Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long do you plan to BF? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556893)

*Alabamamom* 09-24-2008 11:12 AM

How long do you plan to BF?

I am just curious how long you plan (or have) bf your lo. I knew with Andrew I wanted to go at least the first year, and would have been happy to make it that far.. I've gone way beyond my own expectations and he still has a night nursing at 2 1/2 years! :giggle: I don't have long, but ideally I'd like for him to be weaned before his 3rd bday... I've needed him weaned already because I have a thyroid condition that needs treatment (surgical or radiation) but as long as my levels can be maintained with meds, I guess we are ok. Poll coming.. :thumbsup:

CadenJames062503 09-24-2008 11:15 AM

Re: How long do you plan to BF?

I honestly don't know! LOL I use to say a year. Before Joash the longest I had nursed was 11 months. Well since he was born I've been saying 2. But when I really think about I think I might just let him wean himself! LOL I just can't see just taking it away from him!

megan1979 09-24-2008 11:20 AM

I would be 'other'. I was unable to breastfeed...so to put 'not for me' wouldn't be accurate.

musiclady 09-24-2008 11:23 AM

I nursed Emily for 1 month, after that she had to have medicine mixed with every feeding. So I pumped for 3 more months and gave BM in the bottle mixed with her medicines, before finally switching to formula at 5 months. With my next (whenever that may be) I would love to go a year.

*Alabamamom* 09-24-2008 11:25 AM

Megan1979, had you been able to, how long would have liked to have bf?

azaries_mama 09-24-2008 11:30 AM

I plan to let my children self wean. My DD is nearly 3.5 and she nurses
1x/day. My son is only 7 mos so he nurses around the clock!

I found that once I became pregnant when my DD was two, she easily accepted some nursing limits. As breastfeeding is a relationship between you, it can only be successful if it is working for both of you. I started setting limits on where and how long she could nurse, and she understood and accepted those limits.

I feel that making breastfeeding work for both of us saved our nursing relationship and I am happy that she is still nursing today!

me_just_me 09-24-2008 11:34 AM

We have hit the one year mark! (my DD is 13 months now) I'm not sure how long we will continue; sometimes I get so tired of wearing nursing bras and shirts that allow nursing! But my DD still loves to nurse in the morning, before both her naps and before bed. It's only 4 times a day (or if she gets very upset and needs some nursing to make everything right again :) So it is very do-able. But to be able to have daddy put her to bed one night so I could have a break would be so nice too! But who knows, maybe I'll still be nursing her at 4 LOL! (I sure hope she will be weaned by then! I'm aiming to have her weaned around 2)

sonshinemama 09-24-2008 11:38 AM

I nursed DS1 til 2 yo. DS2 is 19 mos and still nurses a few times a day. He was going for a while without nursing at night at all but that's changed back to 1 time a night. His nursing though is mainly to sleep.

Karmas Creation 09-24-2008 11:40 AM

I nursed for 6 months with my first two - now im wishing i wasnt so selfish in wanting my body back and atleast went to 1 yr.
with this one i am aiming for a year... :D

mamashhon 09-24-2008 11:44 AM

I'm going 2-3 years unless something happens. I'd like to not go past 3 years though because I want to have another sometime after 3 years of age. I need a little break for my boobs!!