Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Soup receipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59833)

spathakis 11-06-2006 02:42 PM

Soup receipes

I am looking for some simple healthy ( if possible) soup receipes.Vegetarian reecipes only

anyone want to share?
I love chicken tortilla soup ( i am vegetrain though)

titania 11-06-2006 08:09 PM

Re: Soup receipes

oohhh i love making soup!! its what i do best! :mrgreen: most of the time i just make it up as i go, so i will try and put it into words! :lostit: use as much of the ingredients as you want/have on hand. i basically just see what i have and put it all together and hope for the best.

this is one i made two days ago~~

1.5 cups navy beans (dry; soaked overnight, though soaking is not necessary)
carrots
onion
celery
potatoes
cabbage
canned diced tomatoes (1 15 oz can; added toward the end)
bay leaf
thyme (about 2 tsp)
veg soup base (to taste)
salt/pepper (to taste)

here's another one~~

onion
garlic
carrots
celery
tomatoes
corn
cabbage (bok choy is good too, if you don't want to use cabbage)
veggie soup base
salt/pepper
bay
thyme
pasta (whatever you have, i have even broken up pieces of lasagne noodles--worked great!)

and here's one we LOVE from gourmet~~

chickpea, lentil and rice soup (also called harira):

3 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 med onions, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads (i have made it without and its just as good)
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8 cups water
1 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 cup chopped cilantro
5 med tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and pureed in food processor (i just used canned whole tomatoes, 28 oz size, pureed in processor)
2 teaspoon salt

combine chickpeas, onion, saffron, pepper and water in a 6-8 quart heavy pot. bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 mins.

stir in lentils, rice, tomato paste, parsley, cilantro, and tomato puree and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, about 30 mins. stir in salt.

the original recipe calls for lamb, which i omitted, and has alternate instructions for using dried chickpeas, which i didn't include. if you, or anyone else, wants those parts, PM and i will be glad to get them. this soup is AWESOME!!

Blackbirdlane 11-07-2006 08:19 AM

can't you use like a morningstar farms chick substitute or something? :headscratch:

I love homemade chicken soup. mmmmmmm, yummy. I usually do organic chicken.

ewebabymama 11-07-2006 10:39 AM

Cream of tomato
1 large can crushed tomatoes
bay leaves
1 chopped onion
basil
half n half, yogurt, or sour cream

Saute onion until tender and translucent. Add rest of ingredients and heat through. Use a stick blender to blend to a creamy consistency (or leave it as is and you'll have a chunkier soup) Right before serving add in half n half, yogurt, or sour cream for a cream of tomato soup.

Broccoli or cauliflower cheese soup
1-2 packages frozen broccoli or califlower (or 1 large head of fresh cauliflower and 2-3 heads of broccoli).
Veggie broth 6-8 cups or however much you want
1 chopped onion

Simmer above ingredients until veggies are tender. Add in 1 cup cheese of your choice (I like velveeta). Mix together 1/2 cup water or milk and some flour. Add to soup and simmer to thicken. Serve with chunky veggies or blend to smooth it out.

Potato soup
5-6 chopped potatoes
1 chopped onion
minced garlic
veggie broth
thyme, parsley, and rosemary (I use dried spices and just sprinkle them in)

Saute onion and garlic until tender (can skip this, but it gives a richer flavor). Add spices and cook for a few minutes. Add broth and potatoes and simmer till potatoes are tender. We like to add velveeta cheese to it as well. You can also bring it to a boil and then mix cornstarch with 1 cup cold water or milk. Add cornstarch mixture to soup and it will thicken making a potato chowder. I also like to add corn and carrots sometimes for a little twist.

Veggie barley stew

(Can use fresh, frozen, or canned veggies)
potatoes
carrots
celery
peas
corn
green beans
cabbage
onion
garlic
can diced tomatoes
veggie broth
thyme, rosemary, marjoram
1/2 cup barley

Add everything to pot and simmer. Yummo!

FitMommyOf2 11-08-2006 01:36 PM

Oh, another great thread! :drool:

I have a potato soup recipe that my family loves:

6-8 medium/large potatoes
1 leek
cube of vegetable buillon
cream
spices as desired

Cut potatoes into cubes and cook in enough water to cover them completely.
Add the buillon cube and cut leek
When potatoes are done, puree everything with a stick mixer (? :dunno: the proper word :blush:) and add cream as desired.
Pronto. ;)

I'm currently having everything in the crock pot on hot, I hope it's gonna turn out just aswell as on the stove.

reborin 11-08-2006 10:19 PM

How well does it work to replace cream with non-dairy options? We're non-dairy here. I was wondering maube cocout milk, or tofu sour cream?

reborin 11-08-2006 10:27 PM

Ok - my fave:

One butternut squash, baked and blended in food processor with:

one can coconut milk (light)

Dump into a pot with some veg broth or water (3-4 cups), sauteed onion and garlic, some cumin and ginger (about 1/2 tsp of each? taste test for yourself). Can add: shreaded zucchini, shreaded carrots, chopped spinich/bok choy, etc. - the fewer big veggies in the pot the more my kids iwll eat of this. Even w/just the squash and basic veg, it's super healthy. :D

I add water, as needed - thicker if you're doing this with a hearty bread and salad, thinner for a nice light lunch or supper warm up.

titania 11-09-2006 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reborin (Post 437050)
How well does it work to replace cream with non-dairy options? We're non-dairy here. I was wondering maube cocout milk, or tofu sour cream?

we make potato leek soup w/o any dairy, so im sure you can just omit it. the potatoes make it nice and creamy, especially when you take the stick mixer to them :giggle: which is what we do here too. actually just bought some leeks last night to make it.

reborin 11-12-2006 09:44 PM

hee hee - I just got some leeks yesterday for pot/leek soup! I sometimes add in shreaded zucchini - makes it thick w/extra vitamins. :D Gotta slide them in where I can!