Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What else can a rice cooker do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56702)

veganmamma 10-28-2006 12:18 PM

What else can a rice cooker do?

Mine is second hand and has no directions. I'm guessing it is from the 80's. It works great though for rice and it has a steaming try so when the rice is almost cooked i can put broccoli on it and steam. But, that is all I use it for at the moment.

Severine 10-30-2006 09:41 AM

Re: What else can a rice cooker do?

Bumping this up for you because I've wondered about this as well. I know you can make any grains in it (oatmeal, bran, etc) and ours can steam veggies, but I don't know of any other uses.

stacim 10-30-2006 10:59 AM

Don't actually know how to do this myself, but I saw a cooking show not too long ago where they steamed some veggies and fish in one. I thought that was pretty cool. :mrgreen: Definitely worth looking into!

sheandaru 10-30-2006 11:30 AM

I steam all different veggies in mine (especially artichokes!). You can also use it to cook soups & stews.

ishwishdish 10-31-2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheandaru (Post 410978)
I steam all different veggies in mine (especially artichokes!). You can also use it to cook soups & stews.

Ohhh! I love artichokes. I just got a rice cooker and used it tonight (for rice, how boring) but was looking at the manual. It says you can steam veggies but I'm sooo not a cook.
So how exactly do you do it? Just like steaming them in a steam basket in a pot except in the rice cooker? My cooker doesn't have a timer, just a button you push...Hmmm, maybe I should just try it huh?:giggle:

sheandaru 10-31-2006 08:38 PM

I just put a couple inches of water in there, put the artichokes in & turn it on. It takes almost an hour, but I like it better than boiling them. :)

babydirtybike 11-01-2006 01:05 PM

Mine came with a recipe book to show how to do chicken and stuff too. Of course, I no longer have the book. Did you try googling?

FancifulFanny 11-03-2006 11:39 AM

or try the manufacturer's website

11-03-2006 09:28 PM

so does it automatically turn off when the artichokes / veggies are done, or do you have to watch it?

i routinely throw stuff in with the rice as it cooks, then you have a healthier rice dish. most common is frozen corn, that's easy. sometimes i add tofu, baby corn, bamboo shoots, dried mushrooms (sliced) too.

MamaJo 11-04-2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheandaru (Post 415218)
I just put a couple inches of water in there, put the artichokes in & turn it on. It takes almost an hour, but I like it better than boiling them. :)

:drool: I can just imagine how much better an artichoke would taste steamed....I've always boiled them. Oh man, I'm craving one now lol I'm going to have to try that with my rice cooker. All I've ever done is rice and quinoa.