Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Santa pictures help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587007)

starina_bliss 10-27-2008 01:31 PM

Santa pictures help!

both of my dds are scared of santa. i don't push them to get a picture but we like to try each year...with no success. i was wondering what suggestions any of you have. how do you get your lo to get a pic wth santa?

CarrieMF 10-27-2008 01:37 PM

Re: Santa pictures help!

We took our oldest once for her 2nd christmas. She was 13months. She cried only when she went to him. The worst is the overly expensive photo.

Now at Dh's work kids christmas party Santa always makes an appearance & we get an individual picture of them with Santa then.

odentonmom 10-27-2008 02:13 PM

I go and hang out in the area first and let them watch the other kids seeing Santa for a little while. We talk about how nice it is to tell Santa a couple of things you might want for Christmas and that he will give you a coloring book or whatever it is.

Two of my kids were scared of Santa for a year or two. We have taken them all every year and always bought the picture. I get the other kids who are not scared to take their turn and then, when I am ready to do the picture of them all together with Santa, I get everyone in place and pop the scared one in at the last minute. I tell the photographer and Santa, they may cry, so let's work fast and as long as my other kids are smiling and looking at the camera, snap it. I figure it marks that period in time, they were a little scared of Santa or perhaps any stranger holding them at that time. It is a brief moment and I am right there where they can see me. My 8 y/o loves seeing the picture of him and his older brother with Santa where he was crying. He thinks it is hilarious.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

starina_bliss 10-27-2008 04:42 PM

yeah, my dd is almost 7 and she is scared of anyone in a suit but halloween costumes are different (maybe because they are the same size as her then). The first time she say santa i sat on his lap with her on my lap and she still cried! i was thinking of having them sit in santa's chair this year and having santa peek over the back so maybe they won't cry this year...but then again it is almost like a tradition to get a pic of them crying around santa! lol

JulieBeth 10-27-2008 04:51 PM

I had a friend that had her daughter sit on her lap in Santa's chair and Santa was peeking our from behind the chair. It was actually really cute!

*Aimee* 10-27-2008 04:53 PM

Oh I'm so traumatized by this. Last year we took DS1 to get his picture taken with santa. We don't actually do santa, like, our son knows he's pretend. But we still have fun, like a halloween or just pretend. Well, we took him and my mom was up on stage with him. I was pregnant so I was down taking pictures (in addition to the expensive one). Well, Rune started screaming, he was so afraid. They HELD him there! And I was yelling "No! Let him down!" but they wouldn't. I had to climb my butt up there and say "LET.HIM. DOWN.". I talked to the picture lady and told her that it was horrible they wouldn't let him down and she said most people just want her to keep trying until she could get a cute picture.

I found that horrible. I guess I don't see the point. My son cried so hard he had hiccups and was upset the rest of the day. I can't look at the pictures of him screaming without being teary eyed.

To us, we know he's just a guy getting paid, but to them, he's a horrible, unsafe, scary stranger. I will never force my babies to go through that all for the sake of a picture ever again.

Sorry, thats probably more than you wanted to know :giggle2: Like I said I'm just still traumatized.