Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   FYI, breast pumps might be covered by insurance... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548984)

kmdchuckles 09-15-2008 10:49 PM

FYI, breast pumps might be covered by insurance...

So I didn't know this with my first and thankfully Regence BlueShield spoke up this time, but breast pumps are covered by many plans under the "durable medical equipment" benefit. I just paid $80 :thumbsup: for a brand new medela pump in style! Check it out with your insurance provider, you might be surprised. And if they are covered make sure they tell you is approved to sell them to you...they may not cover if it's from target or BRU.

mom2piddle 09-15-2008 10:57 PM

Re: FYI, breast pumps might be covered by insurance...

all you had to pay was $80 OOP! wow! did you just call the ins company and ask? I think I'm afraid that they will laugh me off the phone!

alisha_roseleip 09-15-2008 11:36 PM

What is the worst they can say? NO?? I have a Lactina, but would love a new pumping kit or two since I will have to EP for 4 weeks at work. My Dr said no problem and the insurance said as long as it was a RX they would honor it as DME.:thumbsup:

uoducks 09-16-2008 12:49 AM

yep, i've posted this here before. My insurance, Kaiser covered a hospital grade medela lactina (i think, blue color) for 2 mths at $8 per month. Oh, and they delivered it to me at the hospital.

Your doctor has to say it's medically necessary I think or it's covered under the durable medical equipment.

mother_04_07 09-16-2008 01:09 AM

wow mama thanks for the heads up

ashersmomoo 09-16-2008 01:15 AM

They cover mine! Although, I use Regence too snd my baby has a serious medical condition requiring me to pump instead of nursing. Thanks for sharing!

ETA: I use a symphony and they cover at 100% and it is soooo much better if you pump a lot.

Swimmingly 09-16-2008 09:39 AM

I have heard this too. I called my insurance to ask about it. I had to get my Primary Care Dr. (no, not my OB, and not the Ped) to write a prescription for it, but they covered 50% of the cost. I was happy. My PC Dr had no problem writing the prescription, I didn't even need to go in and see him.

amjbmommy 09-16-2008 09:45 AM

I get a free Medela electric single pump from my insurance as well as a convertible carseat (was the Cosco Scenera when I had my 18m old but now I hear it's an Evenflo Tribute)

amjbmommy 09-16-2008 09:45 AM

Oh and if you're on WIC definately check with them :thumbsup:

Mothering Grace 09-16-2008 10:14 AM

I got mine free from Regence, too! I got to choose between the Ameda Purely Yours or the Medela PIS :)