Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   You know those comments you get when you're out in public...? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553685)

jpicasso 09-20-2008 02:56 PM

You know those comments you get when you're out in public...?

I've heard some doozies, and I've learned to just smile and shrug it off, but I was caught totally off guard at the grocery store today.

DS is a big boy, almost 16lbs at 10 weeks. I constantly hear about how big he is, but some lady actually walked up to me, looked at him, looked back at me and said, "he must have hurt coming out, little girls like you shouldn't be having such big babies." :headscratch:

MollyJones 09-20-2008 02:58 PM

Re: You know those comments you get when you're out in public...?

Seriously? :banghead:

People are so weird.

Manna00 09-20-2008 03:04 PM

LoL.... yep. DS was/is a big boy as well. He was 10 lbs even at birth and while I hope most people saw a happy mommy and a beautiful baby boy I got a lot of comments as well:
- You poor thing! He's so big!
- You must be making straight cream (I nursed DS).
- Can you sit down okay?
- Won't be having another one any time soon eh? Once you go through THAT (like pointing at DS) you won't want to do THAT again!

Sigh. And now I look at my healthy 37 lb just barely 2 year old and smile. He's leaned down a lot since mobility... but he's just a big boned, tall little boy. And I wouldn't have him any other way :wub:

sunfish_mom 09-20-2008 03:31 PM

I had a nurse at the hospital say something just like that to me after my youngest was born. I went to the nursery to see him after they didn't bring him back in the one hour they said they would. When I went to him the nurse asked if he was mine. Showed her my bracelet and she said I kid you not "Wow I'm surprised you're up walking after that came out of your vagina" LOL
He was 10lbs 12oz at birth and weighs an even 40 lbs now and just turned 2 one month ago yesterday.
Sometimes I'm surprised I can even walk now LOL

sunfish_mom 09-20-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpicasso (Post 4840077)
I've heard some doozies, and I've learned to just smile and shrug it off, but I was caught totally off guard at the grocery store today.

DS is a big boy, almost 16lbs at 10 weeks. I constantly hear about how big he is, but some lady actually walked up to me, looked at him, looked back at me and said, "he must have hurt coming out, little girls like you shouldn't be having such big babies." :headscratch:

Ok I just reread your post. So what did she want you to do? Hold him in forever. Sometimes the stuff people say doesn't even make sense. They just want to hear themselves talk.

doberbrat 09-20-2008 03:37 PM

Honestly, I think those comments are tactless people trying to show sympathy.

Honestly, everytime I hear about a 10+ lb baby coming out, I think OUch for the poor mamma too.

Mother Lover 09-20-2008 03:41 PM

DS who didn't start walking until 14 mos...wasn't really light, although he hasn't gained weight since he started walking, but he was 21 lbs at this time.
I always always allllways was being asked "don't you get tired of holding him??"
Gee well, should I put him down and leave him here?
Some peoples kids.

OneFabMama 09-20-2008 03:44 PM

Honestly, I had a 6lb baby the first time and an 8lb 15 oz baby 7 weeks ago and it felt no different pushing them out. I was still pushing a kid out of my vagina. It hurts no matter how big or small. AND, my recovery with my second was a BREEZE compared to my small babe. Plus, I tore with her and not with my "big" baby (of course that probably has every thing to do with the position I birthed in this last time).

StayAtHomeMama 09-20-2008 03:58 PM

lol People always ask if my 4 month old is anywhere between 6-9 months because she's big. When people ask how big she was when she was born, I tell them 9lb 4 oz. They do the 'ow. Poor girl' thing, and I smile and say, my MIL's boys were 9lb6, 10lb12 and 11lb4. The last two were without meds. I consider myself lucky.

jpicasso 09-20-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFabMama (Post 4840386)
Honestly, I had a 6lb baby the first time and an 8lb 15 oz baby 7 weeks ago and it felt no different pushing them out. I was still pushing a kid out of my vagina. It hurts no matter how big or small. AND, my recovery with my second was a BREEZE compared to my small babe. Plus, I tore with her and not with my "big" baby (of course that probably has every thing to do with the position I birthed in this last time).

DS was 8lbs 5oz at birth, biggest of my 3, but ITA...felt the same as the other two. Actually the easiest birth by far :goodvibes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunfish_mom (Post 4840300)
Ok I just reread your post. So what did she want you to do? Hold him in forever. Sometimes the stuff people say doesn't even make sense. They just want to hear themselves talk.

:giggle2: