Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Recipe Ideas for a group? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60074)

ce&E 11-07-2006 07:10 AM

Recipe Ideas for a group?

It's ds's birthday and we are having 10 adults and 6 kids coming for dinner on Saturday and I can't think of a single thing to cook that will make everyone happy and is relatively easy so I can be at the party. Ds has a bad ear infection so I don't have a lot of time to prep this week. Please help! Thanks. Also, ds is allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts but since he is only 1 if he can't eat the main meal he won't know the difference, lol.

j9_shooter9 11-07-2006 07:14 AM

Re: Recipe Ideas for a group?

I've had big parties in the past (bigger than that even) and like to do buffet style. People can pick and choose. I did a Mexican feast with make your own soft tacos or burritos.

Had tortillas, beans, chicken, taco meat, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, salsa, olives, tomatoes....you get the point. Make your own.

Then I had a fruit plate and chips with salsa. People loved it. And it wasn't too difficult.

Another year I did make your own sub sandwiches with meats, cheeses, and all the fixings. Had fruit salad, chips and dip, veggie tray.

Just a couple ideas. It made it so I could enjoy the party.

I just did make your own banana splits for Dominic's party too. Or you can make up a bunch of cupcakes instead of a cake. Saves time.

ewebabymama 11-07-2006 08:41 AM

boy, I feel cheap now! when we have a large amount of people over I make note that it is a potluck. Then everyone brings something different and there is sure to be something to please everyone. We supply the main dish usually and I do hamburgers and/or hot dogs. Brats are a good one too. All those are very easy and little to no prep!

Blackbirdlane 11-07-2006 09:07 AM

I have a recipe for corn pudding (kind of like a soft corn bread/casserole dish)

I have cooked it and stuck it in the freezer before. grab it out and re-heat in the oven. really easy if you have those oven to freezer type of containers.

3sweeties 11-08-2006 12:37 PM

What about BBQ brisket or chicken sandwiches? I have an excellent recipe for the brisket that always gets RAVES!! It does require a nice cut of meat, which can be $$$$, and takes marinating it overnight and cooking a long time, but fairly easy. But, buying a $4.88 roaster chicken at Sam's (already cooked) :thumbsup: then shredding it...add your own BBQ sauce, some nice kaiser rolls and hoila!!! Have some cheese on the side with some good crunchy chips and maybe some fruit. YUM!! If you want to roast your own chicken, you could do that too.

ewebabymama 11-08-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3sweeties (Post 435409)
What about BBQ brisket or chicken sandwiches? I have an excellent recipe for the brisket that always gets RAVES!! It does require a nice cut of meat, which can be $$$$, and takes marinating it overnight and cooking a long time, but fairly easy. But, buying a $4.88 roaster chicken at Sam's (already cooked) :thumbsup: then shredding it...add your own BBQ sauce, some nice kaiser rolls and hoila!!! Have some cheese on the side with some good crunchy chips and maybe some fruit. YUM!! If you want to roast your own chicken, you could do that too.

I'd like the brisket recipe. Please share!

Laniemel 11-08-2006 03:37 PM

Big ole crockpot of chili, seven layer dip (let them stuff themselves with chips!). Casseroles, man, you can never go wrong with ginormous casseroles.

Shaineinok 11-08-2006 03:42 PM

Barbaque Beef sandwiches, grilled hot dogs or burgers

GrandIsp 11-08-2006 04:11 PM

If you don't mind doing a little stuffing, Manicotti has been a huge hit at the camps that I cook for...for kids and adults. Just buy the Manicotti shells they sell at the store (American Beauty Brand) and use the recipe on the back!

(I apologize for jumping in here...I never post on the Kitchen forum but this post jumped out at me and I just had to reply!). :goodvibes: