Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Question for co-sleepers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587431)

mrscakes 10-27-2008 10:17 PM

Question for co-sleepers

What do you do with a baby that seems more comfy in his own space but won't sleep there?? Z's 11 mos and we've been co-sleeping his whole life (starting in a sidecar co-sleeper and eventually in our bed). Our usual routine is he goes in his crib at about 8 (his bedtime) and when he wakes up around midnight I bring him to bed. We've gone through rough periods with sleeping before, but I'm not getting any decent sleep with him in our bed anymore. He tosses and turns, thrashes and crawls around, and tries to nurse on and off all night - but while still thrashing around which is NOT pleasant for me.

I'm not set on giving up co-sleeping, and I'd be sad to give up waking up to Z's sloppy kisses every morning... but it's getting ridiculous. He sleeps so peacefully in his crib, but I just can't get him to stay there. CIO is not an option for us, but I really don't know what to do. Anyone been here?

earthmamastyle 10-27-2008 10:28 PM

Re: Question for co-sleepers

yes, I went through that with my DD who is now 2 1/2 years old. Sadly mama it will go by so fast and you will be looking back missing it sooo bad! I have a 2 mo now and so I can't cosleep yet with both of them because I worry my DD will hurt my DS while we sleep. I miss the days of my DD driving me crazy at night! It does seem as they get older they thrash around more while they sleep! I promise it will pass soooo fast! So enjoy it while it lasts is the only advice I have!!

I Smile Because Of Them 10-27-2008 10:29 PM

What if you side car the crib. He'll still be in his own space, and you'll still get to sleep right next to him.

SamanthaE 10-27-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesis&AbramsMom (Post 5218109)
What if you side car the crib. He'll still be in his own space, and you'll still get to sleep right next to him.

:yeahthat: My DS(2yrs) sleeps in a toddler bed right up against our bed and our DD(5months) sleeps in the bed. You could easily do it with a crib. I love it like that. I get to cuddle with my hubbie but I get to also get the comfort of sleeping next to DS. Well hubbie sleeps right next to him cause they both snore. :giggle2:

Ami in Deutschland 10-28-2008 06:48 AM

We stopped co-sleeping for this same reason, but DS is back in our bed now (if he wakes in the night) as he seems to have outgrown the thrashing around. I quit night-nursing and moved him into his own room with his crib (had been sidecar) at the same time. It was a pain waking up to comfort in his room so he could go back to sleep, but he woke up less frequently than while co-sleeping. In the meantime, we got a bigger bed, so now he has a little room to roll around between DH and me. If you have to quit co-sleeping temporarily, I think there's no shame in that. A well-rested mama is a good mama.

momof3boys1girl 10-28-2008 09:36 AM

DD stopped co sleeping at 12 months because of this. She went to a toddler bed right next to ours, then we moved and she got her own room(she was 2 then) DS co slept till 8 months and he slept better in the crib so we switched him. He has been in his own room ever since. GL mama take it slow if you are wanting to make the switch Im sure it will all work out!