Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Have your kids eaten non-food items? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58170)

naturegirl7 11-01-2006 03:29 PM

Have your kids eaten non-food items?

Ds ate a rock today - and it made me think of my brother and all the stuff he used to enjoy eating as a kid (pennies, dimes, quaters, ball bearings, etc) - and got me wondering about other kids.

Has your child eaten anything non-food?
What was it?
How old were they?
And what happened/what did you do?
Did they do it repeated?

geckoed 11-01-2006 04:42 PM

Re: Have your kids eaten non-food items?

my son has Pica. He seeks out, searches for, will go to great lengths to get at certain items. He LOVES to eat crayons. He enjoys marker tips, chalk, clay, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, play-doh, sucking the "juice" out of commercial baby wipes, and pencil erasers.

SandyG 11-01-2006 05:19 PM

david has never eaten anything like that
he does love the dogs food. so i gotta watch him, he will sneak and get some. i get nutro max so i dont totally go ballistics :giggle:

GracieGooseSC 11-01-2006 06:04 PM

My 2.5 year old Halee was really bad about eating things. I kept everything up as best I could and she always managed to get things. I know the poison control number by heart. Her favorite thing to eat was diaper rash cream. She ate all kinds of things and usually poison control would tell me to give her juice, and watch for anything unusual. One time she did eat nighttime baby orajel though and had to go to the emergency room. When I called poison control I expected the usual juice thing and they said "If you can't get her to an ER in 10 mins call an ambulance." She had to have her oxgen levels monitored every 30 mins for 4 hours. There is something in it that causes the white (or red?) blood cells to not carry oxygen. It was so scary. She ended up being fine. We also had to have her tested for low iron because she ate so many weird things they thought she might have an iron deficancy. Even at 2 she will still eat hair detangler, soap, playdough, I haven't quite figured it out!:headscratch:

iris0110 11-01-2006 07:59 PM

Kearnan has oral aversions so he hardly even eats most food items, but on some rare occasions he has eaten non food items. When he was younger he ate crayons and playdough. I figured it wasn't anything to really worry about, they are non toxic and all. Now Tharen is a different story, he will stick anything in his mouth. He has eaten dust, fuzz, bugs, carpet lint, and paper so far in his short life. I don't worry about it really. I try to keep him from doing it too much, but he still gets some things in.

BeedieWeedieB 11-01-2006 08:33 PM

My oldest ds nope , not that i can remember, he does put random things in his mouth for a sec like to taste but never eats them.

Now youngest ds everything goes in but I'm blamikng that on his age, he's only 9 months. It drives me batty though, especially with 2 dogs, I feel like I need to vacuum the floors at least twice a day to keep things form his mouth (yeah like that will even come close to happening lol) My favorite so far has been him sitting and picking up dog hairs 1 by 1 form the carpet to eat, our labs fur is the same as the carpet, talk about determination. And of course when said items are removed from mouth then mama is blackballed for a while.

heidi

AngelMommy 11-01-2006 08:44 PM

my DS loves to eat soap. My pedi said it's no big deal. He also tries to eat crayons every chance he gets so we have to really watch him. The only thing hat happened with the crayon (the first time he ate a whole green one) is he pooped green for 24 hours.

He ate cat litter when he was 9 mnths. When I called poison control, they said only to worry if he ate enough for it to clump and block his stomach!

At 11 months, he ate carpet deodorizer, I called and poison control said it wouldn't hurt him, but may give him a slight stomach ache - the main ingredient was baking soda.

Since then, nothing we have had to call poison control for, but: dirt, bubble solution (more soap), leaves, cat food, paper, I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of it now! LOL

JustAugust 11-01-2006 08:46 PM

Jackson ate a bite of a paper coaster tonight at Olive Garden. He choked and puked it up. Yeah, then he grabbed my cup and spilled it all over me. It wasn't a good night. Still, it's good he puked it up, otherwise he might have really choked! Not fun.

MommyMommyMommy 11-01-2006 09:53 PM

Not my kids, but I used to eat chalk. Mmmmm, I still love the smell of chalk and am sometimes tempted to eat it still. I used to teach 5th grade and was so bummed that all the schools replaced the chalkboards with white boards and markers :lostit:

bobandjess99 11-01-2006 10:07 PM

Sigh
A container of vicks baby rub.

And, for you information, according to poison control, it is not dangerous...although I will say that 4 days of mentholated poop is NOT FUN.