Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Failure to thrive (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572379)

Heather81 10-10-2008 07:46 PM

Failure to thrive

That's what Haylie was diagnosed as today :( It seems breastfeeding isn't going so well.

The day she was born, we weighed 7lb 7oz..and today at 5 weeks 2 days old, she weighs................7lbs 7oz :( Her weight has fluctuated quite a bit but she's right back where she started. The HEAVIEST she got was 7lbs 11oz.

She's fine with my letdown but once it flows and the hindmilk is ready to be eating, she tires and falls alseep. She just has no energy at all. My poor little girl is wasting away.

So, i've been instructed to nurse her every 2 hours, but to also give her a suppliment (pumped milk or formula) after EVERY feeding in order to put weight on her. This is so hard for me...

I have hit so many brick walls with breastfeeding. 2 bouts of mastitis, cracked/blistered nipples, nipple refusal, weightloss, engorgement, etc and it feels like it's all for nothing. My little girl just cant get the hindmilk out. She doesn't try to (even with breast compressions).

The doctor also said that her liver has dropped some. Because of this, the cardiologist had us come in right away. He did another echo and also checked her liver via ultrasound. Everything looks fine in that area so atleast it's not her heart.

Haylie is a lazy breastfeeder. As SOON as i put her to the breast she closes her eyes and falls asleep, using me as a paci, without "eating". This is devestating.

Also, formula makes her sick. Either she's gassy, gets the runs, or throws up. We've tried NUMEROUS types. So the doctor wrote a prescription (so WIC would cover it) for Pregestimil.

At his point I have no choice but to give her formula. My friend Amy pumps for Haylie but obviously it's not enough to not use formula at all. So I have to give it to her. If this to makes her sick then the pediatrician is gonna write a prescription for breastmilk which I can submit to my insurance company. Hopefully they'll approve it and cover milk from a milbank. Seeing as how she's not gaining weight and cant tolerate formula, I would think they'd have no choice but to cover it.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you all. Im having a hard time dealing with this. I REFUSE to give up breastfeeding. The plan is to fatten her up and end up back EBFing.

olliesmomma 10-10-2008 07:50 PM

Re: Failure to thrive

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I hope things get better for you guys and you little girls starts gaining. I know how frustrating bfing issues can be

mindycat72 10-10-2008 07:57 PM

I don't have any advice, but I couldn't read this and not respond. :( I am so sorry you are going through all of this.

GEM Cloth 10-10-2008 08:01 PM

*hugs* *hugs*

Hang in there mama, don't give up. You are doing the right thing for your baby. I hope things smooth out for you soon!

greenMImama 10-10-2008 08:01 PM

Sorry mama, I really hope she can gain lots of good weight quickly.
I had some wonderful friends that pumped for my LO for a very long time.
Are you able to pump also?
Hugs mama

Heather81 10-10-2008 08:38 PM

Thanks ladies..

Yes I can pump too, but I don't get much out. It takesa full day of pumping to make a enough for 1 feeding. Maybe if I do it all the time I will be able to boost the amount that comes out. Guess i'll start tomorrow. If she's getting a suppliment anyway, then I can pump while hubby or DD feeds her.

Im still gonna nurse her as much as possible though. I dont want her forgetting how to suck at the breast. The supplimenting will NOT be a permanent thing. Im determined to make this work. It means to much to me.

AnnaG01 10-10-2008 09:39 PM

oh no heather, can you pump off the foremilk and offer her only hind milk? When you supplement her you can do it with an SNS to keep her on the boobie. I have been following your story and you've already been through so much- you can do it!

tararaboomdeea 10-10-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaG01 (Post 5047181)
oh no heather, can you pump off the foremilk and offer her only hind milk? When you supplement her you can do it with an SNS to keep her on the boobie. I have been following your story and you've already been through so much- you can do it!

This is what I would suggest, too. Pump until you feel let down, then latch her on.
Also, are you nursing her skin to skin? If she's too cozy and warm, she will fall asleep. Try to only nurse her in her diaper, in a well lit room during the day.

I'm sorry she's not gaining better. You're doing awesome! :hugs:

tinab 10-10-2008 09:49 PM

I think you should pump for a bit before nursing her too, so she has a chance to get the hindmilk from the get go. Pumping before putting her on, hopefully you can get most of the foremilk out before she gets on. Just yet another idea amoungst the million you have probably already heard.
I admire your determination. Since she has issues with the formula, have they checked her for that condition (I cannot name it right now), where she cannot tolerate even breastmilk. It's a protein allergy and I had a lady on my birth board for Josi, her DD has that. Even with an elimination diet her DD had problems. I hope Haylie doesn't have that. But if she does it would be something you cannot control or your fault. Not that any of this is your fault!
If this makes no sense, please ignore me! I am exhausted and I sometimes make no sense when I am!

cchrissyy 10-10-2008 10:12 PM

I'm sorry, that's so tough! hang in there!