Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do you like oatmeal? Tried this for DD this morning.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54670)

Severine 10-23-2006 08:10 AM

Do you like oatmeal? Tried this for DD this morning..

I got the recipe from Super Baby Foods and she seemed to really like it. We *try* not to use much processed foods, but finding the time to make "real" oatmeal in the morning is difficult with our schedule. So this is what I did...

1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
1 cup steel-cut oatmeal (not quick oats, uncooked) (or you can use 2 cups of any combo of whole grains)
2 apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup raisins
5 cups water
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Put the above in a crockpot right before bed. Cook on low overnight and it will be ready when you wake up (and your house will smell wonderful!). Add honey or whatever natural sweetener to taste (we used Agave Nectar) and/or milk, if desired.

I don't eat oatmeal so I can't personally tell you how it tasted. But DD LOVED it! So I thought I'd throw it out there for those looking for a quick hearty and healthy breakfast without the microwave and prepackaged junk. :goodvibes:

FitMommyOf2 10-23-2006 09:46 AM

Re: Do you like oatmeal? Tried this for DD this morning..

I might have to try that. We're oatmeal junkies here :giggle: and both of my kids love my concoction of 1/2 cup oatmeal heated in the microwave for 1-2 mins (w/milk) and then 1/2 c cottage cheese added to the mix. Sweeten to taste + some coco and cinnamon and they both gobble it up. It's the perfect balance of protein & carbs w/hardly any fat (I know, kids need it, I don't lol)

stephdpn 10-23-2006 10:47 AM

That sounds good Carrie, and I think I have all that stuff on hand! Thanks!

AshersMommy 10-23-2006 11:37 AM

Sounds delicious! I bought a huge thing of oatmeal when we last went to Sams Club... been having a bowl every morning, and it gets kinda plain after awhile. My SO suggested cubing and baking apples covered in cinnamon, then mixing that in.

keegans_mommy 10-23-2006 12:10 PM

Oh sounds yummy! My kids love oatmeal but I am trying to get away from the pre-packaged and flavored oatmeal and bought a huge box of old fashioned/cook em' on the stove oatmeal from Costco and need oatmeal recipe's!
These are great!

thumbelinadiapers 10-24-2006 08:59 PM

This recipe sounds yummy! I decided to make it, and got everything at the store today,(cept the raisons, i forgot :( ) I had never seen stone cut oats before! They are cool! So its in the crockpot heating up! I had the kids help, as incentive to eat it in the morning. I think we'll be eating this the rest of the week. Oh, and I added 1/2 cup dried blueberries, cause I didn't have raisons, i hope its okay with the apple and cinnamon!

Severine 10-25-2006 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumbelinadiapers (Post 396763)
Oh, and I added 1/2 cup dried blueberries, cause I didn't have raisons, i hope its okay with the apple and cinnamon!

The recipe did say that you can use any dried fruit, so it should be fine. :goodvibes: I just put raisins since that's what we used. How'd everyone like it?

momto2boysinOnt 10-25-2006 08:09 AM

Funny you should post this. I found a very similar recipe on the internet last week while searching for crockpot recipes using apples. I made it for breakfast this morning. The kids loved it. Mine just had oatmeal in it, no brown rice. I think I'll try yours tomorrow because it should have even more whole grain goodness.

Thanks for posting!

jillkuster 10-25-2006 08:35 AM

Wow....what an industrious Mama. I threw a thing of Quakers packages into the cart yesterday and felt like I had it covered.:giggle:
I'm going to try your recipie, as Oatmeal is one thing all my kids will eat and I've been trying to find something warm for Ezra in the mornings.
I'm excited to try this.

thumbelinadiapers 10-25-2006 08:44 AM

ok peoples, makesure the crock pot is on LOW!!!!! hehe, mine was on high. Still turned out ok. just ok though, the dried blueberries were not good. I think raisons are definitely the way to go.....great texture though! I think a little salt should be added with the water too. Pretty yummy!