water, then dump in my slow cooker, add the spices and ham, will with water just until the beans are covered, turn on low and let cook usually about 6-8 hours. On high it takes less time, but can make them mushy faster.
I check mine and taste test every 30 mins to make sure they arent getting too mushy or still too hard and also to see if anything needs to be added.

THroughout I do have to add a little more water here and there, but it doesnt change the taste or texture.

You can cook them in a pot on the stove the same way as a slow cooker, but I recommend a thick bottom stock pot on a lower setting, it will take a little longer than on high of course, but they wont boil with can make them mushy.

Good luck.

Sarah 10-21-2006 12:44 PM

I did try them in the crockpot and they got really mushy. I just cooked them again on the stove top hoovering over them and this time they came out much better.

Indianamom*2 10-21-2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WearingTaci (Post 387140)
I did try them in the crockpot and they got really mushy. I just cooked them again on the stove top hoovering over them and this time they came out much better.

Good, glad that you get em figured out. :thumbsup: The crockpot sometimes isnt for everything, but it sure makes dinner making easier ! :mrgreen:

Julesmom23girls 10-21-2006 08:27 PM

You have to make sure they aren't boiling, just very lightly simmering. If they boil that will make them fall apart, it is just too rough on them I guess. Anyway a slow simmer is what you want, in the crock pot I would say cook on the lowest setting you have. My crock will simmer on warm, it is such a hot crockpot. HTH

sarahannecloud9 10-26-2006 02:40 PM

I soak mine over night in the frige, Don't know why I do it but the beans allways turn out great, lol. Mom did it so I do it I guess! We love beans here.