Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   RANT! friend gonna follow some book about making baby sleep through night..... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57918)

myajdw 10-31-2006 09:20 PM

RANT! friend gonna follow some book about making baby sleep through night.....

okay...to start i apologize if i offend anybody i just think this is a cruel and stupid idea...if i offend you pm me personally if you feel the need to ream me instead of starting a debate please. i just need to rant this and get it off my chest, and would like to know if i'm just a dumb @$$ for thinking this is wrong....but with kind explanations.

so here goes, my friend (the one i've ranted about before lol...i love her to death just really believe she does not need a baby, since she obviously doesn't want to take care of him) tells me about this book some woman at the ob's office told her about that tells you how to make your baby sleep through the night by like 6 weeks (even preemies by like 8). so she wants to do this now (went out and bought the book even though she hardly has anything for her baby :whip: ). i told her "that's great, but i feed on demand" her response is "yeah, well that's not going to work for me". so she intends on starting this dumb process when she brings him home from the hospital. i just can't imagine this working, apparently for some it does.....but i'm sorry considering growth spurts and what not there has got to be some type of ignoring hunger going on.
the idea of not feeding a baby overnight really disturbs me, ebf or formula fed it just doesn't seem right that any baby can possibly be contently sleeping through the night.

i have more to say but i need to go feed my hungry baby that says he's hungry!!!!!!!!!!

soygurl 10-31-2006 09:35 PM

Re: RANT! friend gonna follow some book about making baby sleep through night.....

:hugs:
I know EXACTLY how you feel. And all I can say is I'm sorry. I get so upset hearing about stuff like this that I don't even have the energy to fight it anymore. But if you think it might help, maybe get her the Dr. Sears Sleep Book. Or the No Cry Sleep Solution. Or bombard her with inernet articles.
Did she get "BabyWise"? Because there are several links specificaly about that book and how it is very dangerous to babies. The APP has taken a stand on some of it and there are several links about it. I have them bookmarked on my computer, but unfortunetly my computer is not working at all right now and I'm using someone else's. But if you go to MDC (mothering.com/discusion) you should be able to find the links or someone who will give them to you. I'm off to try google. :hugs:

soygurl 10-31-2006 09:37 PM

Re: RANT! friend gonna follow some book about making baby sleep through night.....

Ok, if she did infact buy "Babywise" here is a site deticated to how horrible it is for babies health. www.ezzo.info
It has links to studdies linking their method with FTF and dehydrations, etc.

mama23boys 10-31-2006 09:40 PM

not to defend her bc i also dont agree with it this NUTTY idea. but some FF babies CAN sleep through the night by 6-8wks (my 2 older did-i did not force iton them) only bc formula is much thicker then bm.

now if she is going to do this while BFing she is going to have ababy who isnt going to gain weight and her and the baby are going to have serious issues!........:banghead:

tessa1002 10-31-2006 09:47 PM

Another babywise link

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/9108.html

Quote:

not to defend her bc i also dont agree with it this NUTTY idea. but some FF babies CAN sleep through the night by 6-8wks (my 2 older did-i did not force iton them) only bc formula is much thicker then bm.
The book is about a lot more that just teaching them to sleep through the night. Its pretty much about setting a rigid schedule for your baby. Like, if the baby doesn't want to eat at your scheduled time, they aren't supposed to eat until the next one. Its full of stuff like that. :(

mama23boys 10-31-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessa1002 (Post 415393)
Another babywise link

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/9108.html

The book is about a lot more that just teaching them to sleep through the night. Its pretty much about setting a rigid schedule for your baby. Like, if the baby doesn't want to eat at your scheduled time, they aren't supposed to eat until the next one. Its full of stuff like that. :(

now that is plain CRAZY!!!!!

myajdw 10-31-2006 09:53 PM

this IS the book she bought and she IS going to be breastfeeding....this just infuriates me.

mama23boys 10-31-2006 10:15 PM

:hugs: i dont blame you at all bc it ticks me off!

mistylaureena 10-31-2006 10:22 PM

funny:rofl: :rofl: Has she actually brought the baby home and tested that theory out?? :laugh: :rofl:

I know that would have never worked for my son and still wouldn't and he's 10 months old and ff! I would have bf but I never got milk supply..none..nada...zilch! I have always fed my son on demand, if he starts crying I change his dipes I warm him up and I try a bottle! My cousin is very strict with her dd and feds her at precisely ever 4 hours, even if the poor thing is screaming--Now I think thats crazy! How else is that poor child suppose to tell evryone it's hungry?? She'll figure it out once the child screams and screams

myajdw 10-31-2006 10:38 PM

misty, go to those links provided...it's awful and that's exactly what they're instructed to do is ignore their cries until it's their feeding time that is scheduled by the parents (about every 3 or 4 hours).