Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you do when... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585250)

UnderTheStars 10-24-2008 09:54 PM

What do you do when...

...your baby's breath could kill a small horse? I used to love the sweet smell of baby breath but mercy, ever since this child started eating solids her breath has gotten terrible! She's only 8mos old, with two teeth - at what point are you supposed to start "brushing" them? (And if I'm already behind on doing some sort of "maintenence", please tell me! I'm new at this mom thing!)

lovinclothmama 10-24-2008 09:59 PM

Re: What do you do when...

If I remember correctly around 1 1/2 - 2 yo is when you start brushing! Not sure what to say about stinky breath at this age. Maybe ask the doc what you could do?

snangel 10-24-2008 11:10 PM

My youngest see's a cranio facial team, and his orthodontist told us to brush his gums with a "baby tooth brush" With my younger 2 we started at the first signs of teeth. I don't know what is "normal" though....

tallanvor 10-25-2008 12:21 AM

I have heard it said before that when your children start getting teeth, to start brushing. I know of some parents that just take a wet cloth and rub their babies gums without using any sort of tooth cleanser. I don't see how it could hurt to start brushing at this age. If you are not sure about using cleanser, just do it with water and that should help.

ouchienurse 10-25-2008 01:42 AM

They make infant tooth cleanser. Orajel makes a good one and it comes with a little "brush" that goes on your finger and you just rub their gums

Shaylee 10-25-2008 08:46 AM

FYI... Our pediatric dentist told us that most of the bacteria in a child's mouth comes from a parent or caregiver sharing food or utensils with them. We shared utensils all the time with our first child but have been more careful with our second. We also stop relatives from sharing their utensils with our LOs. It is sometimes uncomfortable telling a grandparent what to do, but it is better than the alternative.

rlr10200 10-25-2008 03:10 PM

My youngest just got his first tooth. We havent done it yet but Ive been told by numerous dr.s and other experts to wipe with a wet washcloth once or twice a day until they have more teeth to brush. Thats what we did with DS1. Also, Im certainly no expert but you may wanna ask a DR because I didnt think that bad breath is normal in babies, even if they eat solids and have a few teeth. Id check on it just to be extra sure.

rlr10200 10-25-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaylee (Post 5194914)
FYI... Our pediatric dentist told us that most of the bacteria in a child's mouth comes from a parent or caregiver sharing food or utensils with them. We shared utensils all the time with our first child but have been more careful with our second. We also stop relatives from sharing their utensils with our LOs. It is sometimes uncomfortable telling a grandparent what to do, but it is better than the alternative.

:yeahthat:

We never share with our babe...kinda sad but for the best. Ive also seen some mamas wet their babies paci with thier mouth....not sure what thats about but it spreads bacteria that babies dont naturally have in their mouths.

UnderTheStars 10-26-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaylee (Post 5194914)

Huh - that's interesting! We don't ever share utensils with her (she has her own little baby spoons) BUT I have been known to bite off a small piece of something we are eating to give to her. I suppose that's the same kind of thing?

clechatelier 10-27-2008 06:03 PM

We've been brushing DD's teeth since they started coming out. She's only 14 months now but I can tell in the morning when I forgot to brush her teeth the night before! Its not rank or anything but its not sweet like usual. We use a child toothbrush with a tiny bit of children's toothpaste. She's very cooperative and never refuses. We also let her have water right before bed so maybe that helps too!