Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   !!HELP!! My 16 month old is an insomniac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561319)

Monetlily2 09-29-2008 10:05 AM

!!HELP!! My 16 month old is an insomniac

I'm at wits end! For going on 4 months now my 16 month old has had serious sleep issues. 3 to 4 nights a week she wakes up at 1:00am and CAN'T get back to sleep until 5:00am. She goes to bed at 8:00 and I've found up until last week that if I don't let her nap during the day we have more success getting her to sleep solidly. But, this last week that didn't matter at all. She's healthy and happy. She just can't sleep.

Things we have tried:

1. Keeping her in the dark in her room and rocking. Or putting her in bed and not talking, ignoring her until she gets out, put her back in bed. Sleep in bed with her. Leave room and shut the door, wait until she comes to door and put her back in bed. All of these have been tried for weeks at a time continuously to try to get a routine down and none have had success.
result: she still goes to sleep at 5:00 and she cries a lot and puts us over the edge.

2. Take her downstairs and let her run around and play while the TV is on.
result: happier parent but tired. She eventually falls asleep or points to her room where she jumps in bed and immediately falls asleep.

3. Riding in the car.
result: she loves this and never falls asleep.

4. In bed with parents.
result: Cries, rolls around, keeps all adults up. no sleep.

Am I wrong to thing there is something wrong here? She is not in my opinion getting enough sleep and the weird thing is she doesn't seem the least bit tired during the day. The only time she ever wants to nap is around 5:00 and that really screws bedtime up.

Anyone else experience this? Honestly, it seems like an adult form of insomnia.

I'm going crazy and need help!!!!

TJR2119 09-29-2008 11:29 AM

Re: !!HELP!! My 16 month old is an insomniac

Maybe try moving up her naptime to the morning?

DS has to nap before lunch or we will never get him to sleep on time.

amitchell98 09-29-2008 11:40 AM

I would recommend reading The No Cry Sleep Solution, or any sleep training book. It seems like you need to switch up your sleep routines so that you're not just waiting for her to finally decide to go to bed. And from everything I've read, a baby who is well rested during the day (aka with naps) will sleep better at night.

Good luck!

Monetlily2 09-29-2008 12:34 PM

She was taking early morning naps and then she went all haywire. The naps definitely made matters worse and now there is NO WAY that she would sleep early in the day. I've used The No Cry Sleep Solution for all of my kiddos and this is just off the charts weird for me. Nothing seems to fit with her symptoms.

elioraimmanuel 09-29-2008 12:39 PM

First, I would pray over my child continually.

I would speak Scripture over her, write it and put it over her bed. One is...

Psalms 4:8 NIV
I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Then, I'd take her to see my Natriopath. She may have something going on in her brain or body that is causing her to be wired. HTH!:hugs:

mum2James&Julia 09-29-2008 12:45 PM

Melatonin? I'm not for drugging kids, but melatonin is natural, and I know a few moms who have used this in extreme circumstances before.

How many hours a day would you say she sleeps? She doesn't nap at ALL anymore? That doesn't sound healthy to me :(

tobie9 09-29-2008 12:49 PM

I so feel your pain. My DD is 22 months, and we have been going through the same thing for months. She will wake between 1:00 and 2:00, and be up for 2-3 hours until she falls asleep again. Also rolling around in her bed, fussing, asking to be sung to, etc. And forget about putting her in our bed - it makes it that much worse. She jsut seems wide awake for those hours, until she finally falls alseep again.

So what can I say to be encouraging? Its been happening less frequently lately, and seems to becoming more sporadic as she gets older. Moving her to a bed has helped, becasue with the crib we needed to get her out and hold her, lest she scream her head off. With her in a bed we can lie down with her in her bed or lie on the floor next to her and that keeps her calm. Awake, but calm.

Other than that, I have no specific advice. We are on a strict sleep routine, and the wake ups happen regardless. I do try to let her sleep in or go to bed or nap earlier after a bad night with hopes of making up some of the lost sleep.

Sorry I have no great answers for you, but its empathy all the way!

Monetlily2 09-29-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobie9 (Post 4925732)
I so feel your pain. My DD is 22 months, and we have been going through the same thing for months. She will wake between 1:00 and 2:00, and be up for 2-3 hours until she falls asleep again. Also rolling around in her bed, fussing, asking to be sung to, etc. And forget about putting her in our bed - it makes it that much worse. She jsut seems wide awake for those hours, until she finally falls alseep again.

So what can I say to be encouraging? Its been happening less frequently lately, and seems to becoming more sporadic as she gets older. Moving her to a bed has helped, becasue with the crib we needed to get her out and hold her, lest she scream her head off. With her in a bed we can lie down with her in her bed or lie on the floor next to her and that keeps her calm. Awake, but calm.

Other than that, I have no specific advice. We are on a strict sleep routine, and the wake ups happen regardless. I do try to let her sleep in or go to bed or nap earlier after a bad night with hopes of making up some of the lost sleep.

Sorry I have no great answers for you, but its empathy all the way!

:cry:Oh mama, you too, I'm so sorry, this sucks! I'm going to take her in to our Ped tomorrow and see what she has to say. Something is so off. She's just a night owl.

Monetlily2 09-29-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elioraimmanuel (Post 4925527)
First, I would pray over my child continually.

I would speak Scripture over her, write it and put it over her bed. One is...

Psalms 4:8 NIV
I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Then, I'd take her to see my Natriopath. She may have something going on in her brain or body that is causing her to be wired. HTH!:hugs:

We are naturalists. Thanks for your support. Hopefully we can figure this one out soon. Poor little thing needs a good nights rest.

A friend of mine has a great Natriopath that I may have to look in to.

tobie9 09-29-2008 03:02 PM

Keep me posted...i'll be curious to hear what your ped. has to say....

Good luck!

T