Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   my friend's nursing trouble (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55709)

AKM 10-25-2006 03:55 PM

my friend's nursing trouble

One of my best friends just had her baby boy
last week and she's having trouble nursing. I thought I'd bounce this
off all of you since you've helped me so much. Here's what she wrote:

"We've been working with the lactation consultant since day 2 and no
luck yet. We've tried so many things she's run out of ideas. He won't
suck hard enough to draw out enough milk even when he has a good
latch. Right now the closest we've come to him actually nursing is
with a nipple shield but he puts his tongue in front of the holes
instead of keeping it under the nipple. He dozes off every time and i
think he is just using me as a pacifier."

My DS didn't have much trouble latching after we finally got rid of
the pacifier and hold problems, so I told her about that, but I'm not
sure that will help her much. Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance,

dreamtiger 10-25-2006 04:56 PM

Re: my friend's nursing trouble

was her baby boy a preemie or full term?

i had/have a similar problem with my DD. she was 6 wks early and would fall asleep after a few attempts at sucking. Even though I wanted to BF so bad and not get "nipple confusion," she lost so much weight plus had jaundice so I gave in and bottle fed her. Before that, I tried the Supplemental nursing system but my current lactation consultant (this is the 3rd!) said she doesn't recommend those because babies learn to suck on the tubing.

I also tried feeding by eyedropper and cup but she rejected both of those but your friend might try that so he can get food but get his sucking met at the breast.

In the end, my solution was to pump around the clock 10x day, every 2 hours for the first 2 weeks, put her at my breast as long as possible with a nipple shield, then bottlefeed her my milk until she was satisfied. at first I had her on my nipple for only about 5 minutes per feeding ... slowly after a couple weeks, she got the hang of it and now after 2 months, she can feed off the nipple shield for as long as she likes (but I still have to pump afterwards and give her some milk in a bottle if she is crying for it).

something else to consider, if she chooses to bottlefeed, I was recommended the playtex silicon naturalatch size newborn (1 hole) as it most closely mimics the breast and the baby should have the nipple in her mouth as far as possible. Also you should keep the baby upright and the bottle parallel to the ground or the baby will get used to a fast and easy feeding and will resist the breast (this is what is happening to me right now and it's hard).

sorry so long but I emphatize...

HTH

TwinKristi 10-25-2006 05:07 PM

I would suggest pumping at first and getting the milk going and then try to latch him on again. She also may want to try different positions for feeding. I had a hard time getting my twins to latch on (6wks early) and stay awake long enough to actually nurse but I pumped for 6wks before I went back to school. With my next babies it was easier to get them to latch but it was trial and error. With #5 I had to really pinch my nipple (TMI :blush: ) to get it in his mouth enough for a good latch. It took some working on but I did it. Good luck to her! Even if she ends up pumping she needs to keep offering the breast first.

dreamtiger 10-25-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinKristi (Post 399186)
Even if she ends up pumping she needs to keep offering the breast first.

forgot to mention that - yes! offer breast first and then pump.

*big sigh* this is actually what I am still doing to this day, as I have been doing for the past nine weeks ... *another big sigh*

AKM 10-25-2006 05:27 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'm sending it on to her and I gave her this website address in case she has a chance to get on here too.

Her baby was fullterm, actually more than a week overdue. I think your suggestions will be helpful though.

I work parttime and have found the Playtex Naturalatch size 1 nipple is the only thing my DS will take too. There is such a thing as a Breastbottle. If I can find the website again I'll post it. A mother on another group suggested it.

Namaste 10-25-2006 05:35 PM

Another good thing is to express some milk and put it on her nipple so he has a stronger interest. It might cox him into things.

I just had a client (I'm a postpartum doula now!) who is still struggling at 5 weeks with her son. Sometimes, it is a struggle.