Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Starting EC from newborn stage? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598801)

whiteisle 11-11-2008 06:23 AM

Starting EC from newborn stage?

Hi! We are expecting our third babe in May 09 and I'm really, really interested in the concept of ECing. Currently, we have a 4 year old ds (who grew up in sposies) and a 2 year old dd (who has been in a mix of sposies and cloth and we are trying really hard now to incorporated the toilet more though it's rough at times, LOL).

My questions (among SO many!) is what all do I need to start ECing once we get home from the hospital? I plan on having prefolds, fitteds and covers available and lots of babylegs but what else (if anything) is necessary or even just handy to have? Tips? Tricks? Secrets???? And what about nighttime? I plan on BFing and co-sleeping but I'm not sure how to handle the nights. :headscratch: And what reading material would you recommend?

Sorry for the flood of confusion and questions! :giggle: Thank you!

MeCo7707 11-11-2008 09:28 PM

Re: Starting EC from newborn stage?

I have ec'ed my DD from just under 2 weeks (I had a big trip to take her to see my DH when she was 8 days old so I waited till that was over before I started) the only thing I had to back up my ec'ing was a newborn potty I found on the ec store website and a book called Diaper Free.

I started by putting the potty under DD while she nursed when I noticed she was going I would give the cue sound - eventually about 4 weeks later I started putting her on the potty prior to feeding and giving her the cue sound and soon she anticipated that she would potty before eating - now she tends to let me know when she has to potty - usually by fussing and she has a BBLP which she loves, and sometimes will even potty just by putting her on it! Nighttime I just put her on the potty when she wakes up to eat and she usually goes - some nights she will pee in her sleep - but that is to be expected. I also kept her pretty much naked for the first month...helped a lot - then when she was 6 weeks I switched her from pre-folds to all in ones and it made getting them on and off SO much easier. The only thing I had a problem with was onsies I've decided I detest them - too much hassle to try to hold up the flaps and feed and potty all at the same time lol.

Good Luck mama - you will do great!

Mommyw/diapers 11-15-2008 06:21 PM

I think it's easier with a dd. I just kept her diaper off and put her on a mattress pad while co-sleeping when she was on the out side of the bed (as opposed to the middle). I never had to change the top sheet or blankets when she wet. She was dry most nights. No problem. We used the BabyBjörn Little Potty (the one that is 1-piece). Now that she is older she uses the BabyBjörn Potty Chair (2-piece one)

I've not done that with ds because it could go "anywhere". I put him in a diaper at night. We use the BabyBjörn Little Potty (the one that is 1-piece) for ds and don't have any problems with aim when we just sit him on there. It works nicely. First thing every morning he has a bm. The little potty lets his feet touch the floor for stability.

amygabrielle 11-16-2008 12:37 PM

I started ec'ing dd2 when she was about 2 weeks old. Little ones pee so much in the beginning it can get overwhelming when you've got more than one kid underfoot. I started just catching the poops, as those were the easiest to figure out. DD2 would get all fussy and antsy before a poop. Then as time went on, I started catching pees because dd2's signals were becoming clearer and clearer. Now, we're full time ec'ers.

We used a small tupperware type container until dd2 got too big for it. Then we used the top hat type potty. The ec store sells them. Now we use the bjorn little potty and I use the top hat potty at night. dd2 is 10 months old now.

At night, I've tried several things. At first I was using a fleece blanket with prefolds on top and dd2 naked. Then she started moving and crawling, so I've found it easier to just keep her in a prefold with a Bummis cover. Plus, some nights I'm so tired I miss her cues and we have a miss. With her in a dipe it's no biggie to just changer her diaper in the middle of the night. Most nights she's dry now anyways.

whiteisle 11-16-2008 04:44 PM

Thank you, Mamas! You're actually making me believe I might be able to do this :p . LOL! I appreciate your stories and words of encouragment. :goodvibes:

MeCo7707 11-17-2008 07:42 AM

Of course you can do this! And the great thing is if ever you have a hard ec day this board is always here!

mrsdelaughter 11-19-2008 11:23 AM

I am due in March of 2009, and am planning ECing this child. From what I have read and from talking to others that EC (I have a lady in my play grout that ECs) I was told basically the same as the others have said. I was told not to do onsies or gowns. They were too hard to remove in a pinch. If you buy the little gerber lap tees, it should make it easier on you. I was also told to use prefolds or fitteds in the beginning to make it easier to take off. If you have a prefold on without a cover, and keep a bowl handy, you should be able to slid it out of the way to catch the mess. If you don't make it in time, I was told to still hold the baby over the bowl and say the cue words. Sometimes they don't fully empty their bladders with a diaper on. Also, since you are catching it immediately, you shouldn't get too wet with the prefold. Good Luck! It is definitely going to be an adventure!

Foster 11-19-2008 10:16 PM

New mamas: Please remember that the diaper is your friend! It is extremely easy to get caught up in trying to catch everything to the point where you are not enjoying your baby. When your baby goes in the diaper, that is what a diaper is for! There is nothing wrong with using a diaper cover, either.

For our family, dd was never nakey butt or coverless. I did no observing of pattens. At 6 weeks, I started putting her on the potty bowl or bblp and making cuing sounds. She knew just what to do :) I used covers and onesies all the time. When she turned 4 months old, dd was fully poop trained. How you dress your baby will depend on your mood for the day. Some days, a tee shirt is all you can handle. On others, you will tackle overalls & a onesie with ease. Now that our baby is almost 7 months old and has had nasty solids poo for two months, I am SO GLAD that we are an ec family!

ElizasMommy606 11-21-2008 03:32 PM

Hi all we used EC with my dd and she was fully potty trained during the day around 23 months. (Right before her 2nd birthday) She would wake up at night and tell me she had to go, yet sometimes she still has nightly accidents but we are not a co sleeping family. :blush:Our pedi was impressed at her 2 y/o check up!
I think every child differs, there are no tricks i know, just go with your childs individual cues!

crazyeyesmcgee 12-08-2008 05:34 PM

This is so fascinating and encouraging, I'm considering trying this with my dd due in March! I'd never heard of ec before d/s but I'm learning so much already from you ladies :goodvibes: