Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Safe haven laws (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58929)

betty_joanne 11-03-2006 03:50 PM

Safe haven laws

So, does your pre-teen or teenager know about the safe haven laws? Do you plan on telling them? If so, at what age? Just curious since that is the topic on Oprah today.

SugarBunsWool&More 11-03-2006 04:05 PM

Re: Safe haven laws

I watched that Oprah. I was just ill over the fake tears that mama was 'crying'. Absolutely ILL.

AngelMommy 11-03-2006 04:42 PM

What are safe haven laws?

jls~Kain~Drake 11-03-2006 05:21 PM

Yeah, I'm clueless but very interested.

janendragon 11-03-2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelMommy (Post 423197)
What are safe haven laws?

its a law that lets you drop a baby off at a police station or fire dept with no questions asked and no consquences to you. Its to help teens who have babys, instead of them hiding the baby behind/in a trash can or killing it, they have somewhere safe to take them.

I plan to tell all my kids about it at the same time we have the sex and protection talk.

pinkflamingos77 11-03-2006 05:32 PM

When we have the sex, protection talk. I will tell them about the safe haven laws.

That girls is so fake on there!!!!!!!! :yuck:

SheilaJoy 11-03-2006 05:36 PM

I'm watching it right now, and the girl infuriates me.

I'm not sure about the OP's question, though. Will I tell my daughter that if she gets herself pregnant, she can take the baby to a hospital and drop it off? No.

She will know how we feel about sex before marriage, but we will also tell our children that if they ever make a mistake and get pregnant, we will take the child in and help and support them completely.

jls~Kain~Drake 11-03-2006 05:45 PM

I hope (as I'd assume most parents would) that my boys will grow to be good people. I would hope that I can raise them to make smart decisions and know that for every action, there is a reaction...or, for every act - there is a consequence. In an appropriate way, I will tell them about the safe haven laws. I want to explain it in such a way...that they don't think, hey...i can keep the baby and deal with it...or i can drop it off at the hospital with no consequence. I want them to see it as a last resort...if it's necessary to keep the baby healthy, then by all means (as opposed to dropping it in a dumpster, etc). i hope my point came across right...I'm having some trouble with words today.

janendragon 11-03-2006 05:48 PM

I plan to tell all my kids because even though they can always come to me if it happens to them, maybe they will have a freind who doesnt, and them knowing could help out their friend and save a baby.

pinkflamingos77 11-03-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romans_mum (Post 423339)
I plan to tell all my kids because even though they can always come to me if it happens to them, maybe they will have a freind who doesnt, and them knowing could help out their friend and save a baby.

Exactly. I think the info should be put out there with everything else.