Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Crock pots w/o temperature settings - please help me out!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56381)

BambooMama 10-27-2006 12:21 PM

Crock pots w/o temperature settings - please help me out!!

I have a big crock pot, with a warm/low/high setting on it. But I also have a tiny one, you'd use for like appetizers and stuff. It is round, I don't remember what brand, but I'm guessing Salton b/c it was just one we saw at a Walmart equivalent store and bought. It doesn't have temperature control! I was going to make some oatmeal in it using the recipe a few posts down, but I don't know if it goes on high or low?

Does anyone know???? i don't want to burn crap onto it. :thumbsup:

Julesmom23girls 10-27-2006 01:05 PM

Re: Crock pots w/o temperature settings - please help me out!!

I would suggest that if you are cooking overnight or all day use the low or even the warm setting. If you are trying to cook it in a couple of hours or so use the high. I have a Rival brand and it has the same 3 setting and even the low can be too hot if I am cooking all day. I usually start things on high to get the crock hot, then after an hour or so turn it down to low and later in the day it may even end up on warm if things seem to be cooking too fast. I would say w/ oatmeal I would def cook on low or even the warm setting, based on my crockpot.

ETA: If you do burn something on to the crock sprinkle it with baking soda and let it sit for a while then wash. The baking soda will act as a scouring agent and help get stuff off. HTH

Delaney21 10-27-2006 01:45 PM

We use the little crock pots for cheesy dips when we have parties and those suckers get really hot! We have to make sure to unplug it every so often or it will burn. You may just want to keep an eye on it when its cooking.

BambooMama 10-27-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaney21 (Post 404564)
We use the little crock pots for cheesy dips when we have parties and those suckers get really hot! We have to make sure to unplug it every so often or it will burn. You may just want to keep an eye on it when its cooking.

So it sounds like it cooks at a temp similar to the high on the adjustable crock pot? I'd love to use it, but I never know if it's equivalent to a normal crock pot on low or high!

BambooMama 10-27-2006 05:20 PM

Hey, I finally found www.crockpot.com and they had the manual for the slow cooker I have. Turns out it is equivalent to the Low setting on a normal one. If you ever have any ?s about your slow cooker, go to that site.

Thanks mamas!

FitMommyOf2 10-27-2006 05:43 PM

Sorry to hijack for a sec, but thanks for the link as the site also has great recipes! :thumbsup: :giggle: