Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   SAHMs:What do you DO with your LOs all day? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561430)

Honeymommy3 09-29-2008 10:42 AM

SAHMs:What do you DO with your LOs all day?

Please help me. I have a 2.5 and 1.5 at home during the day. I am a relatively new sahm. What do you do everyday to keep them entertained and occupied without using the same old toys and stuff. I am so thankful of this opportunity but feel I am wasting it and I feel on the verge of putting them in part time daycare so they that daily interaction and play. I am part of a MOMs club (recently) but there's not things every day.

Please help! thank you:goodvibes:

AcrossTheUniverse 09-29-2008 10:47 AM

Re: SAHMs:What do you DO with your LOs all day?

Listen to music, build houses out of legos with them, read lots of books, color, go for walks, sometimes take them to the park or to playgroups.

Really, kids can play on their own. My LOs play with each other while I clean or cook. I try to actually play with them at least half the time. But we definitely don't have a structured day or anything. We just play and do what comes naturally.

Terra 09-29-2008 01:01 PM

My DS is great about entertaining himself but I also play with him. He loves to be chased, so I chase him around the house and he just laughs so hard!!

He loves pushing his cars around so he'll follow me doing that!
We color, fingerpaint and watch movies together so he can snuggle!

jpicasso 09-29-2008 01:25 PM

My girls are 2.5 and 1.5 :)

We color and do stickers, play outside, build, read books, make tents in the living room, and go for walks. They have a play kitchen and LOVE it. If there is stuff I need to get done, I try to let them "help" as much as possible. They watch Sesame Street in the mornings so I can feed DS and then make breakfast.

NessaL_07 09-29-2008 03:25 PM

I agree with the other mamas. Just have fun doing whatever.

Guardandolaluna 09-29-2008 03:30 PM

most of what was posted and we have a weekly park playdate with local AP moms. we also have play equipment in the backyard. They love their time outside. Also, they love to watch me cook and "help" a little, lol. When my older DD is home from school and finished with homework she helps her brother (3yo) with writing letters and numbers:)

AngelW 09-30-2008 12:24 AM

I let him watch a couple shows like Sesame Street and Caillou (his favorite) or Thomas the Train. He plays fine on his own in his play-yard. I read to him a couple times a day in addition to naptime and bedtime stories. We have a playgroup on Wednesdays and storytime at the library for 2 yr olds is on Fridays. I think there is another free playgroup in town, though there are a few pay for playgroups, too. Once a week we go grocery shopping together and we take a walk around the circle we live on together, too.

Jenney17 09-30-2008 12:27 AM

We play in the play yard, go for walks, I put a blanket out in the backyard and bring out toys they haven't seen in a while.

ShamroxGirl 09-30-2008 12:32 AM

We go on an hour long walk in the morning after breakfast, it's more for the dog than anyone else. We play with his toys, sing, I take him to the park and the AYMCA has outings every once in a while. He watches DVDr'd Signing Time and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood now and then (ok so he spends 2.5 seconds watching and then wanders off and then comes back for another 4 seconds LOL).

I bake and clean and sew when he's asleep, eating or occupied. I have recipes for play dough and paint and all sorts of cool stuff for when he's bigger. I bought a large poster book with 8 huge double sided educational posters(abc's, animals, multiplication, adding/subtracting, telling time, etc) so when he's old enough to not want to eat them we'll put them up and we can spend a little bit every day just looking at them and talking about them.

We've got a dog so when in doubt I just let them "play". I enjoy every minute with my son, he's growing up too fast, he took 3 steps this evening!
I know there's nothing better I could do for him than stay at home, sure I could go back to work or school full time to give me "something worthwhile" or to "cure boredom" but I feel that would be sort of selfish.

He needs me more than we need money, I really treasure the time we spend together - even when he's having a bad day and we're both tired and cranky.

HadassahSukkot 09-30-2008 12:53 AM

My LO is turning 4 months tomorrow. We keep different toys in each room to keep things "new" when we change scenery. We'll move his fisher price rocking chair into different rooms we are in if he's tired of laying down and scooting or rolling.

I fly him, bounce him, sing and read.. and we watch tv together. Sometimes TV time is the only quiet time other than the chance moments he sleeps.