Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "It's Just A Plant" book... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585884)

~Laura~ 10-25-2008 09:22 PM

"It's Just A Plant" book...

I ran across this book at a store. I didn't get a chance to read the whole thing before we left. What I did read was quite interesting. You can read the first few pages online.
My question is, would you read this book to your child?

Joyful Tie Dyes 10-25-2008 09:23 PM

Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

When it was age appropriate I would. We have a copy.

vickieboggs 10-25-2008 09:36 PM

no, absolutely not!! I think it's horrible!!!!

wonder when they will bring out the cocaine, acid, mushroom, lsd, crack, etc etc books????

:dontlikeit:

Anna1345 10-25-2008 09:39 PM

Although it is CRITICAL to talk to you kids about drugs openly and honestly, I don' tthink this book is a good way of doing it.

JayTee 10-25-2008 09:45 PM

Are you for real?? A parent that would teach a young child that pot is okay is seriously no one I care to know.

stacey 10-25-2008 09:46 PM

I have to get that book. And then maybe even hide it from my kids. we will have to see! I want to read the whole book. I am not sure my kids need to know what we adults 'partake' in. I wonder if they already do? hmmm.

Michelle_M 10-25-2008 09:54 PM

No I would definaetly NOT read this book to my child!!! How can you teach your child to respect authority and laws and then read them a book that says it's ok to do drugs. Why not bring out a book that says acid, exstacy, cocain, etc... are all "medicines" that are "ok for adults" to use...

ABSOULTLY NOT! Like another person said, it is CRITICAL that we teach our children about drugs (where my friend lives they had made drugs that looked like candy and were passing it out to playground kids. When it came on the news she asked her son "What do you think that is?" He said "Strawberry candy." So at FOUR years old she had to tell her son that it was NOT candy, that it was "bad medicine" and not to take ANY candy or medicine from anybody unless mommy or daddy or grandma said it was ok.)....but no, this book is NOT the way to do it. I'm NOT teaching my children that drugs are ok.

Now, if you live in a state where it's legal, and you have prescription for it, then that's different.

Just my opinion.

mcpforever 10-25-2008 09:56 PM

Since MJ is a "gateway drug" I would never read a book like this to my child UNLESS it was simply to show my child what is WRONG with this kind of thinking. The title completely diminishes the issue.

hippydippymama 10-25-2008 10:08 PM

At an appropriate age, yes. And only if they were curious about pot. For a long time I was seriously misguided about pot, and if I'd had a resource like this it probably wouldn't have seemed like such a big deal to try. Take away the mystery, so to speak.

peaches330 10-25-2008 10:08 PM

I am a person who will have to teach my kids about it. My DH smokes medical marijuana and he is currently working on opening a cannabis club here in CA so my kids will have to be well informed about everything. I may consider getting this book, but honestly it sounded kinda corny to me. I think that I would rather have a talk with them and word it on my own.