Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How will Santa find us if we travel over Christmas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586937)

geez0pete 10-27-2008 12:34 PM

How will Santa find us if we travel over Christmas?

We plan on visiting family out-of-state over the holidays, and with six of us taking up space in the van, I won't be bringing the kids' gifts with us. I'm not really sure what to tell them about Santa. Should we celebrate early and say we asked Santa to come before we left or should we wait until we get back home and see gifts waiting for them? Also, how do we handle the cousins having gifts under their tree but not ours (well, they may have a couple small things just because)? I know we're not the only family that's had this come up so I'm hoping for some good suggestions! TIA!

meghann8 10-27-2008 12:50 PM

Re: How will Santa find us if we travel over Christmas?

For us, Santa just came to the hotel. If that's not an option though, I think I'd lean towards asking him to come a little early this year.

eguisgirl 10-27-2008 12:52 PM

GL with that! We actually don't teach our kids about Santa, so it hasn't been an issue.. Hope you find a good solution!

SubliminalDarkness 10-27-2008 12:54 PM

I would think it would be hard for them to see Christmas Day come and go and not have gotten their presents.
I'd opt for sending Santa a letter asking to send an elf with a special delivery a little early that year.

Namaste 10-27-2008 01:17 PM

I would wait until I got home. Here's the reason: something to look forward to on the way home. Just make sure you bring some gifts that will keep them entertained.

geez0pete 10-27-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness (Post 5212728)
I would think it would be hard for them to see Christmas Day come and go and not have gotten their presents.
I'd opt for sending Santa a letter asking to send an elf with a special delivery a little early that year.

I like the elf idea! If Santa came early I know I would have to answer tons of questions about how he could get away...but he definitely could spare an elf. Any other suggestions?

geez0pete 10-27-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namaste (Post 5212977)
I would wait until I got home. Here's the reason: something to look forward to on the way home. Just make sure you bring some gifts that will keep them entertained.

That does make sense but my kids are 6 1/2, 4 1/2, and 2 1/2 yo twins. Now that I think more about it, they would probably bug us all.the.way.home if they knew gifts were waiting for them.

HIOStarz4 10-27-2008 01:43 PM

We go to see my DH's family every other year. Our tradition is Santa Visits our house while we are gone. Since we have presents to open from family it is no big deal. We do bring one or two REALY wanted small presents with a note that Santa leaves reassuring our DD that he visited our house and she will be VERY happy when she gets home.
So, how I do this is before we leave I have DH take the kids out, or if she is still in school I set up everything b4 we leave just like I would Christmas eve night, the stalkings all filled the presesnts under the tree and Santa's gift hiding with the tresure map ready to read!
HTH =)

CarrieMF 10-27-2008 02:42 PM

We do the same thing my parents used to do(until we ALL stopped believing) was make sure Santa presents were smaller items so we could take them. Presents from siblings & parents stay at home & we either open them before(then they have something new to play with on the way) or when we get home.

As kids got older & they could process the thought behind it, Santa would leave a note that the presents were at home. There was ALWAYS at least 1 thing from Santa under the tree wherever we were though.

You could also send things ahead IF you're taking gifts for other people & will have room on the way home.

SubliminalDarkness 10-27-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbaliff (Post 5213230)
I like the elf idea! If Santa came early I know I would have to answer tons of questions about how he could get away...but he definitely could spare an elf. Any other suggestions?

Ummm... Maybe you can schedule a delivery date? And I guess you'll need a story. Maybe elves come in North Pole helicopters? And I'm guessing they like mini versions of the same snacks Santa enjoys, being that they're so small.