Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Meal Ideas for a one year old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54756)

daniels_mami 10-23-2006 11:31 AM

Meal Ideas for a one year old

my son isnt eating the way he used to and we usually dont give him what we are eating bcuz its stuff i dont like him eating like pork or spicy food. plus we eat late when dh comes and by that time he should be going to bed. anyways i would love to see what others do for their one year old or two year olds.

TIA

Mugs 10-23-2006 11:42 AM

Re: Meal Ideas for a one year old

:popcorn:

ashleybrook 10-23-2006 11:44 AM

my daughter is going to turn one in two weeks and she eats a variety-

ravioli with parm. sprinkled on (I buy the kind in the fridge section at the market)
fish sticks
pancakes/waffles with fruit
veggies mixed in with mac and cheese
chicken and pasta
ground beef with veggies
cubed tofu and veggies
grilled cheese sandwiches
hotdogs (usually just at daycare)
mashed posato with broc. and cheese or another combo

also, when I make something I'll save a but pre-seasoning for her dinner the next night. I buy a lot of the gladware containers that are smaller (1/4 cup I think) and put it away for her. Perfect little portion.

I started getting deli meat cut at a "10" so it's thicker and then I can cut it up into easy strips/cubes when we get home

I've tried making little baby quesidillas and they went over okay but she had more fun flinging them because they'd fly across the room like frisbees. :giggle:

TwinKristi 10-23-2006 11:46 AM

Have you tried any of those little Gerber toddler meals?? They had them on sale for $1 at Albertsons the other day and they have soups and pasta meals. They also have the little toddler meals with an entree & veggie or fruit and my kids liked em. You could always heat up some left overs from the night before?? Or even just different soups and cut up the chunky stuff really good. They have some really neat individual stuff now targeted towards single adults (biscuits, frozen veggies, hot dogs...)

thirdtimemomma 10-23-2006 11:58 AM

Oatmeal.
Macaroni and Cheese (I make a big batch for the family and freeze LO for Ben)
Homemade mashed potatoes with cheddar and veggies mixed in..
Melted cheese on toast..

Really he eats whatever we eat anymore. I just keep a few things on hand for when he shouldnt have whats on the table...

claresmom 10-23-2006 12:10 PM

my dd LOVES these:

Spinach Nuggets

2 10 oz. boxes frozen chopped spinach (I am sure you could use fresh steamed spinach also)
3 T butter
1 c wheat bread crumbs
1 c grated parmesan
2 eggs, beaten

Cook spinach according to package directions, drain, and squeeze out excess water
Add butter to spinach and let melt
Add bread crumbs, cheese, and then eggs. Mix well
Form into small balls, and then flatten on cookie sheet
Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

Julie's Notes: This recipe made about 20 or so nuggets, and he can only eat 2 at a sitting, so I froze the rest. Then when I need to make something fast for him, I take two out of the freezer bag, and pop them in the microwave. Charlie likes applesauce with his.

Mugs 10-23-2006 12:44 PM

Love the spinach nuggets idea. I but you could do it with chopped broccoli too.

My kids love finger foods. Toast, toaster waffles, carrots, cut up meat, mac and cheese, Usually whatever we eat I give them some. I usually give them a piece of fruit too. They love it.

claresmom 10-23-2006 01:02 PM

yes...any kind of soft veggie (squash, broccoli, mushed green beans) will work just fine! add more bread crumbs to get the right texture!

Severine 10-23-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniels_mami (Post 391824)
my son isnt eating the way he used to and we usually dont give him what we are eating bcuz its stuff i dont like him eating like pork or spicy food. plus we eat late when dh comes and by that time he should be going to bed. anyways i would love to see what others do for their one year old or two year olds.

DD doesn't usually eat what we eat either for 2 reasons. One, I'm a picky eater and I'd prefer she get more variety in her diet. And two, I usually have to wait until later than she's in bed for DH and I to be ready for dinner anyway.

That said, she eats a lot, though I will admit not much meat.

*mini pasta or couscous mixed with either: pasta sauce, pureed squash, cheese and a little milk, chicken broth and veggies...
*homemade baked mac & cheese
*spinach & cheese ravioli
*Gardenburgers
*chicken breast reheated in (low sodium) teriyaki sauce with rice and broccoli
*chicken noodle soup
*sunflower seed nut butter w/all fruit jam sandwiches
*tahini w/all fruit jam sandwiches
*deli ham and cheese sandwiches
*deli turkey and cheese sandwiches
*grilled cheese
*occasionally pizza if it's not greasy
...we did do sandwich rollups (wraps instead of bread) but she tried to swallow the rollups whole so we backed off on that for now
...and more often than I like, we do give the Beechnut version of Graduates or Gerber Pasta Pickups. But I'm hoping to get away from that once I become a SAHM.

At lunch or dinner, I usually add some frozen mixed veggies to round out the meals...

Breakfast is usually either organic waffles, scrambled egg, or oatmeal (not prepackaged, the real thing) with a cup of Vanilla Oat Milk...

For snacks, DD has: applesauce, fresh fruit, freeze dried fruit (like Just Tomatoes products), fruit cups packed in juice (no syrup!), yogurt, raisins with close supervision, cut up cheese, organic whole grain crackers, organic graham crackers, organic cereal bars..

I'll admit she had more variety when we gave her organic jarred babyfood. Like I said, I'm picky so it's hard for me. But I am trying to add more variety to her diet. I have some lentils and other beans in the cabinet that I'm dying to find something easy to make with them for her.

daniels_mami 10-23-2006 01:14 PM

thanks girls. these are all some great food ideas. imma gonna try some of those!

kristi, i guess im picky but thats things arent for us. i feel that food shouldnt be a can. not to start a debate. anyways we have tried them and daniel hates tehm and i wouldnt blame him!

carrie, daniel doesnt eat alot of meat either. im not vegetarian but he has always had very lil meat. my in-laws are always getting in it saying that he needs to have meat 2 times a day and i tell him just at dinner is fine!