Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ? for a friend (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58432)

jls~Kain~Drake 11-02-2006 10:49 AM

? for a friend

A good friend of mine just had her baby on Oct 15. The baby was 7lb 6oz at birth and 7lb 15oz at 3 days. My friend has been breastfeeding and early on, she was supplementing more but has lessened the supplementing.

Follow me?

Today she went to the WIC appt and the baby is 7lb 3oz. She's starting to really enjoy breastfeeding (and of course it's the best thing)..she's gotten past a couple of clogged ducts....now it seems like the nurses at the health dept are trying to bully her into more formula because the baby isn't gaining weight. They're concerned.

I told my friend that the best way to establish a good supply and all that stuff..is breastfeed breastfeed breastfeed...as little (to no) supplementing as possible.

If she seems satisfied and is looking and acting healthy, I dunno.....I know babies grow at different rates....all babies are different...

What else can I tell my friend? What more can I suggest or...what?

EmnJJsMom 11-02-2006 10:52 AM

Re: ? for a friend

How old is the baby now?? I would suggest as long as baby is peeing often and pooping normal poopies...not to worry so much...but that kind of depends on how old baby was when it lost weight.

EmnJJsMom 11-02-2006 10:54 AM

Nm...I just read that more...I would give her advice on helping build her milk supply, baby isn't that old yet to start being concerned. Since she was supplementing she probably just doesn't have the full supply that she should.

sammy21901 11-02-2006 10:56 AM

Is she weighing the baby on the same scale? That could be a big difference. That's a huge gain for a three day old baby and it seems weird that she's lost so much since them.

What about dirty/wet diapers? Like you said, nurse, nurse, nurse! Good luck to your friend.

moonphishers 11-02-2006 11:03 AM

First let me say I am sorry for the link heavy post - but hopefully you'll find something here to help/encourage your friend!!

:mrgreen: I find it humorous that the ladies at the health dept are pressuring her to supp. :banghead:

It is true- nurse nurse nurse is the best way to get the supply going and keep it up. The baby is just about 2 weeks old and generally babes will regain their birth weight by 2 weeks - but some are different indeed.

The best indicator of "health" is the babe is getting enough..

Quote:

Notes on scales and weights
Scales are all different. We have documented significant differences from one scale to another. Weights have often been written down wrong. A soaked cloth diaper may weigh 250 grams (half a pound) or more, so babies should be weighed naked or with a brand new dry diaper.
Many rules about weight gain are taken from observations of growth of formula feeding babies. They do not necessarily apply to breastfeeding babies. A slow start may be compensated for later, by fixing the breastfeeding. Growth charts are guidelines only.

Link re: weight gain etc...
Kellymom is a great resource as well!!

And another

And again

If she can get in touch with a LLL group or an IBCLC that would be her best bet, I would say!!

good for you for being a helpful and encouraging friend!!

The LLL boards have been very useful to new, and experienced moms alike ~ maybe when you get a chance you or she could check stuff out there as well!!

:thumbsup:

jls~Kain~Drake 11-02-2006 12:41 PM

Thank you everybody!!!

TheRossFamily 11-02-2006 01:58 PM

Encourage your friend to pay attention to wet/poopy diapers, and keep in close contact with her so that she continues to feel that she is indeed doing the right thing. I agree with pp that the weight gain sounds okay, she is only 2 wks old. The first 40 days are the hardest, so she is almost half way through that. I agree that supplementing will just make the problem worse.

Mom2Natalya 11-02-2006 09:07 PM

All I can say is that based on my personal experience the women at WIC don't know as much about bf'ing as they'd like to think they do.
If she or her pediatrician are concerned about her baby's weight gain, she might want to talk to someone at the LLL. Other than that, yep, nurse, nurse, and more nursing- that's how you build supply. The more you supplement, the more you'll have to (make sense?)
Good luck to her!