Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Need some help with my 3yr old PLer (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554390)

stephanie_t8291 09-21-2008 06:23 PM

Need some help with my 3yr old PLer

Back in May I started the process of PLing with my dd. At first we tried training pants and that just failed miserably for weeks. I tried rewards, stickers, everything I could think of it just wasn't working. Then one day while I was letting her run around in the buff she runs to her potty chair and pees all by herself. She did it! In my mind I was thinking YES we are over the hump...not so much. She will not have an accident all day if I leave her undressed on the bottom half. But as soon as I put anything on her bottom she has an accident(pee and/or poop) almost immediately. Again we are back to bribing, rewards, stickers, prizes, dances, songs whatever to get her to go to the potty while wearing clothes. But despite all of the effort she will not go to the potty if she has on panties or pants.

I am needing some new ideas on how to get through this part. She can't live her life in the nude. It is fall here in Chicago and a naked butt will be getting very cold soon. How do I bridge the gap of potty trained while in the buff to potty trained while dressed?

Thanks,
Stephanie

stephanie_t8291 09-22-2008 10:31 PM

Re: Need some help with my 3yr old PLer

:bumpsign:

4my5guys 09-22-2008 11:39 PM

I'm sorry Mama, I wish I had answers for you. Maybe the natural consequence of being cold will help.

erin_c_odonnell 09-22-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4my5guys (Post 4861886)
I'm sorry Mama, I wish I had answers for you. Maybe the natural consequence of being cold will help.

:yeahthat:

Maybe given a little more time she'll get to it on her own (kinda like peeing in the potty by herself)... maybe when she has to be clothed at home do just a dress but no panties? :headscratch: Then slowly add panties after a few days or weeks? Dunno...

stephanie_t8291 09-23-2008 08:22 AM

Thanks ladies. I appreciate the help

Namaste 09-23-2008 08:57 AM

My dd just turned 3 last week and I thought she would never pt. It was the same for us - going naked she would do well, but the minute I put trainers on her, it was like she reverted back to being a baby. She started preschool at the beginning of the month and I wanted her pt/l'd for that, although they did not require it for 3 year olds. So, about a week before school started, I told her she was going to wear big girl panties from now on. It took about two days to have NO accidents, but she did it. And, we've done the same thing for overnights for about a week with no accidents.

I don't know if it will work, but to me, the trainers were the same thing as diapers for her. So, we made the big deal about pulling out the new princess panties and now she's pt'd.

Good luck.

ETA: Oh yeah, we did only dresses while learning. That way she didn't have to deal with shorts trying to get yanked down, just panties.

skskeeters 09-24-2008 11:06 PM

We skip the panties and trainers altogether and just wear dresses w/nothing underneath. I also agree with the pp who said to skip training pants and go straight to panties. I think training pants feel too much like diapers to kids, and so they confuse the two.

dragondance 09-25-2008 07:13 PM

Dd1 is like this, and I took away the diapers yesterday morning and so far, so good naked, but I'm working on the underwear part. She loves wearing underwear, but she would pee in them like diapers before. This time, what I'm trying (we'll see how it works) is using plain underwear, and putting pants over top (as she is usually in a diaper and nothing), and then if she pees she has to strip it all off, a little reminder that she should pee in the potty, putting it in the laundry (NOT the diaper pail), and then new ones. I am thinking about trying the no-undies dress idea but our first outing is the doc's office and I don't want her to pee on the floor. Today we went outside in trainers (but Gerber trainers so not very thick at all) and a skirt and messed around with the garden and with sprinklers on, and she stayed dry and as soon as we went inside, she stripped to the waist and went back to the potty, lol. So for now, I am totally happy with that. I figure skirts with no undies will be the indoor solution when people are over until she's used to it, but that's my going-out solution for now.

dragondance 09-26-2008 12:07 PM

Does just pants, no undies, work? That works for dd (I just found out :lostit:) Otherwise, skirts without undies is as close to nekkid as you can get.

stephanie_t8291 09-29-2008 09:12 AM

The only thing that is working for now is the skirt/dress/or nightgown thing with no undies. I guess I can live with that for now at home. My problem is going to be going out in public. I can just see her flashing someone at the park and me getting banned from the place or something....She is not a shy one at all.

Today we are trying just panties and nothing else and seeing how it goes. So far so good.

The other thing I picked up on on accident...We got a piece of mail from Disney Land with princesses on it. I told her it was a special letter from Sleeping Beauty and she says that dd can come see her castle if she can go to the potty all of the time and NOT pee pee or poo in her princess panties anymore. Her face lit up and I seemed to have struck a cord with it. So Hub and I are putting together a special piece of Mail for DD with brand new princess panties, a sticker chart with princess stickers, and a Tiara, gloves, a special dress as rewards for her stickers along the way, along with a letter with special instructions from the princesses. It is going to re-touch on the You can come visit my castle(with pictures) if you don't pee or poo on your special princess panties. We will see how it goes. We are planning a trip to go see my dad(who lives in Orlando) in January so if she is going potty all of the time by then we will be making a special trip to see the mouse and the princesses at their castle.