Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do you feed on demand or hold to a schedule? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543564)

CarolinaMama 09-10-2008 05:47 AM

Do you feed on demand or hold to a schedule?

My DD (8 lbs +, 2 months old tomorrow!) is the energizer bunny! She doesn't ever nap longer than 45 mins, it is usually a cat nap for 15-20 mins then she is bright eyed and ready to play, or cry:) For the last few days I have fed her every 2 hours during the day, she can almost make 4 hours before her first feed at night, then she goes back to every 2. The only time she naps longer then an hour is if I am wearing or holding her.
My question is the usual breast feeding fear... Is she getting enough to eat at one feeding or just snacking? Shouldn't a baby this little sleep for longer periods of time?
Any suggestions?

ClothDiaperMePlease 09-10-2008 05:53 AM

Re: Do you feed on demand or hold to a schedule?

Totally the norm! Some kids go 2 hours, some go 6. I feed on demand, and not a schedule.

My first 2 didn't sleep through the night until after 18 months, this one sleeps through with only one feeding (and has since 2 weeks).

As for naps, mine have always done short naps and then they got longer as they got older.

MommyToNoah 09-10-2008 05:57 AM

I always nurse on demand. Now, it is more of a schedule, but still on demand. DS isn't much of a napper either, he used to sleep longer if I held his for his naps, but I had to stop holding him for all his naps.

ForCryingOutLoud 09-10-2008 06:02 AM

On demand here! She is older now, but she slept exactly like that when she was an infant. She would take short naps (but a lot) during the day. As she got older she took longer naps and eventually she started only taking 2 a day and now only one.

Kristen82 09-10-2008 06:18 AM

I always fed on demand. My youngest was over 12lbs by the time he was 2 months :giggle: and fed probably every 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. He also didnt start napping well without me holding/wearing him until he was at least 3 or 4 months old. At 2 months they still like the comfort of mama and the secure feeling while they are sleeping. Have you tried to swaddle her to get her to nap longer during the day?

ETA: I used to do household stuff with him strapped to my chest in the snugli so he would actually sleep long enough for me to get stuff done :giggle2:

amcawdery 09-10-2008 06:21 AM

Demand feeder here too!! All three of my kiddos were the same way!! I don't think it's your supply. At that age they want to be close to mama and nurse often. keep up the good work!!

duck411 09-10-2008 06:21 AM

Always on demand here. :goodvibes: Sometimes we go an hour and a half, sometimes we go 4 or 5 hours.

mizzou2798 09-10-2008 06:38 AM

I am a schedule mama, but hold it loosely, especially when ds was 2mo. He was a good night time sleeper, but his naps are just now getting consistent and longer and he is 10mo, he did the cat nap thing for at least 6 months.

babyGmommy 09-10-2008 06:42 AM

when the girls were younger it was on demand but after about 3 months i went to like 2 hours or 3ish hours.

my first dd was happy for about 3 hours with out eatting.
my sec dd wouldn't make it till 3 hours only at night maybe...

clb 09-10-2008 06:48 AM

we also feed on demand now, BUT when ds was about 6 or 7 weeks, I did force him to stretch out his feedings. I had hyper lactation and forceful letdown, so ds would snack, get mad (because he was practically drowning in milk, poor guy), stop, then would be hungry again in about an hour or two. He was terribly fussy due to the gas pain from the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I was block feeding and doing everything I could, but he just wasn't eating enough at once. So, for 2 days (I did it on the weekend so I could have hubby's full support) I tried to stretch out his feedings as much as possible (I don't think we ever made it 3 hours, but did get close) by trying to distract him when he was hungry (and also just a lot of holding, hugging and shhhing). The first day was hell, but by the second day, ds figured out that if he didn't wan't to be hungry he had to eat more in one sitting. That monday I think every feeding was 2.5 hours apart...SUCCESS! Now ds eats sometimes 2 hours apart, sometimes 3, but always has a good full feeding and has a LOT less gas, so he is happier, I am happier. It's all good.

Also at that age, my guy only slept between 30 to 45 minutes, but would have 4 or 5 naps a day. Now we are at 3 naps. Two for 45 minutes, an one for and hour or so.

Good luck mama. You need to do what feels right to you. Unfortunately, 2 hours my be the norm for your lo. Observe how she reacts before and after feedings. Is she tired? Is she spitting up a lot? Also, sometimes my guy looks/acts hungry, but is actually tired (I know this because he falls asleep while eating, but wakes up when I move him). I also kept a diary of feedings and naps so I would have a better idea of his natural schedule so I could look for any patterns over a long period of time. It helped me know what to expect, even though we are on demand.

Last but not least, you may already be familiar with Kellymom, but that website has a ton of resources that will be helpful for you - so check it out if you haven't already.

:hugs: