Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How did you get through the first part? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59364)

usandthegirls 11-04-2006 11:20 PM

How did you get through the first part?

Baby #3 is expected fairly soon. I want so badly to have a successful nursing relationship this time (and a long one). The reason I stopped with my last DD was because of PPD. It was pretty bad and while I did get help and felt better eventually, it was too late. I have regretted giving up.

I know what is coming my way this time (or what could be coming) WRT PPD. I am now taking Zoloft (since the PPD with my second DD) so that will probably help with those issues, but I am terrified that I will want to give up again and have that awful helpless feeling. I looked up LLL and there are none in my city (boo hiss).

How can I prepare myself to get through those roller coaster first few weeks? I have never had a successful nursing relationship with either of my first daughters so this is all pretty new to me.

Anyone BTDT? Do I just have to trudge through and look forward to the light at the end of the tunnel? Anyone bottle feed then have a successful BF'ing relationship? How did you deal with the obvious differences such as not having help with feedings, sleeplessness, etc etc. I am trying to prepare as best I can :)

Thanks ladies!

-Samantha

OneFabMama 11-04-2006 11:31 PM

Re: How did you get through the first part?

I havent been there done that personally.

But what was really great for me that really did help me from not giving up those first few weeks wasa great support system. That happened to be my DH, and some family memebers but it can be anyone. Meet with your local LLL group, the mamas here, friends, family, DH, a SIL or your own sister. Whoever. But, I think that is really important to keep ya going when you think you cant do it! :hugs:

Also as far as bottlefeeding and then go on to BF. My DD did get formula and BM for about 6 weeks until we really settled into a BFing schedule. And, I nursed her until she was 15 mo old.

As far as sleeping - we co slept mostly when she was that little. It really helped. She was right there when she was hungry I was right there and it worked.

If you need help or a break and need someone else to feed her you can always pump and go that route! Nothing wrong with that at all.

And, good for you for wanting to give it another shot!

Keira's mommy 11-05-2006 07:46 AM

I have only one child, but I can remember wanting to give up breastfeeding at one point. I know that EVERYONE says it gets easier and it's so hard to believe...but it really truly does! I LOVE bfing now, it's our "bonding" time. I think that the first thing you need to do is THINK POSITIVE! :yay: Tell yourself "I can do this, I want to do this, I will do this!" Once you get established Bfing si sooooo much easier than bottle feeding. Also you should meet with a LC once baby is born, they are so supportive and will guide you through and give you that boost of confidence that you need. I wish you only good luck! take care- Melissa

BTW- If you email through LLL a counselor will get back to you, I have gotten som very informative answers from them, another thing...have you been to Kellymom.com? If not, take a look

Shawna_L 11-05-2006 08:27 AM

You need support momma!!! :goodvibes: Have you talked about your worries with your DH? I would start there and explain how important this is to you. I would have stopped nursing at 6 weeks if not for hubby. He just wouldn't let me. Period. Nursing sessions were awful and usually included me crying. Luckily we had talked at length prior to baby and he was very educated about breastfeeding. After DH I would rally your all friends and family who might be helping you. Have resources ready ahead of time. A friend who can come over or that you can call. Come here and ask for support. Whatever helps you.

What also helped me and I know that not everyone would agree with this, but I needed breaks from time to time. Having a good quality breastpump so that DS could learn to bottle-feed was wonderful. Just having DH give him one bottle a day of expressed milk helped me keep my sanity. The pump has also been valuable in helping through times when my supply needed a boost.

Good luck...and remember no matter the outcome you're a wonderful momma. Be committed to BF, but don't be hard on yourself. :hugs:

mama23boys 11-05-2006 11:23 AM

i bottle feed my oldest 2 bc nursing was SO SO hard. i didnt have the support to do it from anyone! and they didnt room with me in the hospital for the first day or so.

with ds i wanted to nurse but i also stocked up on bottles and formula bc i seriously didnt think i was going to last but a few days.

when i was in labor with ds the nurses asked if i was bottle-feeding or BFing. i told them BFing so it was noted and MARKED that he was NO formula, NO water, NO pacifiers. he stayed in the room with me and NEVER taken to the nursey. the hospital LC and nurses were so awesome with showing me what to do and how to do it. they have a great support system in place and are highly rated for being a BF friendly hospital.

what you need to do is start going to LLL meetings, talk to your DH about how important nursing is to you and how much you will need his help with the other kids ESP in the first few weeks. co-sleeping it will be a life saver! i didnt start co-sleeping until he was over month old. i spent the majorty of the night up adn nursing him. when i figured out how to nurse laying down i was a new woman bc i FINALLY felt like i had a good nights sleep.

i've never pumped at all bc that was was my downhill slide with ds #2 and i didnt want to start the cycle again.

whatever ends up happening just know that you are a GREAT mama :hugs:

kht2006 11-05-2006 01:11 PM

I think nursing probably saved me from the depths of PPD. All those wonderful nursing hormones made a huge difference. When I was feeling blue I nursed. It was hard, but it was so worth it and feeding her now is so easy. I love nursing. I didn't read all the PPs but I would suggest that you talk with an LC at the hospital, and ask specifically that they show you how to nurse laying down. that was a lifesaver. We co-sleep and that makes BFing easier than formula. Also, my husband is super supportive and that made all the difference. PM me if you want to talk!
Karen

ailurus 11-05-2006 03:21 PM

I agree with the pp. Once you master nursing lying down it's like a whole new world! I was so frustrated and sore the first few weeks I just wanted to cry (as well as sleep deprived). Once we learned how to nurse lying down I was able to sleep and actually enjoy the time. My dd still nurses every two hours throughout the night but now I just pull her into bed with me (we have a co-sleeper by the bed) and we both sleep better.

peetred 11-05-2006 09:18 PM

You need support, support, support! You need somebody there helping you out. My hubby was my rock with breastfeeding. I wouldn't have made it without him and my mom. Also, you will need to be in contact with a lactation consultant with a 24 hour contact number.

As for you support and help... Have your helper (hubby or mom or whatever) get you water, make you meals, bring the baby to you to feed, and pamper you while you do your important job. Also, make sure you have somebody or people to talk to when you feel like quitting or need help. Breastfeeding.com is a great site. Check out their forums. There is usually somebody there to help out if you post. LLL is also a great site. I have relied on it many time for answers to my questions.

And I agree, when you master nursing lying down the world changes! lol. It is so wonderful! You enter a world of being able to sleep while baby is nursing! It's great, lol. Things really do get easier. I look back on those first few weeks. I was so nervous. It was so much harder then. My son is almost 5 months old and we are nursing strong! He has never tasted formula in his life!

:)

peetred 11-05-2006 09:22 PM

OH and just to add... I have just been winning my battle with PPD in the last month. I had a severe case of PPD, that peeked around 3 months PP. One thing that added to the PPD was that I bled for 12 weeks after my sons birth. There were days when I felt no hope. I felt like a piece of meat to my child, and the bleeding was overwhelming. I would sit on the toilet and cry. but those days you just have to just get through. Get through them until you wake up one day and feel like enjoying life!