Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   almost 2yrs and not talking? Please help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5684)

my3punkins2005 05-13-2006 11:24 AM

almost 2yrs and not talking? Please help!

I need some help / info my nephew is almost 2yrs( june 12th) and i have only heard him say mama mostly he just points and grunts or screams and my sister just gives him whatever he points at ..she says he will say a sentence just out of the blue and rarely..the sentence will be what he has heard someone else say mostly what the grandparents have said (he lives with the absent fathers parents home..lol long story)..i have never heard him say a sentence and no one else on our side of the family has either..is this normal in an only child who is getting ready to turn two?...i have three boys and mine all seemed to talk early/on time..we have a doctors appt(pediatrician) at the same time and she says she is going to ask her after everyone in the family has been harping on her about him not talking..just hopeing for some info..could this be and early sign of a learning disability..father supposidly has ADD i personally think he was mentally slow..BUT..thats just me lol !

SheilaJoy 05-13-2006 11:28 AM

Re: almost 2yrs and not talking? Please help!

My ds is three and a half and didn't start talking until he was 2. And that was only one word at a time. He didn't start putting together little sentences until he was close to three. Now, in the past month, he is finally starting to use longer sentences.

We were worried for a long time. We thought he might be autistic, we thought he had a hearing problem (he doesn't, we had that checked). We had him in speech and occupational therapy (which was VERY expensive and he had minimal improvement with it).

Now, I am convinced that some kids just don't talk when they're expected to. I know he's not autistic now because he shows no signs of being. And like I said, he is improving daily, so we are no longer worried. I hope that helped a little. :mrgreen:

Tummy 05-13-2006 11:36 AM

I urge you to read things about "crystal Children"and "Indigo Children" ... Not saying this is what he is but, it is a possibility. I have read that Crystal Children do not talk until well into their second-third year of life. That they do not have a 'need' to talk cause they can communicate telepathicly.
Check this out.
http://www.crystalchildren.com/autho..._get_ready.htm
Quote:

They also have physical challenges that have already begun to surface. Having loose ethereal bodies to enable inter-dimensional abilities, these children are vulnerable to influences that push them out of their body. This may appear as autism in the first Crystal children.
http://www.starchildascension.org/starchild/what.html
^Indigo and Crystal Children

My 3rd DS did not talk til he was close to 2.5.. Pedi wanted him to go to speach therapy.. I refused.. well, he talked when HE WAS READY to talk..and I promise you this.. the boy has NOT STOPED TALKING YET!!!

allycat 05-13-2006 11:47 AM

My son was the same way. He didn't talk until after 2. His doctors had me worried for about half a year and were concerned every time I saw them. He talks like crazy now though!!

Pocket_Mama 05-13-2006 11:56 AM

Haven't read the other replies but my daughter didn't say one word - NOTHING - until she was 2 years old. I think she turned 2 and practically the next day was talking! She's not yet 3 and talking very well now, better than her 4 year old brother.

Lucky Child 05-13-2006 12:05 PM

i think he's probably fine. people worry about this way too much. kids will talk when they want to talk. if he gets past 3 without saying any sort of sentence then I'd be worried. at 23 months I wouldn't worry yet. it is possible of course that he could have a disability but i wouldn't consider it just yet.

TaivensMama 05-13-2006 06:30 PM

My fiance did not speak at all until he was 3 but then he never shut up...some babies are observers and talk when they are full of how to do it correctly and then they just start out in paragraphs! I have worked with kids for years and some are late talkers and usually doesnt mean much...other times it does mean something I wouldnt really worry until three though...he may just excel at other things...like maybe he is developing his motor skills right now and the talking takes the back burner...

hockeymom6201 05-13-2006 06:33 PM

my first didn't say much until about 18 mons now 4 and wont stop talking!! Our second baby now 7 months has already said baba, mama, dada, you name it !!

rawkstarwife 05-15-2006 11:23 AM

My DS is 20 months old and although he has about twenty or thirty words under his belt, he very rarely uses them on a regular basis. He just babbles, or grunts and points to what he wants. As long as he as able to communicate in some way, it doesn't bother me.

geckoed 05-15-2006 12:39 PM

my first talked on time, but then stopped. He has autism.
my 2nd talked INSANELY early. She's a freak in the language dept!
my 3rd understood everything, but didnt talk. With a sibling with autism the Drs and relatives were worried. I was acutely AWARE of the delays. But my GUT, which is so much wiser than my head, said he was fine. When he did start he went from a few words to a few thousand phrases in a few short months. He DOES. NOT. SHUT. UP. He chatters incessantly. I love him but some days my ears BLEED for a break.
My 4th is lagging in the language dept. But he has SO many issues that a few little words are "nothing" at this point. Besides- I think he called me "mama" this weekend (he's almost 16 months)

If your nephew can "bring me the XYZ" or "get your shoes" or looks at what you talk about sometimes its probably ok.