Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "Are you there God, it's me Margaret..." for an 8 yr old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575180)

Nanner99 10-14-2008 08:31 AM

"Are you there God, it's me Margaret..." for an 8 yr old?

What do you think? My dd checked this out from the school library and already read a chunk of it, so I guess I am not planning to take it from her, but what are your thoughts?

TIA :goodvibes:

meghann8 10-14-2008 08:35 AM

Re: "Are you there God, it's me Margaret..." for an 8 yr old?

I loved that book as a kid!

I'm wracking my brain to see if I remember anything about it that would be bad. I guess the only thing would be if you're not ready to have the discussion about her period yet. Although some girls do get it as early as 8.

I think I would let her read it, might make it easier to break the ice on the bigger discussions in your future.

LilyGrace 10-14-2008 08:40 AM

Why not?

I'm not really a fan of censorship when it comes to books unless they're graphic novels or um, well, just graphic (Anne Rice's Beauty series, for example, will not be available in the house).
If she was bored with it she would have put it down, and it's good advice for her age anyhow. It's a pretty tame story. And it would be a great opportunity to talk to her about menstruation and even giggle about the devices poor Margaret and her friends used to use. :giggle: There's even a whole 'museum' online devoted to this subject - http://www.mum.org/belts.htm

kaspears17 10-14-2008 08:43 AM

Loved the book when I was in 2nd grade. I think it's fine. It's not like she's reading stephen king. Agree with Lily Grace on this, as usual, it's a good conversation starter. I'd read it myself and discuss it with my daughter.

Hbug 10-14-2008 08:49 AM

My Dd just read this about a month ago at almost 9. She loved it. See read my old copy, but I couldn't remember if there was anything too adult in it, so I read it after her. It was fine. I think the most questionable behavior was when Margaret played some party kissing game with a boy, and that was pretty tame.

jesshb 10-14-2008 08:52 AM

I think it was "controversial" when we were kids (can't believe the book is getting that old) because it discussed subjects (period) that at least in my community women and girls didn't talk about much.

However, I think it would be an awesome conversation starter with your daughter. That's awesome that she is such an avid reader!

Nanner99 10-14-2008 02:34 PM

Good! I honestly never read it, but know the jist of what it is about, and I remember it being censored back in the day...

Funny thing is last week she asked what my lightdays pads were and I told her. Then I asked her if she knew what a period was and she said "yes". I didn't think she knew, b/c until last week I had not had one since she was 4! But I guess her friends may be more knowledgable...

Today I told her the book had to do with Margaret getting her period, so if she didn't understand any of it, to LMK.

Thanks mamas :thumbsup:

escapethevillage 10-14-2008 04:03 PM

That book got me through puberty.

LaQuetta 10-14-2008 04:17 PM

I loved that book. I still have it around here somewhere. If I remember correctly there isn't anything in it that would be bad for an 8 year old to read. It talked about her period and I think they played spin the bottle or kiss in the closet...some time of kissing.

tararaboomdeea 10-14-2008 04:19 PM

I think 8 is a little young for that book. I'd say 10 would be a good age. My daughter is almost 8 and I don't think I'd let her read it yet.