Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Where's the best place to buy Mason jars? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54330)

BambooMama 10-22-2006 08:55 AM

Where's the best place to buy Mason jars?

I have been using old pasta sauce jars to freeze all of our slow cooker meals, and one of those jars really isn't enough for two people. Also DH finally did the spooning of the food into the jars and was whining about how big of a PITA it is... well welcomed to my world buddy. Anyway I'd like to buy some of the wide neck mason jars and I've seen them in the grocery store, but is that the cheapest place to get them???

meredith_mob 10-22-2006 11:18 AM

Re: Where's the best place to buy Mason jars?

I have all kinds in my attic, lol...but it would cost more for me to ship them to ya than it would to buy them. So I suggest your local Dollar store or Family Dollar. If not there, then the wally world has them too.

eapoosmama 10-22-2006 08:12 PM

I have purchased many at the local Family Dollar -- like $6 a case new with rings and lids.

benjason 10-22-2006 09:01 PM

I've bought them at my Wal-mart. Don't remember how much but they seem to have them year round.

sarahannecloud9 10-26-2006 03:37 PM

I find many at yard sales too. I did get most of mine at the dollar store though, lol!

cyncyn 10-26-2006 03:49 PM

Some thrift stores have them. If you have a "Deseret" thrift store (LDS) they usually have a lot of them. Target carries them and most grocery stores too. Jars and rings can be re-used, but the lids with the rubber seal should be purchased new.

sunnydesert 10-27-2006 12:29 PM

just FYI....to help the ease of getting the food in the jars, get a funnel. I got mine at Walmart....it was will all the canning supplies. It made life sooo much easier for me when I make freezer jam!

Question - what kind of recipes do you freeze from the crockpot?

BambooMama 10-27-2006 01:12 PM

We mostly freeze things like bean soups, corn chowder, chicken stock, split pea soup etc - I'd have to see if there are big fat funnels to let some of the chunks of beans/ham/sausage through, but that's a great idea. Other things we make are red beans for red beans and rice, or this really awesome Caribbean black bean soup... they get spicier the longer it's in the freezer... yum. ;)

My husband is Fillipino so everything must be eaten on rice in his mind, so we generally freeze these really protein or veggie filled soups that are REALLY thick, then defrost them when we don't have time to cook, throw some rice in the rice cooker, and just eat the soup stuff on top of the rice. :) Now that we've been doing it for so long, I'm starting to feel the love for stuff on rice. :) He's even gotten me to start eating omletes (SP?) on rice. ha!

Also, I make my own red sauce for pasta, and just toss it all in the slow cooker. My family is Italian and we've always just made our own, and I realized recently that the stuff you buy at the store makes my stomach hurt, almost regardless of the brand... Don't know why that is. We used to buy a lot of alfredo sauce or applesauce in jars, and that's what we've been using for jars thus far.

Speaking of applesauce, it gets made pretty often too since all you have to do is peel them and throw them in.

I swear, while I was preggo, the last few months I had the slow cooker going everyday... now we have a whole chest freezer filled with old jars filled with all kinds of goodies. It's great in a pinch.